Library TV-Series is not updating automaticely anymore

latinumking

latinumking

Howdy

For some time, I got a strange issue. Only the library TV-Series is not updating new episodes.

I have to update manually in order to get new episodes.

All other movie libraries get automatic updates.

I am on latest windows server.

My library are set as follows:

path: s=movies, path k=tv-series

Even if I delete the tv-series path and build it up from scratch, the issue remains. 

Anyone got an idea how to get the automatic episode update back on track?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Lati

latinumking

Hm, I guess, it is not that issue, I have the issue for at least 3 months, was too busy to ask for help then. 

It only affects TV-Series / Episodes. They do not appear in the library. Only if I do a manual library update, all episodes appear at all (and correct).

So I am really stuck. It is not a non functional nor non working topic, it is just a minor issue that is rather nasty.

What would be of help to have a look at it?

Happy2Play

Hm, I guess, it is not that issue, I have the issue for at least 3 months, was too busy to ask for help then. 

It only affects TV-Series / Episodes. They do not appear in the library. Only if I do a manual library update, all episodes appear at all (and correct).

So I am really stuck. It is not a non functional nor non working topic, it is just a minor issue that is rather nasty.

What would be of help to have a look at it?

Sounds like either you don't have Real time monitoring enabled on the library or your setup does not support RTM.

Can you elaborate on your setup.

latinumking

Sure, I can, here we go:

I am on win10 Emby Server Version 4.2.1.0

The libraries are on a syno also with latest firmware.

I set up the direktories as follows:

O.// movies

l:// series

The rtm is activated on both libraries. the Serieas are set up series name with sub directory season 1 etc. all series are properly labeled name_s01e01. If I copy new content to movies, I see the software almost instantly, which I do when it comes to new episodes. I can wait 10, 15 minutes, I do not get an update on new episodes at all. If I go to the manual update of the library and select, I will get the update and the new episode appears the way it should. I did not have this issue in the past (i am an emby user for at least 2 years, so I know that this worked flawless in the past. I have the impression that it came a couple of months ago with an update of the server version. I did not notice immediately, but now I do notice.

Should I post a log file?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,

Lati

seanbuff

I too have been experiencing the exact same for the past few months.

TV Series library seems to be the only one presenting this issue.

All my media is stored on the same storage medium (same file system) -- RTM enabled on all libraries.

Copying a new movie over updates almost immediately in Emby as @@latinumking describes. However when a new tv episode is copied over, it can sometimes show up within minutes, or sometimes will take up to 24hrs when the Library Refresh activity runs overnight. It is not consistent at all.

Again, a manual scan of that library works every time.

I have found that no log entries are made upon the copy (presumably because Emby didn't catch it), so always found it difficult to troubleshoot.

Kinda glad to hear i'm not the only one. This is not caused by the recent TVDB issue.

Server version: 4.3.0.23

Perhaps I can enable debug logging and attempt to copy in some new TV eps to see if I can replicate this issue

The real-time monitor might not work on a network drive.

At the very least, don't use a mapped windows drive letter. Use the original network path.

Happy2Play

It is odd that one content type is working and the other is not, but they would appear to be on different drives.  @@Luke isn't the refresh level different on Movies vs Series?  Can't remember is that was changed.

But a debug log many show us more information.  Dashboard-Logs enable debug logging (note this setting requires a server restart to enable and disable debug logging)

Could this be related to the inotify limit found in other topics (synology)?

Happy2Play

Refresh level?

Where Movies would refresh the entire library and episodes did not.

seanbuff

I am using a QNAP NAS, single storage pool -- Movies and TV Series are located at the same place, albeit different paths.

I am using UNC paths only for my libraries. Have never used mapped drives.

And as Lati indicated, this previously worked flawlessly for years, same hardware and setup.

Right, it's OK to have a mapped drive letter in Windows if you want, but i wouldn't use it with Emby. I would use the original UNC path instead.

pt1xoom

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but my episodes stopped updating as well.

Something I added on Nov 14 shows 4. episode name.  Something I added on Nov 15 shows 5. ShowTitle.S01E05.  Anything I added after Nov 14 now shows the episode number (dot) ShowTitle (dot) SxxExx.

Nothing has changed on my system.  I am not using mapped drives.  Everything is local.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but my episodes stopped updating as well.

Something I added on Nov 14 shows 4. episode name.  Something I added on Nov 15 shows 5. ShowTitle.S01E05.  Anything I added after Nov 14 now shows the episode number (dot) ShowTitle (dot) SxxExx.

Nothing has changed on my system.  I am not using mapped drives.  Everything is local.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79269-tvdb-api-issues/

seanbuff

Okay, i've troubleshooted this issue this morning with debug logging enabled, and have been able to narrow it down somewhat.

First I test moving media into season folders manually (just as I do my movies, which work) -- I can instantly see the Emby LibraryMonitor kick in and process the file

2019-11-23 09:00:30.051 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for ...
2019-11-23 09:00:30.052 Debug LibraryMonitor: Resetting file refresher from ...
2019-11-23 09:01:30.129 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.

About 20 mins later, I delete the file and Emby LibraryMonitor again detects this, and correctly removes that episode from the library. All working perfectly.

For the next test (9:25am in the logs), I use automation to fetch + move a new episode to the same location, here's where the results are different. Emby does not detect any new file created, and the LibraryMonitor never starts, there are no log entries made also.

5dd8647de78a3_20191123_092947.png

So it would appear that Emby does not detect whichever mechanism Sonarr is using to move its files over to their final destination.

On a manual refresh (and scheduled) the new files are picked up. It's just the Real-Time Monitoring that seems to not be detecting this type of move.

I hope this helps, debug log attached.

embyserver_debug.zip

EDIT: a few extra notes, Sonarr is running on the same NAS, alongside the media files. Also when i copied files manually, it was performed using the internal File Manager on the NAS itself.

Edited by seanbuff

seanbuff

Doesn't Sonarr have to send a api update?

I have tried with and without the api update from Sonarr, because i initially suspected it was that also

• 3 weeks later...
seanbuff

Okay, just circling back on this one as it is still occurring inconsistently.

I generated a brand new API key in Emby exclusively for Sonarr. I added Emby as a connection in Sonarr and checked it is to be notified of updates.

Today, I watched as a new episode was added, and Sonarr sent the msg, Emby acknowledged it with a 204, and then the Timer stops a minute later ...and then nothing.

2019-12-12 12:55:26.084 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated. UserAgent: Sonarr/3.0.3.664 (linux )
2019-12-12 12:55:26.087 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /share/TV Shows/The Goldbergs (2013)
2019-12-12 12:55:26.088 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.1.1.100. Time: 4ms. http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated
2019-12-12 12:56:26.100 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.

Later I forced another episode to come down, this time I added a few more notifications on the Sonarr side, thinking maybe it wasn't sending the correct one to Emby

2019-12-12 14:06:40.426 Info TaskManager: Executing Refresh Emby Connect Data
2019-12-12 14:06:41.242 Info TaskManager: Refresh Emby Connect Data Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-12-12 14:07:25.621 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Notifications/Admin. UserAgent: Sonarr/3.0.3.664 (linux )
2019-12-12 14:07:25.622 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.1.1.100. Time: 1ms. http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Notifications/Admin
2019-12-12 14:09:01.317 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Notifications/Admin. UserAgent: Sonarr/3.0.3.664 (linux )
2019-12-12 14:09:01.318 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.1.1.100. Time: 1ms. http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Notifications/Admin
2019-12-12 14:09:01.323 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated. UserAgent: Sonarr/3.0.3.664 (linux )
2019-12-12 14:09:01.324 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /share/TV Shows 2/Robot Chicken/
2019-12-12 14:09:01.324 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.1.1.100. Time: 1ms. http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated
2019-12-12 14:10:01.326 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.

Again, Timer stops and no further action is taken.

However, last Friday - I did see the process complete succesfully

2019-12-06 19:25:26.838 Debug LibraryMonitor: Resetting file refresher from \\MediaNAS\TV Shows\Truth Be Told (2019)\Season 1\Truth Be Told (2019) - S01E01 - Electrified Crackhead Soup WEBDL-1080p.mkv.partial~ to \\MediaNAS\TV Shows\Truth Be Told (2019)\Season 1
2019-12-06 19:25:29.148 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated. UserAgent: Sonarr/3.0.3.661 (linux )
2019-12-06 19:25:29.152 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /share/TV Shows/Truth Be Told (2019)
2019-12-06 19:25:29.152 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 10.1.1.100. Time: 4ms. http://10.1.1.77:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Media/Updated
2019-12-06 19:26:26.851 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2019-12-06 19:26:26.855 Info LibraryMonitor: Season 1 (\\MediaNAS\TV Shows\Truth Be Told (2019)\Season 1) will be refreshed.

So the only thing that stands out to me here is the difference in file sizes being moved (< 200MB = fails vs. 3GB = success)

Could the file copy simply be too quick for Emby to detect? And it only manages to detect much larger files which result in a .partial~ during the process?

Debug logs for both scenarios posted.

emby_file_refresher_logs.zip

seanbuff

Yes that is the working one @@Luke

I'm talking about that same message missing from the first 2 failed scenario's -- the first 2 scenario's it never goes on to say "xxx will be refreshed"