Syncing series metadata with child seasons

Tobi Uchiha

Tobi Uchiha

Hello,

this is somewhat related to a previous request of mine, about accessing existing series metadata.

Some metadata providers store seasons as individual series and only store the prequel and sequel seasons. Because of this the metadata of the series (e.g. the first season) is not in sync with its child seasons.

For example the Status, Community Rating, Release date, Year and End date only relate to the first season. This breaks filters on a series level, since the series entity is out of sync with the metadata of its seasons other than season 1.

It would be nice if we could sync the series metadata with its child seasons.

I thought about being able to do this modification of the overlying series object in IRemoteMetadataProvider<Season, SeasonInfo>, but it could introduce unexpected side effects and would violate the single responsibility principle.

Maybe we can come up with a different API for cases like this, where the structure of metadata is not in a tree shape (series > season > episode).

Thanks for all your hard work!

Tobi Uchiha

Hi, are you suggesting that the series should get the values from one of the seasons?

Kind of, but not really.

Let's assume a show has two seasons:

The first season started at 01.01.2018 and ended 31.12.2018.

The second season started at 01.01.2019 and is still continuing.

Some metadata providers store seasons as Individual shows that are linked together. So the Id of my first season and show Id are pointing to the same remote resource.

This is fine if a show only has one season, but in our case it has two seasons, where the second season is still continuing.

Since the series is pointing to the first season, the series has 01.01.2018 / 31.12.2018 as its start/end date and the status is "Finished". But that's not accurate since the second season is still running.

It would be nice, if there was an option for TV shows to use the first season as a starting point and the last season as the end point. So if one of the seasons has a state of "Continuing" the show has the same status, same with start & end dates.

I realize while typing this, that you wouldn't need a Developer API for this, a simple setting that automatiically does this for a library or an individual series would suffice.

Doing this for ratings would also make sense, individual seasons have their own ratings and the show has an average of those values.

Should I repost this as a feature request, since from my understanding, this wouldn't make sense on a Developer API level anymore.

I thought Developers should have the option to implement this themselves, but I think a general setting would make more sense.

• 1 month later...

@@Tobi Uchiha

It sounds like what you're asking for is rather than getting some series information from a series metadata provider, to instead infer it based on data from the seasons.

In other words, a series would be marked as continuing if any single season is currently Continuing.

Does that sound right?

• 3 weeks later...
Tobi Uchiha 2

@@Tobi Uchiha

It sounds like what you're asking for is rather than getting some series information from a series metadata provider, to instead infer it based on data from the seasons.

In other words, a series would be marked as continuing if any single season is currently Continuing.

Does that sound right?

That sounds right.

Sorry for not responding, this issue was stale for about a month, so I stopped checking the forum.

Ok, well to answer your questions, yes I do think you've made some good suggestions here about season and series level data inheritance.