Backdrops For Songs

stevesb99

stevesb99

Would it be possible to display a full screen backdrop image for a song as it is playing?

I used to be able to do this in my Media Center setup in Win 7, but can no longer do it.

stevesb99

Hi Luke. I guess I need to explain more clearly what I want to do.Here is the backdrop image i want to display as the song plays. Maybe calling

it a backdrop image is not correct. When I click on the song from the album list I want the

browser screen, or Emby Theater screen, to switch to this image as the song plays. I don't want it shown as a vague

background behind all the text on the main screen as seen in the second photo here.

In good old Media Browser/Emby for Windows Media Center in Windows 7 I was able to do this by assigning an image

backdrop to each song and then choosing a specific display mode in Settings, as I recall. 

5dc566f99745e_BorninTheUSA.png

5dc56b607e4fc_Bruce.jpg

Edited by stevesb99

stevesb99

Sounds good, but I came up with my own solution. I quickly converted each song and corresponding lyrics still image into an .mp4  video file in Premiere (It goes very fast).

I then created a Home Videos and Photos content library and named it Music Albums. I then populate this library with folders containing my albums of music videos.

Now I have to do a lot of manual labor retrieving metadata for each album but it's worth the effort in my opinion.

5dc5b5ef2df0a_Mainscreen.jpg

5dc5b6068fe64_Mainscreen2.jpg

5dc5b61876140_Mainscreen3.jpg

5dc5b62dac092_Mainscreen4.jpg

5dc5b640cdec8_Mainscreen5.jpg

Edited by stevesb99

What might even be cooler and I don't know if it's possible is that Emby could key off of the artist name and do a google or bing search on images for the artist and use the endless results from that search as the image backdrops for music playback.  Maybe then even use the same search at All Music Guide and get the artist bio info to scroll while playing as well.  Sounds pretty complicated but would be pretty cool to see.

Don't really want to air dirty laundry here but the images that musicbrainz and AudioDB pull are kind of stale.  Even when they do, for some reason with my setup they only pull like maybe 1 or 2 different backdrop photos for each artist. Sometimes it will save like 7 copies of the same image and then I have to go in and find different images to replace them with (or just delete them altogether and not replace). I end up manually having to go do a google or bing search for images and save them off individually to the album/artist folders.  While doing so one day I thought ..."man it would really be cool if it just did this for me on its own"...that's where the idea comes from.  but I do realize this is a nice to have, not necessary for the function of the system so it would just take away resources from things that really need to be worked on.  So just saying one day it might be something cool to see.

Thanks any

EZEd

Just also wanted to add, it is also one of the reasons that I advocate so much for either simultaneous image slideshow capability (so I can see my own family pictures while music is playing) or incorporation of using visualizations is because the visual imagery presentation during music playback are kind of meager within current Emby. From a visual appeal standpoint even Windows Media Player is even better during music playback.  I know in the future it will get better because you guys work really hard in making Emby work as well as it does...and that is greatly appreciated.  But for those of us who are coming from years of Windows Media Center use and how beautiful and functional it was presentation wise; its hard not to compare and set lofty expectations.  I know we're being unrealistic, comparing the time and resources of a few dedicated and mostly volunteer developers to the unlimited resources of Microsoft Corp but you have to realize the bar was already set pretty high and what we users really want to see is elevation beyond that bar.  Again, as I've stated before, in a great many ways Emby has already gone beyond that bar by implementing a true server/client architecture and incorporating recordable streaming TV/IPTV into its native capability.  Microsoft would have never done that.  But again, the smooth functionality and general eye candy of WMC was hard to beat.  That again is what I'm really pulling for you guys to do, is make WMC look like child's play and really dazzle the user community...become the king of the 10ft interface world...so far you've got my vote.

EZEd

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Rakerman27

My Sony android display shows a dirty great big folder art right in the middle of the screen with a spectrum analyser. Just about totally obscuring the backdrop. Is this correct, folder art looks awful blown up so large. Is there a setting somewhere to change.