Playlist Controls (Repeat, etc)

piecesofme
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

piecesofme

Hello!

I started looking at Emby because the Plex playlists features are woefully inadequate and despite paying premium users begging for basic additional controls for literally years now, they are completely ignoring us. I reached out via a couple of forums to other Emby users to find out if what I’m looking for is doable in Emby - namely, a simple repeat feature to be able to start watching something later in a playlist and it have continue playing by circling back to the beginning until it’s stopped. My spouse and I both have severe sleep problems and we like to sleep to various TV playlists in the background but it gets tiring to have to start early on and end up watching the same few shows over and over because the media won’t keep playing once it gets to the end. I had folks respond and tell me that Emby does indeed have the ability to repeat video playlists with a simple button click somewhere to choose it. Brilliant! I was thrilled and decided to jump in with both feet. 

So, I’ve spend the last few days (straight) getting Emby installed, and up and running and manually fixing all the videos that it didn’t properly pull the metadata and images for. I finally made several playlists last night to take a look at the actually functions and navigation and so far, much of it is miles ahead of Plex, thankfully! However, I cannot find where I change the settings to allow a playlist to repeat itself and continue playing once it gets to the end. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of and still cannot seem to find it. Right now, I’m doing all the editing and setup in a browser but the playback is actually via the Roku client, at this point. 

Can anyone please, please help me figure out how to setup video playlists to repeat all? I know the setting has to be in there somewhere but it’s just so frustrating that I cannot seem to find it yet. I know folks wouldn’t have told me that it was not only possible but simple/easy to do via a quick setting change, if it wasn’t true. They definitely seemed to know what they were talking about. :) I’m just frustrated at my own lack of knowledge in being able to find the settings myself or via a search!

Thanks so much in advance for any info and assistance! I look forward to learning Emby better from this amazing community! :)

However, I cannot find where I change the settings to allow a playlist to repeat itself and continue playing once it gets to the end. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of and still cannot seem to find it.

Hi, there is no setting, you would just do it directly in the audio or video player. The video player has a repeat mode function in it, so you can just set that to repeat all after you start playing.

piecesofme

Hi, there is no setting, you would just do it directly in the audio or video player. The video player has a repeat mode function in it, so you can just set that to repeat all after you start playing.

I’m embarrassed but I’m not fully following - sort of...

Are you saying that Emby creates standard Playlist files that other media players can read? If so, where does Emby store them? Meaning where do I find them?

Secondly, since I want to use the Emby interface (therefore the Emby clients) where/how do I do the repeat in the Emby client/media player? Right now I’m using Roku. Does that matter? Do some of the other clients have different features on this?

Thanks so much in advance!!

• Solution

image.png

Use gear/cog button to open the Playback settings.

image.png

If you select repeat mode on this menu it will repeat your entire playlist once it finishes. This means it will play forever.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

I’m embarrassed but I’m not fully following - sort of...

Are you saying that Emby creates standard Playlist files that other media players can read? If so, where does Emby store them? Meaning where do I find them?

Secondly, since I want to use the Emby interface (therefore the Emby clients) where/how do I do the repeat in the Emby client/media player? Right now I’m using Roku. Does that matter? Do some of the other clients have different features on this?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Curious, how do you think my response relates to playlist files?

piecesofme

Curious, how do you think my response relates to playlist files?

It was when you said that the controls were in the video or audio player. I was thinking that somehow you were saying to be that it wasn’t Emby that controlled that (or the Emby client) but whatever video/audio player I was using. And I couldn’t figure out how I’d even use a different video/audio player w/Emby. I just didn’t realize in what you were saying that you were calling the Emby client the video/audio player. Does that make sense now?

piecesofme

image.png

Use gear/cog button to open the Playback settings.

image.png

If you select repeat mode on this menu it will repeat your entire playlist once it finishes. This means it will play forever.

Thank you, thank you! I looked all in the playlist area for all the settings and within the file page where you play it. I didn’t realize that there were the additional settings that came up once it was playing. Genius and exactly what I was looking for!!! And your images were totally awesome and made it super easy to find. Seriously, thank you SO much. I’m so sorry it took me awhile to figure that out and that I didn’t understand what Luke was saying previously.