Summary info and web links in Music library items on iOS not displayed?

jlambie
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jlambie

Hi

Newbie here. I set up my libraries as advised for different media, and all is looking good in the web app. However in the iOS app (on both iPhone and iPad) the overview info for albums which I meticulously added in the web app isn’t visible at all. Ditto the web links - Music Brainz, Audio dB etc. They are displayed for all items in my movies and TV shows libraries in iOS but not for any music items at all other than in the web app. So I was wondering:

- Maybe these things just don’t display for music libraries on iOS? (e.g. due to space constraints in the page layout?)
- Maybe I have inadvertently done something I wasn’t aware of or intended to do in the settings? I can’t see that I have done though, but then I probably did tick stuff thinking I understood it. Such is life.

On the subject of the album summaries, I have noticed that even if I have split text into paragraphs, in the web app it is only represented as one solid continuous text block? Is this just how it is or is this a known issue?

Thanks!

Edited by jlambie

Hi, it's the same user interface so they should be there. Can you show a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks.

jlambie

Thanks Luke, much appreciated.

Attached are the screenshots from firstly the web app and then iPhone. I will have another look at my settings meantime to see if I can figure it out.

jlambie

Thanks Luke, much appreciated.

Attached are the screenshots from firstly the iPhone and then the web app. I will have another look at my settings meantime to see if I can figure it out.

post-491461-0-32299400-1573719143_thumb.png

post-491461-0-22429000-1573719436_thumb.png

Edited by jlambie

jlambie

What about the web app on the same device?

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this.

So, still no overviews or web links in the music library on the web app for both iPhone and iPad. This is the same using both Chrome and Safari.

Things work as expected on the web app though on both a Windows PC and laptop. Also web links and overviews are present in the music libraries on the Fire TV Stick app.

In other words, the common denominator seems to be both the iOS app and the web app on iOS. Hmmm.

I don’t get why this is only affecting the music libraries though and definitely not movies or TV shows. I have checked again on my music library settings - there’s nothing that jumps out at me, but I will post them separately.

Thanks again.

jlambie

I have attached screenshots for the settings in my music library in case I have made an obvious error, but I still don’t get why this is only an issue on iOS for both the iOS app and the web app. I have looked in the iOS settings, will keep looking.post-491461-0-58702000-1573766792_thumb.pngpost-491461-0-32063400-1573766810_thumb.pngpost-491461-0-89749700-1573766826_thumb.png

Yes I remember this now. We hid the overview from mobile layouts a while ago due to complaints about having to scroll down to get to the songs. In other words, complaints that it takes longer to just quickly browse and play. So yes we can bring it back, but we have to think about how that will happen first. Thanks.

• Like 1

jlambie

Actually, I would be happy - in the absence of having the overviews accessible in iOS - to have the web links to Music Brainz available, if nothing else. Is that doable?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
jlambie

Hey @@Luke, I discovered yesterday that the iOS now does have the web links added at the foot of the page. I am absolutely delighted with this! It looks fine too at the end of the page, not obtrusive at all. Big thumbs up and huge thank you

• 6 months later...
jlambie

Hi @Luke

Just reviving this. First time using the iOS app for some time - and it looks like the overviews and the web links to MusicBrainz have vanished. Is this by accident or design do you know? Just to confirm, they are absent in the iOS app on both iPad and iPhone, as well as in the iOS web app. They are fine in Windows, so it does appear to be an iOS thing.

Thanks 🙏 

Edited by jlambie
Accuracy

jlambie
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It wasn't intended. We'll take a look. Thanks.

Many thanks Luke, much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
jlambie
On 7/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, Luke said:

It wasn't intended. We'll take a look. Thanks.

Hi

Looks like they’re still absent on both iOS apps - that’s overviews and MusicBrainz links. 

Thanks. Links should be back in the next release. Overview I still need to look at.

• Thanks 1

jlambie

Thanks Luke. If and when the overviews do return on iOS, would there be any way of formatting paragraphs at the same time?

I put in a request about this before - makes it a much more enjoyable experience to have text breaks instead of a big dense paragraph of text. Looks very unsightly - would make for a more user friendly experience IMO. 

Thanks!

You can use some basic html in your overviews for line breaks and things of that nature.

jlambie
On 7/20/2020 at 7:26 PM, Luke said:

You can use some basic html in your overviews for line breaks and things of that nature.

Ok, but having just given this a go (and I know nothing about html, I just googled how to do it), this is going to be a very lengthy process to do this for a fairly sizeable music library.

Also, I don’t know whether there is a character limit on overview text in the web app, but it looks a complete mess unless you expand it using the ‘see more’ option. And even then longer overviews don’t fit in. It may be a html settings thing, I don’t know. Another example - additional line spacing automatically added between paragraphs. I have tried to apply basic fixes I googled for this but they haven’t stuck. 

14 hours ago, jlambie said:

Ok, but having just given this a go (and I know nothing about html, I just googled how to do it), this is going to be a very lengthy process to do this for a fairly sizeable music library.

Also, I don’t know whether there is a character limit on overview text in the web app, but it looks a complete mess unless you expand it using the ‘see more’ option. And even then longer overviews don’t fit in. It may be a html settings thing, I don’t know. Another example - additional line spacing automatically added between paragraphs. I have tried to apply basic fixes I googled for this but they haven’t stuck. 

Can we look at some examples? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...