Underscan after latest update

Macburp

Macburp

When loading MBC on my extender, I quickly saw that there was underscan. This was not a concern to me, as the MCE player worked full screen.

Now I have the latest version of MB3 that uses the external player (is that TMT6?), and now the TV picture suffers from bad underscan too.

So I had a go with CBers guide to underscan (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2123-media-browser-classic-is-not-displayed-on-100-of-the-screen-how-to-troubleshoot-overscan-issues/), with some success - 

- I could not do the registry fix, as the required key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings) wasn't there

- I could not adjust the TV picture in MCE settings, as those settings are not there on an extender

- The revised overscan padding settings did work. When MBC loaded, the margins were gone. However, when I hit play the underscan came back! 

So I unticked the option to use custom player in MBC Settings. This allowed TV to run full screen, but I lose the benefits of the custom player.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?

buddyweiser

I too am having this issue with the xbox 360. I was trying to resolve the issue before I have to go to work, but my girlfriend will have to make due until I get off tonight :unsure: I will take a look at that underscan forum when I get home and report back my results.

Edit: I have always had this issue in media browser classic in the navigation, but when playing a video, it always went full-screen. In this new build of Mbc it stays "windowed" even after/during playback.

Edited by buddyweiser

techywarrior

In order for Ebr to do that custom player I believe he has to make the video play in "windowed" mode as opposed to native full screen.

I'm curious because I have a lot of (uhm, which is the one where I have to "shrink" the desktop to appear correctly on my TV?) and I adjusted it within the video drivers (Intel GPU in this system) but made no adjustment in WMC (I didn't need to after the graphic driver adjustment).

What I'd like to know is if you adjusted WMC or made the adjustment at the driver level?

ernstgot

I also get the under scan on my 360 extender.  I adjusted the overscan in my video card catalyst, so I dont see it on the main display.

buddyweiser

I have never had a problem on my main pc with this issue, only on the extender.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

buddyweiser

After reading the forum post by CBers I am hesitant to change any xml or registry's, as MBC appears perfectly on my regular computer, which uses a 40in 720p monitor. Only on the xbox 360 extender (connected to a 1080p tv) does the underscan appear, and only with MediaBrowserClassic. This is the issue ONLY seen on the xbox 360, and not on my regular PC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPwyIpKBfZTemREU1hqblNpY1U/edit?usp=sharing

buddyweiser

@@ebr I updated to the Dev version 180 and setup the over/underscan field you added. It now stretches the menu bar and weather over the entire screen, but the backdrop/video still look windowed(not showing full screen). However, they appear to be taking up more of the screen(the video is a larger window and the "border" is smaller) after I set the over/under values, but if I increase those values even more, the edges of the main menu will be pushed off screen, as well as the weather widget.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2agmgyd.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/1ifotd.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/28am44j.jpg

Thanks buddy - can you please embed your images directly in your post so I can see easier without all the other spam :).  There is a button on the editor toolbar that will allow you to upload them directly into your post.

Yes, much easier, thanks.

Now, is this any different than it has been in the past?  Have you just been living with a border around your interface previously?

Or, had you manually edited these values in the xml file?

buddyweiser

I have always had the borders around the regular MB screens, but when I played a video, it always went fullscreen so the borders didn't bother me as much. But now, the borders are there even during playback.

Macburp

- I could not do the registry fix, as the required key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings) wasn't there

Had another look at this and discovered I hadn't looked in the right place in the registry. Made the changes and rebooted. Unfortunately the new player is still in a window on the extender. :(

Had another look at this and discovered I hadn't looked in the right place in the registry. Made the changes and rebooted. Unfortunately the new player is still in a window on the extender. :(

In what version of MBC?

v3.0.179

Can you please update to 181 (dev) and see if it works properly?

Macburp

Ok, ended up updating to 183 beta. This has thankfully sorted my issue, no more underscan.

This raises a question. The seems to be no way to be notified of an update while using an extender. Any way to fix?

Ok, ended up updating to 183 beta. This has thankfully sorted my issue, no more underscan.

This raises a question. The seems to be no way to be notified of an update while using an extender. Any way to fix?

You cannot update from an extender.  It isn't technically possible.

techywarrior

You cannot update from an extender.  It isn't technically possible.

What about just having a message that an update is available? Or does it already do that?

No, right now, it doesn't even run the check if you are on an extender.  That could be improved at some point but the thinking being that the extender is a secondary device and you cannot update from it anyway.

NickC4555

I've got the same problem on my Xbox extender on video playback. Zoom is set to normal. Running version 182. The same files play correctly using Media Browser on a Roku to the same TV. Recorded TV on the main Media Center works fine.

I've got the same problem on my Xbox extender on video playback. Zoom is set to normal. Running version 182. The same files play correctly using Media Browser on a Roku to the same TV. Recorded TV on the main Media Center works fine.

Have you adjusted the over/under scan values in the config page on the extender?

techywarrior

No, right now, it doesn't even run the check if you are on an extender.  That could be improved at some point but the thinking being that the extender is a secondary device and you cannot update from it anyway.

It sounds like these people don't use WMC on their computer much and mostly use the Xbox. So showing the message that an update is available will indicate that they should go to their computer at some point soon and open MBC and let it update.

Macburp

It sounds like these people don't use WMC on their computer much and mostly use the Xbox. So showing the message that an update is available will indicate that they should go to their computer at some point soon and open MBC and let it update.

That's right. I very rarely open MBC on my desktop, only the extender.

NickC4555

Have you adjusted the over/under scan values in the config page on the extender?

That allowed me to remove the blue borders on playback, but there were still black lines to the left and right of the screen. It also caused the MB interface to expand off the screen and make some options inaccessible. Unchecking "Use Custom Player Interface" fixed it.

Is there an official fix for this?  All the video I play through extenders is framed with blue.  Are we supposed to adjust the underscan in settings?  I did try this at a value of two and saw no difference.