#41 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 PM
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

Unfortunately, words just take up too much space - especially when dealing with multiple languages.  So buttons and icons can convey a lot more in less space.

When you put that information together (what does Emby use a check mark to designate, and what would it mean if it were crossed out) with the filters you think are missing, what do you think that one is?

I don't argue that - initially - it may not be totally obvious but I do think it makes sense when you think about it. I'm also open to any other icons that could work better...

I still have no idea what it does. It just makes no sense to my old brain. It is NOT even partially obvious.

Why don't you actually tell me what it does or do you you think people like to solve puzzles to us interfaces.

Again, words have meaning icons must be guessed.

Maybe a "help" section in the interface where the icons get explained.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 19 November 2019 - 03:26 PM.

#42 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

Unwatched...?

I wasn't trying to be further cryptic but, I really thought when given the information I did (that Emby uses a check for watched content and this check had a line through it) that it would be obvious to you.

I'd love to find a better icon for that.  I just haven't.

#43 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 AM

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

I tried to explain this @Gilgamesh48 that certain things require confidence. I also like how anyone else giving advice is listened to except me. I predicted this very conversation we are having about a week ago. Here we are having it.

There is a solution that just isn't valued. It is odd how anyone else's advice you value. What world are we in?

Edited by speechles, 19 November 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#44 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

I tried to explain this @Gilgamesh48 that certain things require confidence. I also like how anyone else giving advice is listened to except me. I predicted this very conversation we are having about a week ago. Here we are having it.

There is a solution that just isn't valued. It is odd how anyone else's advice you value. What world are we in?

What did I say to show that I did not value your advice? I think I listen to anybody but I will argue, I hope in a polite manner, for positions I believe are correct.

Sorry if something I said offended you.

All I am here for is to provide my feedback about how I feel about the interface and/or to report bugs. I have no real power and I do not crave any either.

#45 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

We do appreciate your feedback as it will help us to come to the best solution for all.

He wasn't talking to you so take no offense at speechles' statement.

Thanks.

#46 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

I was confused for a moment with the functionality of that second check mark as well.  But i realized it was a filter to show only watched items.  The toolbar has a lot more functionality then the old * button allowed.  Can visually see what filters are on or off.  Don't have to go thru hoops to change basic filter types.  And well, the old * is no longer an option the way it has been in the past.

(Also realized that its the functionality that was done in the android tv app)

Being able to trigger this toolbar (possibly a popup?) by hitting the * would be a great idea.  Or even, oh i dont know, animated and bringing it in from the side or bottom of the screen?

Edited by skidmarks, 19 November 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#47 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:01 PM

We do appreciate your feedback as it will help us to come to the best solution for all.

He wasn't talking to you so take no offense at speechles' statement.

Thanks.

I wasn't meaning anything in general. I was just having a bad day. Take no offense anyone... lol.. 

The best solution is to come up with something that we all agree on. Right now it is sort of "janky" with jarring change. After some time it may grow on you... or not.. or you may have better ideas. We can discuss what needs to happen to adjust to Roku changing things on us. I apologize for being human and what not too.  We are all human hopefully. This is when change is good. You get debate. Now we open the air to all.

Being able to trigger this toolbar (possibly a popup?) by hitting the * would be a great idea.  Or even, oh i dont know, animated and bringing it in from the side or bottom of the screen?

We cannot use the * button anymore because you might be playing Audio and it will trap the button to adjust audio playback. Video playing traps the * button to adjust video playback. Roku makes these rules. When the button is trapped the app cannot see you even pressed it.

We have to play on their playground and they took away our swingset. So now we can use other buttons on the remote to sort of move to the toolbar and back. We can make our own swingset out of the "replay" button possibly. That is a viable alternative.

Edited by speechles, 19 November 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#48 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:21 PM

I wasn't meaning anything in general. I was just having a bad day. Take no offense anyone... lol.. 

The best solution is to come up with something that we all agree on. Right now it is sort of "janky" with jarring change. After some time it may grow on you... or not.. or you may have better ideas. We can discuss what needs to happen to adjust to Roku changing things on us. I apologize for being human and what not too.  We are all human hopefully. This is when change is good. You get debate. Now we open the air to all.

We cannot use the * button anymore because you might be playing Audio and it will trap the button to adjust audio playback. Video playing traps the * button to adjust video playback. Roku makes these rules. When the button is trapped the app cannot see you even pressed it.

We have to play on their playground and they took away our swingset. So now we can use other buttons on the remote to sort of move to the toolbar and back. We can make our own swingset out of the "replay" button possibly. That is a viable alternative.

Ohhhh.  That's what i thought.  The * is forbidden fruit.  I miss read the posts a few back.  When you guys were discussing alternatives and the * snuck back into the conversation.  Guess up up down left right left is not an option? Never mind thats a kill move that was already used on the * button. 

There has to be a way to get this toolbar to display, somewhere, no matter where you are in the app?  Like to see you use some of those cool animation skills you keep hinting about!  I'm just typing out loud.  I've become fond of our new toolbar.

Edited by skidmarks, 19 November 2019 - 10:29 PM.

#49 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

We cannot use the * button anymore because you might be playing Audio 

We cannot rely on it exclusively but we can still use it as a shortcut as it will still be useful most of the time.

The next beta will have the "*" take you to the toolbar.

#50 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

We cannot rely on it exclusively but we can still use it as a shortcut as it will still be useful most of the time.

The next beta will have the "*" take you to the toolbar.

When music plays in the background though the * button is "trapped" so making use of it at all seems rather pointless.

What about people that listen to music while on this grid?

@skidmarks please explain the issue better. Presently what does the * button do when you play music on the grid. Can you explain. Thanks. So sometimes the * will work to get there and sometimes it wont. That seems not a solution to me at all. It seems done just to not do what I suggested. Why not use the "replay button" to do this? It seems it would always work.

Edited by speechles, 20 November 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#51 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

Let me start out by saying I have no functionality issues with the tool bar...

To answer your question while on the grid i get Display Options.  When playing roku takes control of the *.  Showing Leveling options.

My problem is the toolbar stays in its stationary placed location.  Scrolling down thru your media in the different libraries is where the * button was handy.  You could get to the filters with one button press, no matter how far you strayed away from "home". 

The toolbar is great, but you have to get to it...  Quickest way?  Use the quick pick to # then up.  Back out of the library and then back in? Or just hold the up button for a spell?  The * was a simplified solution.  Which, frankly, spoiled us.

I'm fine with the solution that resolved my OP.  Now we are in the grey area of how to make the most user friendly experience possible.  My suggestion was simply keeping the filter bar as is (i like it), but finding a way to get to it with the least amount of user button presses or navigation.  Being able to hit a button, or even adding something at the end of beginning of the quick pick bar or something like that (now that would confuse the crap out of people) to make the toolbar pop up or move in from one side of the screen would be great.  

I'm sure it will get refined! 

Edited by skidmarks, 20 November 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#52 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

image.png

https://developer.ro...trol-buttons.md

I can add to this as it is incomplete, outdated, and in sore need of Roku to give love/accurate information to it.

When playing Audio the star/options button reveals an options menu on the left side sort of the same way when playing video does.

Roku even mentions using the replay button for other purposes. This is why they show it has no functionality on the standard UI screen. hint hint. :)

If Roku would make it so playing Audio didn't "trap" the * button then it would still be viable to use *. But since it is being trapped we cripple the toolbar anytime someone plays music. This is unacceptable isn't it? How about BOTH the star/asterisk AND instant reply DO THE SAME functionality? That would please both camps. Would make it easy for someone playing music to use the other button when you need to. Right? That seems best?

Edited by speechles, 20 November 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• Gilgamesh_48 likes this

#53 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Does the system recognize long presses?  With the lack of available buttons you would think roku would recognize them, or give app developers a button on the remote for external developer use only.  Never really thought about the functionality you guys have with the limited options of navigation you are faced with.

I personally don't use that replay button often enough to miss it.  Doesn't using the left D Pad accomplish the same thing (for the most part)? 

It sounds like this option has pretty much been taken out of the equation already.  Peeing in the wind for distance...

A navigational way, via some sort of onscreen interaction sounds like the way this is going to play out.  If you're in a grid and you keep navigating to the right maybe the toolbar HUD appears from the right?  Optional?  I'll think this thru a little more when i'm sitting in front of the roku.  

Edited by skidmarks, 20 November 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#54 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Does the system recognize long presses?  With the lack of available buttons you would think roku would recognize them, or give app developers a button on the remote for external developer use only.  Never really thought about the functionality you guys have with the limited options of navigation you are faced with.

No. You need to track press and key individually. Then with a timer you can check if key (lastkey = key) is still the same condition (lastpress = press) as last. But Roku doesn't give this ability to developers you have to write the functionality and tools required. But Roku does offer ways to tell you are holding down a key or let it up and which key that was. Yes.

A navigational way, via some sort of onscreen interaction sounds like the way this is going to play out.  If you're in a grid and you keep navigating to the right maybe the toolbar HUD appears from the right?  Optional?  I'll think this thru a little more when i'm sitting in front of the roku.  

I have a sort of clever solution to this. Where we do not have to break or change the functionality/navigation of the grid at all. You can still go right off the grid and wrap to the left and vice versa. I need to get with the team to show them my idea on this.

How to train users which buttons on the keypad perform which actions? With my idea you will understand what the "unwatched" represents immediately and how to get on and off the toolbar from anywhere in the grid. I took some ideas in how video games tackle these exact same problems. Now to get with the team and see how they want to proceed.

Also if we use the "replay" button to mean jump to and from the toolbar on the poster grid this doesn't mean on the video player it changes. On the video player "replay" will still jump 30 seconds back in the video to allow "instant replay". It is just when video is not playing that we can repurpose it to do the same as the star/asterisk because of the problem of audio playing. When audio plays you can use the "replay" button since using the star/asterisk button won't work and will invoke the internal Roku subsystem menu for options. When not playing music the normal star/asterisk will work and move you to the toolbar. The two buttons can do the same thing. The "replay" button is the backup to the star/asterisk button. It is possible to do this.

Edited by speechles, 20 November 2019 - 04:11 PM.

#55 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

95% of the time people aren't playing music when they want to sort or filter these grids.  Therefore, the button is a useful shortcut most of the time.

If music is playing, you can still navigate to the toolbar normally.

There really isn't anymore investigation needed for this...

#56 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Remember we were here when we were. I will let others revive this topic when that time gets here very shortly. That 5% is vocal. :)

I have everything already. I offered... lol.

Edited by speechles, 20 November 2019 - 04:59 PM.

#57 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

I just want to say that I am in the group that never plays music while browsing. In fact I never use Emby for audio at all ant that will continue until Emby actually correctly supports pause/resume and correctly keeps track of playback position on the various clients I use.

I do not care if the solution that is finally chosen is impacted by audio playback but I do understand why it is important to some users and therefore must be taken into account by developers.

Actually, for me, any single keypress that allows access to the functionality that previously was accessed by the * key is perfectly fine with me. I just want that functionality to be easily accessed no matter how deep I am in my rather large library. As a user I know that I am more than a bit selfish but I believe nearly all users are selfish in that they just want the interface to be functional and simple to use and easy to learn/understand.

#58 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

So you're sitting with the remote in your hand...  Doing what a lot of people do with libraries, with what seems like a never ending selection of media options in front of you:  Scrolling, read description, watch the trailer, scroll, scroll, scroll, watch a trailer and this keeps on going for a while.  Then you decided to filter the movies some other way and then another way.  Before you say screw it and go off to bed.  Everyone has been there.  

The difference is i listen to music during this painful process.  But now that i know it only limits the use of * when music is playing it's all good...  Maybe i can get a TV tuner to fit in with the pack?

Thanks for resolving my my OP!  Great fix (with a small drawback).

I'm out off this topic! 

#59 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

So you're sitting with the remote in your hand...  Doing what a lot of people do with libraries, with what seems like a never ending selection of media options in front of you:  Scrolling, read description, watch the trailer, scroll, scroll, scroll, watch a trailer and this keeps on going for a while.  Then you decided to filter the movies some other way and then another way.  Before you say screw it and go off to bed.  Everyone has been there.  

The difference is i listen to music during this painful process.  But now that i know it only limits the use of * when music is playing it's all good...  Maybe i can get a TV tuner to fit in with the pack?

Thanks for resolving my my OP!  Great fix (with a small drawback).

I'm out off this topic! 

Actually when browsing I never watch trailers or anything else except, occasionally, I go into the details screen to read the description. I guess it is unfortunate that I have a memory "trick" where once I read something I can recall it almost perfectly so once I have read a synopsis I do not need to read it again. I usually read a synopsis when I add a movie to my library. My need is simply to see titles and to easily filter and scroll my movies. I move through my library quite quickly to find a movie to watch but I REALLY do want to be able to change filters and/or sort methods easily and quickly from wherever I am in my library.

BTW: This is not the place to ask for this but I would really like a "random" sort for looking for a movie. NOT a random play but a way to sort my movies in a random order for viewing. It gets boring to always see the movies presented in the same order. I still want to choose what to play I just want to browse in a random order so I do not see the same old shows in the same order all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users