What is the Home Assistant add-on?

jriker1

jriker1

Know this isn't Emby specifically to answer but there is an add-on in Home Assistant for Emby.  I've installed it but it just seems to show the Emby server exists, current logged in user, and that it's idle.  Anyone know what this is used for?

Thanks.

JR

seanbuff

It doesn't do a hell of a lot in its current form, but it's a handy way to view the status of all of your clients (local or remote) and be able to control them from your HA dashboard

5dcc979bd3803_emby_ha.png

jriker1

Thanks.  i assume because the only place I watch shows with Emby is on numerous XBox 360 devices I can't really use this?  It does show the playing movie, and a stop button shows when I play movies in HA but it doesn't work and errors.  Other than that, don't have any other buttons like you have above.

Thanks.

JR

jachin99

If you can't get it to work with home assisnt and really want to control your Xboxes then there are tcpip controllers for wmc that can command extenders as well.

adrianwi

Did anyone using this ever find a way just to show active clients rather than a big long list of everything that's ever connected?

I think it would be quite useful if it only showed me 1-3 clients, but not 25-30 :-)

seanbuff

It does show the playing movie, and a stop button shows when I play movies in HA but it doesn't work and errors.  Other than that, don't have any other buttons like you have above.

@@jriker1 I am using a custom media player card, which probably gives me more controls (which actually work) -- you should give it a shot https://github.com/kalkih/mini-media-player

• 5 months later...
skank

Hi,

I got a couple of questions..

I see that current support limits to controlling the client which is playing media stuff.

Is that correct?

Doest this also means i (i use emby kodi addon) can make automations in home assistants, to turn off lights when client x is playing movie, turn on lights when its paused etc etc?

So i dont need an extra addon inside kodi, but do it on HA side?

Are there plans in the future to expand functionallity of this plugin/integration?

I'm thinking about:

- making a card in home assistant to display movie cover which is playing

- showing cards in home assistant to display latest movies added to emby collection (for ex 10 covers) , would rock if that lasts on HA, even if emby server is down

- showing cards of upcoming new releases to display in HA?

Thx for the info

skank

Mmm i see much mediaplyer.emby but not those i need

I use emby for kodi... is that the reason? arent they included then as mediaplayer?

Bambu Utila

Hi,

I got a couple of questions..

I see that current support limits to controlling the client which is playing media stuff.

Is that correct?

Doest this also means i (i use emby kodi addon) can make automations in home assistants, to turn off lights when client x is playing movie, turn on lights when its paused etc etc?

So i dont need an extra addon inside kodi, but do it on HA side?

Are there plans in the future to expand functionallity of this plugin/integration?

I'm thinking about:

- making a card in home assistant to display movie cover which is playing

- showing cards in home assistant to display latest movies added to emby collection (for ex 10 covers) , would rock if that lasts on HA, even if emby server is down

- showing cards of upcoming new releases to display in HA?

Thx for the info

A lot of what you are thinking about is already possible.

I started playing around with Home Assistant 2 days ago.

When Emby plays a movie, or Kodi for that matter, it will show a pic of the movie on the card.

I have managed to link my Hue lights and Kasa switches.

With automation i have it set a hue scene and turn a kasa light switch off when a movie starts. When it stops all the hue lights turn off and the switch turns my spots back on.

My setup is still very basic. Since i don't understand much from HA yet i have a combo of the Hue plugin in Emby working in combo with HA.

I can't differentiate yet in HA if it's playing a movie/tv series/... (that seems to require pretty advanced coding?!?).

So what i did is it set up what my hue lights have to do in Emby and then build automations around that in HA

It is possible to do it all in HA, but i can't figure that one out yet

• 8 months later...

Hi ,

I got a question.

I'm using a vero 4K running kodi, but i use emby for the database

When i play a movie, and i add the kodi mediaplayer in home assistant, it says its idle while i'm actually playing a movie

How can that be?

When i add the emby integration in home assistant, i get another mediaplayer from emby

If i play a movie , then the kodi mediaplayer still shows idle, but the emby mediaplayer is showing playing and the cover of the movie.

In fact thats what i want, however, when i turn down my server (running emby server)  emby is shut down, and i get errors in HA

How do i solve this

1 hour ago, skank said:

Hi ,

I got a question.

I'm using a vero 4K running kodi, but i use emby for the database

When i play a movie, and i add the kodi mediaplayer in home assistant, it says its idle while i'm actually playing a movie

How can that be?

When i add the emby integration in home assistant, i get another mediaplayer from emby

If i play a movie , then the kodi mediaplayer still shows idle, but the emby mediaplayer is showing playing and the cover of the movie.

In fact thats what i want, however, when i turn down my server (running emby server)  emby is shut down, and i get errors in HA

How do i solve this

Hi, is that over Dlna?

seanbuff
4 hours ago, skank said:

when i turn down my server (running emby server)  emby is shut down, and i get errors in HA

what sort of errors are you getting in HA?

The HA / Emby integration doesn't care if the server is off, it's only really tracking the status of the media player 'clients'

image.png.f842ea26ad66631d6b1cd8ce28f8c5cb.png

and those will show as Idle, Unavailable or Off if they aren't on and playing something

WilhelmStroker

You could use a conditional card to hide the player when it's unavailable or idle so you won't get errors when your server is off. 

Edited by WilhelmStroker

• 4 months later...
digitalmt
On 13/11/2019 at 17:55, seanbuff said:

No hace mucho en su forma actual, pero es una forma práctica de ver el estado de todos sus clientes (locales o remotos) y poder controlarlos desde su panel de HA

how you managed to do this, could you explain thank you.

seanbuff
3 hours ago, digitalmt said:

Not sure how familiar you are with HA, but to start you will need to configure your Emby Server details within HA

Add to your Home Assistant configuration.yaml file:

# Example configuration.yaml entry
media_player:
  - platform: emby
    host: YOUR_IP_ADDRESS
    api_key: YOUR_API_KEY

You will need to generate an API Key from the 'Advanced' section in Emby and use that in the above config

Restart HA, and this will initiate the connection to your Emby Server.

You should now be able to play something in Emby, and see the status of that in Home Assistant, try using the Developer Tools and filtering by 'Emby' and 'Playing' to see this
image.png.97b50c3f01b12af864795a2ced7a707c.png

If you successfully see a playing device, that indicates that the HA to Emby connection is valid and working.

The next step is to add some visibility of those entities to your HA dashboard. I am currently using the auto-entities custom card to display only the active clients that are playing something in Emby. Below is a snippet of my config for that:

### EMBY PLAYERS TAB ###
  - type: custom:auto-entities
    title: Emby
    icon: 'mdi:emby'
    show_empty: false
    card:
      type: entities
      title: Active Emby Streams
      show_header_toggle: true
    filter:
      include:
        - entity_id: "media_player.emby_*"
          options:
            type: 'custom:mini-media-player'
            artwork: material
            hide:
              power: true
              power_state: true
              source: false
              volume: true
              runtime: false
      exclude:
        - state: "off"
        - state: "idle"
        - state: "unavailable"

Link to Auto-Entities Custom Card

Let us know how you go 👌🏽

• Like 4

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

Not sure how familiar you are with HA, but to start you will need to configure your Emby Server details within HA

Add to your Home Assistant configuration.yaml file:

media_player:

You will need to generate an API Key from the 'Advanced' section in Emby and use that in the above config

Restart HA, and this will initiate the connection to your Emby Server.

You should now be able to play something in Emby, and see the status of that in Home Assistant, try using the Developer Tools and filtering by 'Emby' and 'Playing' to see this
image.png.97b50c3f01b12af864795a2ced7a707c.png

If you successfully see a playing device, that indicates that the HA to Emby connection is valid and working.

The next step is to add some visibility of those entities to your HA dashboard. I am currently using the auto-entities custom card to display only the active clients that are playing something in Emby. Below is a snippet of my config for that:

### EMBY PLAYERS TAB ###
  - type: custom:auto-entities
    title: Emby
    show_empty: false
    card:
      type: entities
      title: Active Emby Streams
      show_header_toggle: true
    filter:
      include:
        - entity_id: "media_player.emby_*"
          options:
            type: 'custom:mini-media-player'
            artwork: material
            hide:
              power: true
              power_state: true
              source: false
              volume: true
              runtime: false
      exclude:
        - state: "off"
        - state: "idle"
        - state: "unavailable"

Link to Auto-Entities Custom Card

Let us know how you go 👌🏽

Thanks for this 

• 1 month later...
EQUALITYCG
On 31/05/2021 at 14:24, digitalmt said:

Hello seanbuff
I would love some help with this please
ps i'm a noob
I'm struging with the 2 part
I'm running HA via docker
Clean install for testing untill i push it to a live build of my HA etc

seanbuff
2 hours ago, EQUALITYCG said:

I would love some help with this please

Sure, which bit in particular do you need help with?

1. Generate API Key from Emby Server
  2. Add 'Media Player' config to HA
  3. Display 'Now Playing' Emby entities in Lovelace UI

EQUALITYCG
2 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Sure, which bit in particular do you need help with?

1. Generate API Key from Emby Server
  2. Add 'Media Player' config to HA
  3. Display 'Now Playing' Emby entities in Lovelace UI

Hi seanbuff
Thank you very much for returning my message
I never tought you would i feel so luck

1. Done that easy
2. Are you talking about the Below Because that done that easy
3. not sure I think that the part that should be easy yet strugging with
No idea what to do

Once again Thank you very very much for retuning my message

media_player:
Edited by EQUALITYCG

seanbuff

Hi, I'm happy to help here so that others may benefit also.

Have you verified that if you play something in Emby, you can see the status of playback in HA using the Developer Tools as described above? This will confirm that HA can see activity. If you have done this then you can move on to getting something loaded onto the HA interface. If not, then you need to focus on troubleshooting that bit first before moving on.

Do you know if you are using the Dashboard Editor for HA, or you are using the now legacy YAML mode?

If using the former (now the default) - see the short video on this page to easily add entities to your Dashboard

For the most basic functionality, these are the minimum steps:

On the top bar, hit the ... dots on the right, and go to 'Edit Dashboard'

image.png.4998374b8ad3f386ac17ef1d9708f261.png

You will then see an 'Add Card' button

image.png.d069fe668711d44050188e583e23db2c.png

You want to scroll down to the 'Media Control' card

image.png.8703c5fe553b70949820dd3f02183142.png

From there, you will get a Entity drop-down box with all your "media player" entities, select an Emby player that you know is playing something currently (it should have a different icon to indicate it is playing something)

image.png.160ef22de5da4ce1eedc814db7f36dfc.png

You'll know you have picked the right one when you can see a preview of what it is currently playing

image.png.944def39e96634bedb45b0adca5b12a8.png

Hit 'Save' and your blank dashboard should now finally show a new Emby media player card

image.png.21086f46cec8c3fb8435e52c58c3b526.png

Continue the above process to add as many players as you'd like to that tab.

Once you have achieved that part, you have successfully completed the Emby / HA integration.

Report back and we can get on with more advanced config like using 'Conditional Cards' to show only active Emby clients

EQUALITYCG
10 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Hi, I'm happy to help here so that others may benefit also.

Have you verified that if you play something in Emby, you can see the status of playback in HA using the Developer Tools as described above? This will confirm that HA can see activity. If you have done this then you can move on to getting something loaded onto the HA interface. If not, then you need to focus on troubleshooting that bit first before moving on.

Do you know if you are using the Dashboard Editor for HA, or you are using the now legacy YAML mode?

If using the former (now the default) - see the short video on this page to easily add entities to your Dashboard

For the most basic functionality, these are the minimum steps:

On the top bar, hit the ... dots on the right, and go to 'Edit Dashboard'

image.png.4998374b8ad3f386ac17ef1d9708f261.png

You will then see an 'Add Card' button

image.png.d069fe668711d44050188e583e23db2c.png

You want to scroll down to the 'Media Control' card

image.png.8703c5fe553b70949820dd3f02183142.png

From there, you will get a Entity drop-down box with all your "media player" entities, select an Emby player that you know is playing something currently (it should have a different icon to indicate it is playing something)

image.png.160ef22de5da4ce1eedc814db7f36dfc.png

You'll know you have picked the right one when you can see a preview of what it is currently playing

image.png.944def39e96634bedb45b0adca5b12a8.png

Hit 'Save' and your blank dashboard should now finally show a new Emby media player card

image.png.21086f46cec8c3fb8435e52c58c3b526.png

Continue the above process to add as many players as you'd like to that tab.

Once you have achieved that part, you have successfully completed the Emby / HA integration.

Report back and we can get on with more advanced config like using 'Conditional Cards' to show only active Emby clients

Thank you
That was easy i had that running but wasn't sure if its was right because i don't have the progress bar on my as well as volume etc etc
My works I just want it like the above
I'm missing how far its into the movie and skipping etc
I would love volume + / - would be the best thing to add
the  EMBY tabs i guess is the part I'm missing

BIG BIG BIG Thanks for your help

### EMBY PLAYERS TAB ###

This one

image.png.241650d7ca5bd2c119b97c34aa77c36e.png

seanbuff

Okay no worries. 

Firstly your player is currently showing the Play button which means nothing is playing and therefore no progress bar, but it should definitely be there when its actually 'playing' something.

As mentioned previously, that screenshot you posted is using a custom card to allow extra functionality (namely volume control) and a few more visual tweaks.

The best and easiest way to install this custom card and many more is to install HACS, which can be found here (think of it as a 3rd Party Add-on store)

The custom card you are looking for is called Mini Media Player

image.png.3a6929a2c2c4c25e7faf29b2b5168f3d.png

You will be able to find it in the HACS "Frontend" library

Once installed, it will become a new card you can choose from instead of the default Media Player Card

image.png.1e8f4b295e80e9508801c485425902e4.png

And will offer you extra config to play with when setting up the card

image.png.8ec8e8f00516a503306ff8b85cc6b65f.png

Also, when I refer "Emby Tab" - it is simply the same I gave to my Emby Players Tab (what you see is the code view of that config)

image.png.916fb59c8a11be06b156257a263e92fe.png

^ This is the tab name, you can call it whatever you want 🙂

Hope this helps answer your questions

Edited by seanbuff

EQUALITYCG

Hello again

So i found mini Media Player
I wasn't looking at HACS "front end"
ops my badstill trying to get the rest

the lovelace do i need that

and how or do i need to add the
Asi I'm stuck at this time with Player Card