Duplicate music artists entries, how to get rid of them?

M Smith

After updating to 4.5.3.0 there are songs and "appears on" listed beneath these artists, but the musicbrainz ids are still corrupt. I tagged the tracks with mp3tag and the tracks in question have a tag entry with the following structure MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID = "id_of_the_first_artist,  id_of_the_second_artist, id_of_the_third_artist". Emby creates an artist entry for this song with a musicbrainz link like the following "https://musicbrainz.org/artist/id_of_the_first_artist,  id_of_the_second_artist, id_of_the_third_artist"

So emby does not recognize it is not just one, but multiple artists.

Edited by Oceanus

1 hour ago, Oceanus said:

After updating to 4.5.3.0 there are songs and "appears on" listed beneath these artists, but the musicbrainz ids are still corrupt. I tagged the tracks with mp3tag and the tracks in question have a tag entry with the following structure MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID = "id_of_the_first_artist,  id_of_the_second_artist, id_of_the_third_artist". Emby creates an artist entry for this song with a musicbrainz link like the following "https://musicbrainz.org/artist/id_of_the_first_artist,  id_of_the_second_artist, id_of_the_third_artist"

So emby does not recognize it is not just one, but multiple artists.

We currently support splitting that on slashes and semicolons. It doesn't split them on commas.

Could you add support for splitting by commas? Should be safe as UUIDs will never contain commas and it is the default behavior of mp3tag, which is pretty popular.

Edited by Oceanus
  • Like 1

Luticus

I've also discovered that if your album folders are named with a year in front of them, so like "(1990) Album Name" Emby goes a bit crazy. I had a duplicate of an artist and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the second one. I went though and made sure the artist folder was correctly named, I checked the tags on the audio file and triple checked that the artist name was exact, I removed the album artist tag and left just the normal artist tag. I made sure that both v1 and v2 tags were the same.  I removed the folder from the storage space and put it somewhere else, rescanned, then replaced the folder and scanned again and watched the duplicate come right back. I even went through and made sure every .nfo file was removed, nothing worked. Then I finally tried removing the (1990) year from the album folder names and presto!

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's a bug. Either way, I hope this helps someone else.

Edited by Luticus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luticus said:

I've also discovered that if your album folders are named with a year in front of them, so like "(1990) Album Name" Emby goes a bit crazy. I had a duplicate of an artist and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the second one. I went though and made sure the artist folder was correctly named, I checked the tags on the audio file and triple checked that the artist name was exact, I removed the album artist tag and left just the normal artist tag. I made sure that both v1 and v2 tags were the same.  I removed the folder from the storage space and put it somewhere else, rescanned, then replaced the folder and scanned again and watched the duplicate come right back. I even went through and made sure every .nfo file was removed, nothing worked. Then I finally tried removing the (1990) year from the album folder names and presto!

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's a bug. Either way, I hope this helps someone else.

Hi, in future, in Emby Server 4.6, this won't happen anymore because Emby won't care about the album folder name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...