Multi-version movies default version question.

Jake.Yde

Jake.Yde

I was wondering if there was a way to get Emby to default to a certain version of a movie. I.E. if the server prefers to automatically choose a file based on alphabetization "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) - 1080p" should load before "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) - 720p". If this is not the case does it prefer a title without a - type? How does it decide which version gets priority? I'd very much like my higher quality videos to be ready to play by default.

Hi.  Each device will choose the version that is most compatible with that device.  Basically that translates into, if one of them will direct play, that will be chosen.  Next, if it can direct stream and, last resort, transcode.

Jake.Yde

Hi.  Each device will choose the version that is most compatible with that device.  Basically that translates into, if one of them will direct play, that will be chosen.  Next, if it can direct stream and, last resort, transcode.

Thank you for your response. That makes sense from a technical standpoint. Is there some way to manipulate this process? Sure .m4v may be more widely supported but .mkv is what I rip my blurays into and obviously a superior quality.

Edited by Jake.Yde

Thank you for your response. That makes sense from a technical standpoint. Is there some way to manipulate this process? Sure .m4v may be more widely supported but .mkv is what I rip my blurays into and obviously a superior quality.

Those are just containers.  The system would be looking at whatever is actually in them.

However, the detail screen for an item will allow you to select a specific version.