Server on Shield TV

brianbsmith

brianbsmith

Here the the difficulties I’ve encountered on my 1st experience with Emby server on Shield TV.

@EMBY: please make the server available in the Google store. It’s not easy finding a way to download the package to Shield. I had to install multiple file Mgr apps before I found one that worked - via google drive. Couldn’t get various other methods to work. (Have an in progress Shield support case regarding their “Yransfer files over local network” feature)

The server does not boot after Shield reboot. You need to open the Server app and flick the switch. This is really annoying and should be a persistent setting.

Configuring a library on USB storage is difficult. Again you need a file Mgr app to create a folder. And it needs to be configured in 2 places: library settings and DVR settings. (This is not unique to Shield - but more difficult to trouble shoot than Windows or Linux)

It’s does not seem as reliable as my Windows server. For example, attempting to view previous recordings while another show is recording seems to interrupt/cancel the current recording. I have multiple recordings that are a partial segment of the full show. 4 mins of a 30 min show.

I just reinstalled and rebooted - hoping that might stabilize things. Also not going to view past recordings while actively recording to see if the problem goes away.

Basically - I want to use my Shield like a TiVo. But it’s requiring too much intervention out of the box.

FWIW

• Like 2

speedingcheetah

Cant speak for Emby Server on the Shield.....I only use it as a client and it has pausing/stuttering issues streaming Live TV for me, everything else works.

I don't like the idea of server is also on client idea. Always seems to me most stable and best performing to have a dedicated powerful enough computer or device to run as server.

Far as I can tell, the Shield is clearly optimized/designed for use with Plex server, as that is pre-installed.

Many many folks use the Shield since 2015 for Plex server and it is well rated and stable, from what i have read.

Never tried it my self...i don't really care for Plex.

As far as Live TV and DVR ability and experience alone, I find Channels DVR the best on Shield.

But it lack any form of "home media server" ability that Emby/Plex/Kodi offers.

But again, even that is best setup with a dedicated server device....

Edited by speedingcheetah
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

Here the the difficulties I’ve encountered on my 1st experience with Emby server on Shield TV.

@EMBY: please make the server available in the Google store. It’s not easy finding a way to download the package to Shield. I had to install multiple file Mgr apps before I found one that worked - via google drive. Couldn’t get various other methods to work. (Have an in progress Shield support case regarding their “Yransfer files over local network” feature)

The server does not boot after Shield reboot. You need to open the Server app and flick the switch. This is really annoying and should be a persistent setting.

Configuring a library on USB storage is difficult. Again you need a file Mgr app to create a folder. And it needs to be configured in 2 places: library settings and DVR settings. (This is not unique to Shield - but more difficult to trouble shoot than Windows or Linux)

It’s does not seem as reliable as my Windows server. For example, attempting to view previous recordings while another show is recording seems to interrupt/cancel the current recording. I have multiple recordings that are a partial segment of the full show. 4 mins of a 30 min show.

I just reinstalled and rebooted - hoping that might stabilize things. Also not going to view past recordings while actively recording to see if the problem goes away.

Basically - I want to use my Shield like a TiVo. But it’s requiring too much intervention out of the box.

FWIW

Most of your statements I have found to not be true....true, it's not a Emby App, it's a full-blown Emby Server but I have found it works quite well until you start adding a lot of tv channels and guide info. Emby itself is not quite ready for Live TV (IPTV) and this has already been addressed as a "future" update by @@Luke. "Side Loading" on the Shield is about a basic task as it gets, and the Server has always restarted for me on Power down/restart. I don't use TiVo, so I can't speak to how that App works.

Edited by EODCrafter

Hi, it is, once you flick the switch, just leave the switch on. Does this answer your question?

• 3 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

How is Emby Server on the Shield? I've wondered if I could simplify my system by moving from having the server on a Windows 10 PC to having it on my Shield? But the shield would then be both server and client. (Or I buy a second Shield specifically to be the server, which is doable, but seems counter to simplifying my setup.)

Presumably with the Shield as server, I'd no longer have to worry about problems of Windows randomly rebooting from some update. Then the PC would solely be for ripping media and copying data to storage.

Can I point a Shield server at my current Emby library storage and have it co-exist with the Windows server, to try it out?

Yes Emby Server works just fine on the Shield, and you could run it in conjunction with your windows server.

speedingcheetah

Presumably with the Shield as server, I'd no longer have to worry about problems of Windows randomly rebooting from some update. Then the PC would solely be for ripping media and copying data to storage.

or just use a Linux computer for the server.

The Shield can auto reboot itself for OS updates.

• 4 weeks later...
YankoValski

To add few things to the above I also use the server app on my Shield Pro TV.

I'm missing two things:

1. I can only shutdown the server from the dashboard. I'm missing the restart option.

2.  In the settings I'm missing whole Automatic Updates section so the below two options are not available for me:

- Enable automatic server updates

- Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates

Is it something I missed during the configuration or this is Shield server app thing?
Edited by YankoValski

• 2 weeks later...
JDizzy

Hello,

I have been configuring Emby on the 16GB model of the Sheld.

After getting everything loaded (metadata, etc), of course, I am running low on disk space. (850MB) left.

I must admit, the Shield UI is very snappy and quick and I am experiencing no problem with running Bluray video through it. (I don't use any transcoding)

Basically a server/client.

I read where Plex had added a feature a while back to allow you to move the cache, metadata, etc to attached storage thus freeing up space. It described it as being fairly seamless with only toggling it on and Plex then moving everything to attached storage which in my case would be a 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive.

Is there a way to do something like this in Emby, or would you consider adding such function?

In the meantime, any suggestions on what could be done (other then deleting apps) to allow more space? (can I manually move database, meta, etc to USB and point Emby to it?)

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and a restart option would be great from Dashboard!!

Edited by JDizzy

JDizzy

Why not extending the internal storage with this thumb drive?

I can do so but want control over what gets moved to thumb drive. Also wanted to see if Luke or EBR might have solutions.

If I could tell Emby to move the larger files over automagically, that would be best. Other than that, I could do it manually but that is a bit more involved and not

for the weak.

Thanks!

Edited by JDizzy

Hello,

I have been configuring Emby on the 16GB model of the Sheld.

After getting everything loaded (metadata, etc), of course, I am running low on disk space. (850MB) left.

I must admit, the Shield UI is very snappy and quick and I am experiencing no problem with running Bluray video through it. (I don't use any transcoding)

Basically a server/client.

I read where Plex had added a feature a while back to allow you to move the cache, metadata, etc to attached storage thus freeing up space. It described it as being fairly seamless with only toggling it on and Plex then moving everything to attached storage which in my case would be a 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive.

Is there a way to do something like this in Emby, or would you consider adding such function?

In the meantime, any suggestions on what could be done (other then deleting apps) to allow more space? (can I manually move database, meta, etc to USB and point Emby to it?)

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and a restart option would be great from Dashboard!!

Have you explored the options in server settings, such as customizing the server cache location?

JDizzy

Have you explored the options in server settings, such as customizing the server cache location?

I have not.

I can see the option but have scanned everything in already with the default location.

If I change location to usb can I rescan, or do I need to move files from default location to usb location and if so, which files?

Thanks

I have not.

I can see the option but have scanned everything in already with the default location.

If I change location to usb can I rescan, or do I need to move files from default location to usb location and if so, which files?

Thanks

Cache folder no need to do that. Metadata folder, yes i would suggest moving them when you customize that option.

JDizzy

Cache folder no need to do that. Metadata folder, yes i would suggest moving them when you customize that option.

Ok thanks...

I added the 128gb usb thumb and let the Shield move things as it wanted.

It ended up splitting the files 7gb internal and 7gb usb which freed up 7gb.

It appears I now have enough to run Emby comfortably (at least for the time being).

Before, it was starting to get fail messages during scans and I suspect it was due to lacking space for the expanding data/meta files.

Again, thanks and I will keep in mind moving metadata in future if needed. This is a nice addition to Emby server options!

JDizzy

One thing I have noticed (and it may be something I forgot to toggle or do) is that the backdrop files show up in the library.

Is there a way to tell Emby not to display the backdrops as if they were a regular movie? (I have hundreds showing up)

Probably because the Video Themes plugin is not supported (yet?)

Possibly an 'ignore' file in the folders that have the backdrop files might do?

Thanks

Edited by JDizzy

JDizzy

Have you checked your file naming on them compared to our naming guide?

Yeah.... the folders are named BACKDROPS

and the files theme.mp4

Weird thing is they don't show on any other Emby server I have, only the Shield and as mentioned I thought possibly because the Movie Themes plugin was not installed on server...

Just pulling at straws.

Thanks

How in the world di you guys get Emby Server app to install on your Shield? I tried the APK and it doesn't install.

Hi there @@Hamp001, what do you mean by "doesn't install"? What happens when you try to install?

EODCrafter

How in the world di you guys get Emby Server app to install on your Shield? I tried the APK and it doesn't install.

Select it ...install....you have to Navigate to it with a browser...192.168.1.?:8096

https://emby.media/server-android.html

Edited by EODCrafter