problems watching a recording while being recorded

rliepins

Recording & playing back are IO intensive compared to everything else Emby does.  If you can set recording folder and transcode directory to different drives this helps a lot. A 5400 RPM drive used for both will likely be iffy, 7200 rpm drive successful.  If using two different drives of any speed successful or SSD drives very successful. 

For example I use Samsung SSD drives for recording and another SSD drive transcoding.  I can easily record 10 to 15 shows/movies while watching 3 or 4 at the same time.  I haven't tried more than that as that's my family load at max use but it handles that fine.

Just for the record a lot of the IO is because ffmpeg is used for recording and also playback in a lot of situations.  In the Live TV replacement currently in development this is different and ffmpeg is not used when ever possible which makes the IO load much lighter.  So in the future this will be better as well as many new enhancements.

• 1 month later...

No timeline for it that we can give.

We aren't rushing it, but trying to tackle all past issues as well as present issue we've identified.
We still have a bit to go and not trying to rush things. Personal opinion but I'd say we are 8 or 9 of 10 of on what we want to test/perfect before release for playback. So getting close, very close.

I will give you a bit more info than previously mentioned. We are on the final leg of this from a design/test perspective.

@softworkzis both updating a private server version we test against but also a private test app.  The test app is very user specific and sort of dev oriented in that we the users using the app can create graphs and test them against our tuners/m3u sources. When we validate things in this app they move to the server core for testing. The test app allows us to do things manually that Emby doesn't allow so it's great  for testing!

This test app allows us to test thing easily against different tuner types, m3U files, etc. So we can identify issues and get fixes before being implemented in the server core.

For playback, we are testing the last bits in this test app which are looking good.  From here these will go to the server core.

So we are getting close to a release for general test but not pushing it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.  I have a Plex license and am evaluating Emby to see if it might solve some of the live TV issues that Plex has, and if it does, I'll probably migrate permanently over to Emby.  Emby does not have the live TV problems I encounter with Plex, but has issues of its own, particularly when trying to watch a show that is being recorded.  The skip ahead/behind, when it works at all, doesn't work very well as is evidenced within this thread.  I experience either a complete freeze, or it takes 30 seconds to skip ahead 30 seconds.  It is just unstable and it really affects the core functionality of a PVR.  It also seems to take ages to just tune a channel--more of an annoyance than than a deal breaker.  The Emby tech support appears to be much more responsive than at Plex, so that is a plus.  I am curious about your release schedule--do you guys not do periodic scheduled releases?  So generally, are we talking a month or two, or sometime before summer, or later in 2021? 

One of the things that really helps with Live TV/recording and watching is using an SSD drive(s).  For example, I record to one SSD drive and have another SSD drive that I use for the transcoding & meta-data folders.  That makes the system quite snappy and I have no issues watching and recording TV at the same time.  With an Nvidia 1650 GPU also installed the old 1st gen i7 handles things beautifully. 

SSD drives are dirt cheap these days and make for great additions to systems that don't have them.  Tuning times still take longer than I'd want them to take but this is greatly improved in the version in development. The new version will also be a lot more friendly IO wise as well.

Emby is constantly doing releases of apps and the server as well as backend things.  There is no set schedule as things are released when ready.  Emby has both official releases tracks and beta releases so you can choose which to run.  A lot of people use the betas on production just to get the newest fixes and features.

As just an idea of the frequent releases check out:

and

• 7 months later...
Relish02

Hi! Is the new TV functionality described above in the latest server 4.6.4.0? Playback of a program while being recorded is mostly working, with some exceptions that I have found. Was just curious if I still need to wait on a new release or not.

5 hours ago, Relish02 said:

Hi! Is the new TV functionality described above in the latest server 4.6.4.0? Playback of a program while being recorded is mostly working, with some exceptions that I have found. Was just curious if I still need to wait on a new release or not.

Which functionality are you referring to?

Relish02
On 11/4/2020 at 1:37 AM, cayars said:

In the Live TV replacement currently in development this is different and ffmpeg is not used when ever possible which makes the IO load much lighter.  So in the future this will be better as well as many new enhancements.

I am referring to the Live TV replacement plus many new enhancements that were in development last November.

4.6.4 server added some new channel management, faster guide processing and use of tags (grouping) as well as better playback to help relieve the wait on this as we don't want to rush it's development and testing.

The latest server release and fixes pulled many devs to work on that, as it of course would be top priority.

This is still of course in development but no ETA yet. 

Edited by cayars

Noel-M

As of  the start of this year I now have an SSD for recorded tv, another SSD for Hauppauge Pause Buffer and RAMDISK for transcoding-tmp.  With this config, all has been working without problem. 

Luke - thanks for the effort.

One problem remains ...

- While watching a program that is recording I bail out to do somethng else.  Later I return, the program is still recording and it offers me "RESUME FROM XX:XX".  This option always hangs.  If I opt to watch from the start all is OK.  If I wait until the program finishes recording, then I can resume from ...

Bummer, don't have that client to test.

Any problem with any other clients?

Noel-M

I have another android tv, a samsung tizen and iOS client.  However, I usually watch emby on the 'big screen'  and so don't know if these clients are problematic.  I'll do some research.

19 hours ago, Noel-M said:

I have another android tv, a samsung tizen and iOS client.  However, I usually watch emby on the 'big screen'  and so don't know if these clients are problematic.  I'll do some research.

Let us know what you find. Thanks.

I can confirm that the problem also exists with iPad iOS client.  Here are steps to reproduce ...

* Start recording something

* Wait 10 minutes

* Play the recording for about 10 minutes.  You need to watch for about 10 minutes before Emby offers the 'RESUME FROM' option.

* Stop watching

* Select the RESUME FROM option - hang occurs.

If at this stage I cancel the recording (from another device), then the 'RESUME FROM' works fine.

I could generate logs if required.

I tried these same steps with a Samsung Tizen client.

When I stop watching the in progress recording, this client does not offer a 'RESUME FROM' option.  It does offer a RESUME option, but this option starts replaying from the beginning of the recording and not from 10 minutes in.

• 8 months later...
Relish02

Hi, I wanted to add onto this thread with what I have been seeing with Windows desktop clients regarding watching a recording while being recorded.  So there are three different ways you can access your emby server from the Windows desktop:

1. Windows store app
  2. Windows desktop app
  3. Chrome/Firefox/Edge browsers

I'm curious as to which one you guys think is the best, most feature complete option, but generally I think the chrome browser is the one.  Watching a recording while being recorded works best in the browser, but does not seem to work entirely in the Windows store app.  The playback does happen, but I cannot fast forward it.  When I do, it skips forward to the present time and cannot move back at all.  I prefer using the Windows store app, since I like using browsers for other activities, the store app has picture in picture, video playback is smoother, and it seems to have a larger download buffer during general playback of library videos.  Would it be possible to fix the "skipping forward" issue in the Windows store app (have you ever repro'ed this)?  Or is that not something programmable with the API they provide?

Theater for desktop is the most powerful of those mentioned and would I would suggest.

Carlo

Relish02

Yes, the Windows desktop app looks to be working with the fast forward during watching a recording while being recorded.  Is there a picture in picture feature hiding in there somewhere?  I used it with the display mode set to desktop, but I didn't see a picture in picture button like the store app or browsers have.

19 minutes ago, Relish02 said:

Yes, the Windows desktop app looks to be working with the fast forward during watching a recording while being recorded.  Is there a picture in picture feature hiding in there somewhere?  I used it with the display mode set to desktop, but I didn't see a picture in picture button like the store app or browsers have.

The desktop app does not yet have pip but stay tuned 

• Like 1