Hit and miss recordings using Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual tuner

Robert X. Gonzalez

Robert X. Gonzalez

When I travel on holiday, I like to take my laptop with me and use Emby to records programing in the places I visit.  It is a hit and miss.  Sometimes the recordings using Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual tuner are perfect, other times they are choppy as if a weak signal with squares and loss of complete signal.  Yet, when I use the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual tuner WINTV software, the same channels Emby is recording or trying to record are crystal clear.  I put them side by side and can watch the WINTV but Emby is choppy at best.  This seems to happen on certain channels and cannot isolate why.  Both Emby and the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual tuner have the most current software and to enure correct channels do channel mapping.  Also, sometimes even in what appears to be a perfect recording, unable to conver that recording to .MP4 or .MKV, just hangs at different percentages. When I am home and use the Silicon dust tuners, the recordings and live TV are perfect, no issue so suspect something in the Hauppauge and Emby but no idea what I would need to configure.  Any ideas will help.  i am currently visiting in New Hampshire and will be back in Texas on Saturday.  This happened a few weeks ago in Arizona and New Mexico.  Hit and miss or choppy live and or recordings.

Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

Thanks!  I am back in South Texas.  I suspect something amiss with the interaction of Hauppauge and Emby given that Hauppauge TV is clear and crisp using their software.  I will stand by!

• 1 month later...
heypaleblue

Hey Robert

Do you know what version of WinTV you are using? I need to buy a license for WinTV so I can get my tuner working in emby and i"m not sure what version works

Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

First, Happy New Year!  Thought to provide you with an update for my issues with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual tuner.  Basically, I got fed up as other issues started to flare to include Emby not being able to do conversions for anything I recorded on GRIT TV (and in .ts the picture was perfect, but will not convert).  This despite upgrading to the latest software release by Hauppauge.  I even nuked my profile on my travel laptop and went into the registry to remove traces (those I could find).  All a no go.  So, decided to get a Hauuppauge Wintv-Quadhd USB Four HD ATSC Digital TV Tuners for USB 3.0 W/PIP.  All aside this tuner has 4 TV tuners and what seems to be a slightly more advanced SW package. Initial tests are all GREEN, no errors, failure or other aberrations I was experiencing.  Consequently, suspecting the dual tuner may have gone bad or was bad all along as I only used it sparingly.  Now that I am retired and traveling, have become more demanding of my Emby and where ever I go out West, NorthEast or MidWest, want to record local TV movies/TV. Never have had any issues with the Silicon Dust tuners which I prefer, but they are not travel in nature (but did rig one up once and worked, but not worth the effort).  Will keep you posted, and in the meantime, I look forward to revamping Hauppauge support to make things even better.  Keep up the good work!

Robert