Which Roku device to buy

riverboat2001

riverboat2001

I watch a mix of live tv and tv series that are stored on my NAS. 
Almost all of it in standard Definition.

I have a XIAOMI Mi TV Box S Negro and it performs reasonably well.

I'm looking to get another box for a different room and saw the Roku and that it runs Emby. And it looks like i could easily download and run Amazon Prime and Iplayer and 4OD without sideloading anything.
Given that despite having homeplugs the wifi in my house is rubbish, which would be the best device for my needs?

Do any of them have an ethernet port? or a really good wifi capability?

There is  Roku streaming stick, Roku Express, Roku Premier and Roku Ultra (I'm in the UK and don't have Netflix or anything like that, but i do use iptv)
How do i connect it on an older tv that doen't have a USB port?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

I think your Android box is going to handle mpeg2 better.  Why are you looking to change platforms?

riverboat2001

Basically, I need another box for another room, but I'd really like all the UK catch-up channels available on it. And it does sometimes struggle with live BBC, the WiFi is very poor, so I just thought a Roku might have an ethernet port on it and native catch-up apps.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

ProperlyFormattedDataFile

FYI the USB port is just for power. You don't need to connect it to the TV (and in fact I wouldn't recommend it, because then your Roku can't turn your TV on), you just use the included power adapter.

As to whether you want one, it has by far the best range of services available, but for emby with live TV the lack of good mpeg2 support really drags it down.

but for emby with live TV the lack of good mpeg2 support really drags it down.

I know you didn't really mean it to sound this way, but just for clarification for the reader, this doesn't have anything to do with Emby.  It is just a deficiency of the device.

but for emby with live TV the lack of good mpeg2 support really drags it down.

Our MPEG2 detection in Emby on Roku is amazing. The playback and recovery of MPEG2 streams within the Emby on Roku app is 100% awesome.

But the Roku firmware and its somewhat shaky MPEG2 support is dragging us down. This is where the issues lie. This is why you have to lower bitrate to get reliable MPEG2 playback. It is not our code, our logic, or any failings on our part. I want to get that part straight as an arrow.

Roku will eventually fix this problem with MPEG2. It is not something really an "EMBY" problem. This MPEG2 on Roku issue affects every Roku app equally. We are ALL in the same boat. It is a Roku core issue not anything purely Emby related. 

For example:

https://community.roku.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=mpeg2&advanced=true&sort_by=-topicPostDate&collapse_discussion=true&search_type=thread

Please use the thread above. See how many MPEG2 threads exist on Roku forums. Now you can see the weight of the problem.

Edited by speechles

ProperlyFormattedDataFile

I know you didn't really mean it to sound this way, but just for clarification for the reader, this doesn't have anything to do with Emby.  It is just a deficiency of the device.

Yeah, it's the Roku that's dragging Emby down and not the other way around :)

• Like 1

riverboat2001

Sorry, perhaps i should have made clear. Live tv is via the Emby app.
Do to the WIFI problem here i have to set it to change the streaming down to 420kbps

Given that, does that change the advice?

Sorry, perhaps i should have made clear. Live tv is via the Emby app.

Do to the WIFI problem here i have to set it to change the streaming down to 420kbps

Given that, does that change the advice?

If you are change LiveTV down to 420kbps your choice of Roku is limited by your desires. If you want 4K capability. If you want SD card and USB ports. If you want the lost remote finder button. If you want it all inside a single unit like a RokuTV where there is no HDMI or visible set top box or dongle.

It is all up to your desires and wants if you are already transcoding LiveTV. The burden of streaming down to 420kbps is on your CPU/GPU of your server. You can get a Roku express on Amazon for around 25 dollars USD. These come with the required usb power cords, wall-wart plug if you need that to use with the usb power cord, and they come with HDMI cables and HDMI extenders. So everything you need with Roku is now in one box. They do not make you hunt. Even batteries for the remote are in the box. 

If you want advice on features you can use Roku website or Youtube. They are really your best advice. There is much more in the Roku ecosystem than just Emby. You can experience more on Roku than any other device. Think about that in your evaluation. When you are done evaluate make a choice. Tell us what choice you made. This is entirely yours. You do not really need us to give you advice other than YES any Roku device will work at 420kbps when transcoding.

81s9HTg8KPL._SL1500_.jpg

The above is only $24 USD on Amazon right now (click the picture).

You Save: $5.99 (20%)

( full disclosure: I get no compensation or anything from the above link nor does Emby. This is a courtesy from one user to another to provide a link to the sale of the device. I also own a Roku express (model 3900) in my lineup of test devices. )

The Roku express supports full 1080P backgrounds, 1080P playback, full animations, full fades, full rotations with zoom/scaling. All effects used in the Emby app will work on this device. You are not sacrifice your Emby experience any by getting an express versus an ultra. The ultra has more bells and whistles (a WiFi remote vs IR remote), supports more audio formats (AAC 5.1 downsample on device to AAC 2.0), has 4K with HEVC/VP9 support and a faster processor. If you need that get the ultra.

Edited by speechles

EstebanUno

Only the Roku Ultra (most expensive) features an ethernet port. Firestick and Chromecast can connect via ethernet with an optional and cheap ethernet adapter. If your wifi is no good, ethernet is the answer.

I'd research the mpeg2 streaming abilities of the devices you consider since you watch a lot of that format. You already know from reading this thread that it sucks on Roku.

riverboat2001

Hi All.
In the end i went for the Roku Streaming Stick + , and I have to say so far it's absolutely fantastic. It's streaming everything I'm so pleased with it, there has been no buffering at all.
Time will tell, and I have a couple of questions, but I'll ask in the forum.

riverboat2001

That's great to hear! I guess the wifi was OK after all.

Yep, I ran a network test and it was streaming at 11mps. I've actually ordered another for another room.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk