Hi,

These are my system specs:

Windows 10 PC
Intel Pentium G2030 3.00 Ghz CPU
Hdhomerun Connect Duo
Linksys WRT1900acs router with
a 1TB Seagate external hard drive
plugged into a USB 3.0 port

Are these good enough specs for me to sign up for Emby Premier and set up Live TV and a DVR??

Thanks

ProperlyFormattedDataFile

Will you need to transcode from MPEG2 to H.264 on the server for any of your clients?  I think that's likely going to be a sticking point, as according to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/74749/intel-pentium-processor-g2030-3m-cache-3-00-ghz.html there's no hardware video encoding on that particular chip.  You might be able to handle one transcode on that CPU on something like ultrafast settings or at lower resolution.

If you want to test it out, try encoding something to 20Mbps 1080i MPEG2 and see if you can stream it from your server.  That's about the top end of what you'll be getting from over the air broadcasts.  In terms of moving the bits from the hd homerun to your hard drive, I was surprised to learn that the WRT1900acs can handle 100MB/s writes to external storage, which is plenty.  You can use a transcoding buffer on the server itself to avoid extra I/O there.  Your CPU is unlikely to be a bottleneck for any I/O tasks.

Edit: clarified a few things.

Edited by ProperlyFormattedDataFile
  • Like 1