Link two servers through Libraries

Scott D

Scott D

Note:  I’ve searched for a similar request and I’ve seen a similar request but one that combines multiple libraries of the same name via a virtual server.  My idea would be to link multiple servers by selecting a library and then being redirected to a different server.  There would be no need for a dedicated virtual server, just the hook from one server to another.  I agree with other posters that logging out of one server and logging into another server is a bit cumbersome, especially for the technically challenged among us.

Is it possible to link two separate servers through the Library icon (Live TV, Recordings) hyperlink?

Scenario

Location A has server, massive storage and relatively high speed (300/30) internet service.  OTA TV signals are poor to non-existent. 

Location B has server, minimal storage and moderate speed (100/5) internet service.  OTA TV signals are strong and abundant.  Upload speed limits concurrent connections to only a few.

Without relocating all of the hardware of Location A to Location B and consolidating the servers into one (not an option), can the libraries be configured with hyperlinks to the appropriate server?    This would shortcut the process of logging out of one server and logging into another server.  If the user/password could be passed along, the integration would appear seamless.

Server A would be the main entry point for client software.  Only when Live TV or Recordings are selected would the change (redirect) to Server B occur.  This would free up not only Server A, but Server A's internet connection.  Server B would point back to Server A for the Home Screen when exiting Live TV or Recordings.  Realizing there would be a lag, or delay in displaying the screen, but well worth the price for integration.

This would be a great option for several reasons:

1. Access to OTA where not readily available.
  2. Load sharing.  Splitting the Media Libraries to multiple servers would allow for multiple servers to pool resources.
  3. Internet data cap limitations can be pooled and/or balanced.
  4. Maximize the services that are available at each server’s location.  Internet speed at 1, OTA at 2, storage at 3, etc.

Fratopolis

Sounds like this could turn into a Kodi type issue where people sold fire sticks with preprogrammed setups.

People create massive libraries like those that host fmovies (aholes) linking a crap ton of servers together in countries where this is allowed. Then selling a user account that can access them and now with the limit user, setting each user with a limit of 1.

Dark roads ahead I see happening with that idea and possibly the end of Emby.

Though I do like the idea as my mom wouldn't have to switch between mine and hers. But then there's the issue of managing both or tons being on the same versions and also logs from servers not at your location when something does happen.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I too don't think this is a good idea for the perceived legitimacy of the software.  There are plenty of options to access remote storage if the location of the storage platform and OTA antennae don't happen to match up well.  I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot ethernet cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Its unfortunate that some folks abuse the system...however, making it more convenient for a user to switch between servers would be an asset.

Currently, switching servers is a multiple step. In the home page, click on the left menu, "select server", then click again on the server they desire.

My suggestion would be not merge libraries, but allow the client app to map a short cut in the home screen to navigate to a desire server.

Being a long time ex Plex user, that was a nice feature that they had where you can map a library short cut on the left menu, which minimizes the amount of clicks.

This is NOT a show stopper for me since your product out performs Plex, specially in the streaming of remote media.

That's my $0.02...

Thanks