Where is the "Now Playing" screen?

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

Have you explored the buttons in the now playing bar?

The now playing bar is what I'm looking for.  I'm not seeing how to access that screen.

iamspartacus

Have you tried playing something?

I guess I'm confused.  I assumed the now playing screen was something to be accessed by the server manager to be able to view and apparently control streams that users are currently streaming.  What am I missing?

Hi.  You cannot look into and take over control of all devices attached to your server.  This interface is intended for the situation of you casting playback to another device and then being able to control that.

Does that make sense?

The normal dashboard display gives you playback control buttons on each tile for each session though...

seanbuff

I agree, the way the article is written is a little confusing.

In one line it says "The server dashboard also gives you real-time access to monitor what your users are currently watching"

Then it goes on to say "Need to quickly remote control a user's app? This is easily done with the remote control functions built into the web interface."

This seems a little misleading, as if you can control actual remote users client controls?

darkassassin07

Both are true.

From the servers dashboard you can view what streams are currently active as well as play/pause/stop them.

Then separately from that, users with the correct permissions can use one app to remotely control another app. Say for example using your android phone to control playback on your xbox.

iamspartacus

Both are true.

From the servers dashboard you can view what streams are currently active as well as play/pause/stop them.

Then separately from that, users with the correct permissions can use one app to remotely control another app. Say for example using your android phone to control playback on your xbox.

Does this only work if the devices are on the same local subnet?

darkassassin07

No, most users can control one app from any other app signed into the same user account on the same server, regardless of where they are connected from.

Then there is a setting for each user as to whether or not they can control devices signed into other users on the same server as well.

For example:

As the admin of my server I can randomly stop my aunts playback of Dr Who and switch it to Rick-Roll if I like (she lives a good 6hrs away), but she can only see or control the devices she is signed into because she doesn't have that permission.

It is just the screen he was looking for that was designed specifically for casting.

The normal dashboard does have full control of all sessions.

iamspartacus

It is just the screen he was looking for that was designed specifically for casting.

The normal dashboard does have full control of all sessions.

Should the server owner be able to fully control every stream for every user in any Emby app including the web app?

Should the server owner be able to fully control every stream for every user in any Emby app including the web app?

I say yes and they currently can.

Okay, sorry.  There are certain technology requirements for this to work and those may not all be possible in every situation.

Happy2Play

And what do you get when you click the Cast/play on button in the top Right and click on those browser sessions?

iamspartacus

And what do you get when you click the Cast/play on button in the top Right and click on those browser sessions?

No web browsers show up as cast options.  Only Chromecasts and mobile devices.

Edited by iamspartacus

Happy2Play

No web browsers show up as cast options.  Only Chromecasts and mobile devices.

I am in Chrome and see my Firefox session.  I can open Edge and have it added to the list also.

5dcecbff0434b_browser.jpg

iamspartacus

I am in Chrome and see my Firefox session.  I can open Edge and have it added to the list also.

5dcecbff0434b_browser.jpg

Are those sessions on the same local network as your server?  Mine are not.

EDIT:  I just tried with a local firefox session and it still does not show up.

Edited by iamspartacus

Happy2Play

Are those sessions on the same local network as your server?  Mine are not.

Yes same network.  You would have to be allowed through firewall to control other networks.

iamspartacus

Yes same network.  You would have to be allowed through firewall to control other networks.

Same network does not work for me, they don't show up as options.  Only the devices I mentioned above.

Happy2Play

Same network does not work for me, they don't show up as options.  Only the devices I mentioned above.

Actually I just opened Chrome in a remote location (different user) and controlled it from my location (different user) across the WAN.  One thing to check is your User setting for Remote Control.

iamspartacus

Actually I just opened Chrome in a remote location (different user) and controlled it from my location (different user) across the WAN.  One thing to check is your User setting for Remote Control.

I'm the server owner, and yes I'm set to remote control other users and shared devices.  I also can remote control my mobile device which is on a different network.  But I can't remote control any web browser sessions.