29 replies to this topic

#1 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts
  • Local time: 09:34 AM

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

Did anyone else realize that Dreamscreen is out of business? I just went to see if there were new developments, and found out they are done!

#2 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16590 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

Is this something different?

https://www.dreamscreentv.com/

#3 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, that's it. But if you look, there's no way to buy anything.

And this:

http://dreamscreen.b...ost/6561/thread

#4 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16590 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Pretty bad when you have to dig through a forum to find this out.  While their distributors still list their produce.

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142514 posts
  • Local time: 12:34 PM

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:56 PM

Well there is that one guy pleading with them to open source their code, but as long as they think they have a chance of being acquired, that's not going to happen. That's probably why the website still looks as if they were up and running. They had a positive mention from cnet as recently as a year ago:

https://www.cnet.com...creen-sylvania/

#6 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:56 PM

Pretty bad when you have to dig through a forum to find this out.  While their distributors still list their produce.

Yeah, I know, right? I guess there's probably inventory that may still need to be sold. Fortunately, I bought an extra flex strip a while back, which I now have on my new tv. So far, it's working well. I hope that lasts  :wacko:

Edited by Doofus, 16 November 2019 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

Well there is that one guy pleading with them to open source their code, but as long as they think they have a chance of being acquired, that's not going to happen. That's probably why the website still looks as if they were up and running. They had a positive mention from cnet as recently as a year ago:

https://www.cnet.com...creen-sylvania/

Yea, I saw that guy begging to release the source code. There doesn't appear to be a response to that, from them. You may be right about being acquired.

#8 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 AM

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:17 PM

It’s a pity as is a great product once setup correctly (and now mine is fully automated to turn on/off when movies only are started/stopped)

Thank
you for contacting DreamScreen. Over the past 4 years we have worked with passion on great innovations for smart TV lighting. We have now decided to pursue other interests. We close the doors however, we are still here to offer customer support and will stand
behind our warranties.

Thank
you for your understanding and please feel free to message us if you need any technical support.

Although
we are no longer selling DreamScreen anymore you may be able to find a unit through one of our international retailers listed on www.DreamScreenTV.com/About.

Have
a great day!

Regards,

Engineering Team
On Sun, 2 Jun at 3:46 PM

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142514 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

The $250 price point probably limited them to mostly higher end users. They may have had a hard time finding enough customers to stay in business. Just my guess at least.

#10 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:34 PM

I would of thought as this product is not locked to a region I would of thought there would be plenty of uptakes based how much more immersive the product adds to a home movie and the ridiculous extent/cost some go to on their home setups on the avsforum.
IMO I think the vast variety of setups and trying to cater for all hardware variants was what brought them undone. In the start of my setup I too had issues (some cable issues doofus helped with) and it was not until I set my display to 30hz 10bit rgb and left it at this setting only then my dreamscreen responded as desired (played with a lot of combinations).

#11 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

I just hope the app keeps working with no further development.

#12 chef ONLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 4115 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

It's been gone for a while now.

I thought dreamscreen was expensive but then you get products like what Phillips hue brought out which is pretty much the same idea as dreamscreen.

But by the time you purchase the Phillips hub, the lights and this new TV hub that extends you lighting colour from the edge of your TV screen pixels, you in for almost a Grand.

Too bad there couldnt be a product built with a reasonable price tag attached.

#13 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

I just hope the app keeps working with no further development.

I no longer use the app as it is automated via python script
  • Doofus likes this

#14 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

In the start of my setup I too had issues (some cable issues doofus helped with).

If you get any more issues with that, I finally figured out the cause. Low voltage. So now I have an ACTIVE HDMI from PC to receiver, PASSIVE HDMI from receiver to Dreamscreen, and an ACTIVE HDMI from Dreamscreen to TV. And it's solid. You can't use an active cable between the receiver and Dreamsreen because the signal will fail (that's what the cable manufacture said). But now it's solid, finally!

#15 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

It's been gone for a while now.

I thought dreamscreen was expensive but then you get products like what Phillips hue brought out which is pretty much the same idea as dreamscreen.

But by the time you purchase the Phillips hub, the lights and this new TV hub that extends you lighting colour from the edge of your TV screen pixels, you in for almost a Grand.

Too bad there couldnt be a product built with a reasonable price tag attached.

correct me if I am mistaken but I don’t think the Phillips hue offering reacts in real time to images on your screen (whole purpose behind dreamscreen)

#16 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4019 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

But this has been possible using just a raspberry pi and video capture device for a while now. I've had an equivalent of dream screen this way for 5 years or so

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

#17 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12891 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

And I guess there's Lightberry, too.

https://lightberry.eu/

#18 BillOatman OFFLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

And I guess there's Lightberry, too.

https://lightberry.eu/

Analyzing the signal seems like a smarter way than camera's looking at the screen, which I believe is what dreamscreen does/did.

#19 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:08 PM

Analyzing the signal seems like a smarter way than camera's looking at the screen, which I believe is what dreamscreen does/did.

dreamscreen has no cameras and analysis of the signal is how it reacts to music or video images playing on the screen in real-time.

#20 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1067 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

But this has been possible using just a raspberry pi and video capture device for a while now. I've had an equivalent of dream screen this way for 5 years or so

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

This is ok for the very limited few who want to build their own and have time to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users