New to Emby

kingsphan71

kingsphan71

Hi all,

First of all, Im quite impressed with the functionality of Emby and it loads much quicker than both Kodi and Plex.  Thanks for putting this together so well.

I've had Kodi for several years until I recently jumped onto the Plex ship about 6 months ago.  Plex is great for remote streaming and it does it well.  However, the decision by the makers to remove all plugins just down right sucks.  Plex is very limited in basic tasks and that is disappointing.

I decided to try Emby and love it so far.  I have a few questions.

1 - Are there unofficial plugins that work that are not in the Admin center of Emby?  It seems like it.  I see there's a plugin for retro gaming (gamebrowser) and that is not in the Admin center.

2 - Silly question: Emby theater and Emby are the same thing, right?

3 - Is there's a indication icon that will tell you if someone is connected to your server and watching?  Plex has it at the top of the screen (seem image below)

one person is connected here

5dc867395b5d5_3b5c093aec30013a7939a59054

thanks again, guys!

Running Emby on a FreeNAS system

darkassassin07

Im not certain about your first question,

But for your second question:

'Emby' is the whole project overall, but mainly refers to the server software and the web client thats built into that.

'Emby theater' is the name of the seprate installable client software for windows/ios/linux computers aswell as the xbox app. You then also have apps like 'Emby for android', etc.

For the third question,

When you view your server dashboard you get a list of devices currently connected, what they are playing, and the details of that stream (whether its direct playing, or transcoding + why)

active.png

Hi there, welcome.

1 - Are there unofficial plugins that work that are not in the Admin center of Emby?  It seems like it.  I see there's a plugin for retro gaming (gamebrowser) and that is not in the Admin center.

Yes we have a plugin catalog built into the server. There are also additional plugins you'll find in this community that are not in the catalog.

2 - Silly question: Emby theater and Emby are the same thing, right?

Yes. Emby Theater is just the name we've given to the client application on some devices.