Photo

Sluggish home network acces

Best Answer jlr19 , 13 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

My OP issue has completely stopped for now, I can now access emby "1" from pc "2"  reliably and just fine, but...

see: https://emby.media/c...-emby-for-kodi/

pc "2" and "3" have coincidently stopped connecting their identical respective Kodi/Emby for Kodi setup's to Emby "1".

Can you say ghost in the machine ?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

For the last 3 days or so, I have a difficult time to access Emby from my home network.

Emby server runs on computer "1", and if I access Emby directly from the host computer "1", everything seems normal.

However, if I try to access Emby from computer "2", I either get just the Emby logo, or spinning circle  and/or mostly incomplete page content.

Computer "2" is my main workhorse computer and is otherwise not showing any issues. It also runs Emby for Kodi without issues

Computer "3" is my htpc and it can access both Emby web and Emby for Kodi just fine.

Computers "1" and "2" have been restarted multiple time trying to get them to fix the issue, to no avail.

I am running Emby v 4.3.0.21 beta and I believe my access issue started soon after last update.

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 09:20 AM.

#2 Patrick1945 OFFLINE  

Patrick1945

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 PM
  • LocationAntwerp (Belgium)

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Here the same, outside the home network is the accestime normal.

#3 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

I do not use or need Emby from outside my home.

All 3 computers (mentionned above) are ethernet wired.

As I type here, Emby has been trying to open for at least 20 minutes, all I see is a 90% black screen, the Emby header and the spinning circle. PC's "1" and "2" are essentially idle (cpu, memory). Server show 0% Emby cpu usage.

After the last of 20 or more F5's, the home page fully loaded within a second. This is the "non-pattern" I've observed since this started 3 days ago. It will not load (or be 90% crippled) for hours, then be back blazing fast as if nothing happened. 

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#4 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48178 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

How is computer 2 connected to the network?

Have you installed anything new on that machine?

It is highly unlikely this is an Emby problem but please post a server log with specifics on what you tried to access and when.

#5 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

How is computer 2 connected to the network?

All 3 computer wired ethernet.

When pc "2" (workhorse) can't load/use Emby (installed on pc "1" along with media collection), it can access all the same content thru Windows Explorer.

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#6 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:55 AM

Have you installed anything new on that machine?

It is highly unlikely this is an Emby problem but please post a server log with specifics on what you tried to access and when.

Business as usual for both Emby host and client.

Will post log shortly.

Here's the log but like the classic dentist running gag, Emby presently loads normally.

I will repost a fresh log when issue resumes.

Attached Files

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#7 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48178 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

Put your log in debug mode and restart the server before testing.

Thanks.

#8 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

Put your log in debug mode and restart the server before testing.

Thanks.

We'll do as soon as issue resumes. Thanks.

#9 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:14 AM   Best Answer

My OP issue has completely stopped for now, I can now access emby "1" from pc "2"  reliably and just fine, but...

see: https://emby.media/c...-emby-for-kodi/

pc "2" and "3" have coincidently stopped connecting their identical respective Kodi/Emby for Kodi setup's to Emby "1".

Can you say ghost in the machine ?

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#10 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12914 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 AM

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Can you access 2 from 1?

#11 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

Can you access 2 from 1?

If you mean embyweb to emby server, its now OK, yes (but I don't have a clue why it stopped and then resumed working).

But I now have a different problem, "2" and "3" wont connect to 1 thru kodi/emby for kodi.

While I realize this is not a Kodi addon thread, the fact I have 2 machines showing exactly the same symptoms lends me to believe the problem is with Emby not "letting them in".

#12 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12914 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 AM

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

If 2 and 3 never have problems communicating, then I'd suggest checking network hardware for 1. Cables and ethernet ports. It's sounds like something is failing.

#13 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

If 2 and 3 never have problems communicating, then I'd suggest checking network hardware for 1. Cables and ethernet ports. It's sounds like something is failing.

Wouldn't that cause problem outside of emby ? My internet connection is perfect, all 3 pc can be accessed from each other  from windows explorer, both shared drive and home network browsing all work fine.

#14 Trunk OFFLINE  

Trunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

I'll post this. A bit out of the blue. :)

List of things (kind of advanced stuff) I check if I have any trouble like this. Check this on the computer running Emby.

• Package loss / transfer rate. Check with speedtest.net
  • Inbound TCP connection limit (I see you are using Windows 7 for Emby) this limit can be hit quite fast. And the limit is ~20 concurrent clients / connections. I hit this wall couple of times. There are workarrounds.
  • Windows Firewall (if you do advanced stuff here) a network change can invalidate approved adapters connected to a rule. Like when updating drivers / changing workgroups aso. this can happen.
  • Du you have IPv6 in addition to IPv4 on your LAN? Some WAN / NAT routers (old ones) get confused here on the LAN.

-M.

#15 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

First results is from very new pc "2" I am getting speeds 13% over advertised (50/400)

5dcc3689577b6_Capture3.jpg

This from the older win7 "1". An obvious loss of dl, but IMO still sufficient to get things done 

5dcc36981aa83_Capture4.png

Those 2 pc are side by side, wired to same ethernet switch and router.

Edit: forgot to say we're still in ipv4 neck of the wood.

And I never go near the windows firewall settings/rules/etc

Edited by jlr19, 13 November 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#16 Trunk OFFLINE  

Trunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

I have seen the same issue by not all content loading in the Emby Web UI where I hit the rate limit when I was also watching some content on another device (not direct playing but streaming).

I would try to disable TCP/IP rate limiting.

Disclaimer: this is involves modifying the registry so you should be very careful.

1. On the machine running Emby Server open "Registry Editor" (regedit.exe) (search for it in the start menu).
  2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters"
  3. Look for a key named "EnableConnectionRateLimiting" and set it to 0 (zero).
  4. If it's missing create a new DWORD named "EnableConnectionRateLimiting" with the value 0
  5. Reboot

-M

#17 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

I have seen the same issue by not all content loading in the Emby Web UI where I hit the rate limit when I was also watching some content on another device (not direct playing but streaming).

-M

When I had the problem earlier, the home network was almost dead still. No streaming, no down/upload, even their respective task mgr's were basically idling.

I'll leave the registry alone for now. :)

#18 Trunk OFFLINE  

Trunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

When I had the problem earlier, the home network was almost dead still. No streaming, no down/upload, even their respective task mgr's were basically idling.

I'll leave the registry alone for now. :)

Sure. :) This is just my theory of your issue.

The reason the rate limit can hit is if a computer is behind a NAT-router and running multiple applications accessing the network (externally). Mostly long running connections.

Windows 7 is not actually made for hosting stuff (as a webserver). This is the TCP stack in Windows and not Emby. But Emby struggle when hitting the limit. This have actually changed a bit in Windows 10. Microsoft have loosened up this TCP limit a bit.

Edited by Trunk, 13 November 2019 - 02:23 PM.

• jlr19 likes this

#19 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

Windows 7 is not actually made for hosting stuff (as a webserver). This is the TCP stack in Windows and not Emby. But Emby struggle when hitting the limit. This have actually changed a bit in Windows 10. Microsoft have loosened up this TCP limit a bit.

And this pc running win7 and emby server will more than likely be replaced around next tax return; new mobo-cpu new fresh install OS.

• Trunk likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users