Green Pixelation?

ServerGuy

ServerGuy

Trying to view a 4k movie via the Roku app on the local network. As soon as the movie starts I see this but can hear the movie playing. I have pruned server and transcoding logs i can send via DM. Anyone have any ideas? Lesser formats play fine (e.g. 1080)

5dbde7a392a2f_800.jpg

Happy2Play

What hardware is the server installed on and do you have Hardware acceleration enabled?

Without logs the first guess would be hardware decoding.

ServerGuy

Hardware acceleration is enabled, to test i disabled it and tried to play the video again but with the same result.

Hardware is a Dell R720XD, no added video cards (I can send a hardware inventory if needed)

Ill shoot you the logs direct now.

Thanks!

I’ve seen similar issues on Samsung and LG when trying to DirectStream 4K content that can’t be DirectPlayed. Seems to be an issue with the way the segments are being split up by ffmpeg. Even if you try and play one of the segments in Windows from the transcoding folder on the server it will have the same problem. This has been raised before but obviously not resolved.

Does the server say it’s DirectStreaming?

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

ServerGuy

I’ve seen similar issues on Samsung and LG when trying to DirectStream 4K content that can’t be DirectPlayed. Seems to be an issue with the way the segments are being split up by ffmpeg. Even if you try and play one of the segments in Windows from the transcoding folder on the server it will have the same problem. This has been raised before but obviously not resolved.

Does the server say it’s DirectStreaming?

It does show direct during playback

Okay, just wanted to be sure it wasn't an issue of us sending 4k video to something that couldn't handle it.

You knew you were right. Why did you qualify your statement putting "probably" at the front? lol.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

This is indeed the issue.

@@ServerGuy Apologies. Please read/visit the thread quoted in this post by Doofus. This will answer your question as the same core cause happens on multiple platforms.
Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

You know what's really funny? I've been talking about this issue for a long time, and nobody paid attention. So I stopped bringing it up. I guess now that more people are using cheap HDR devices, it's become more noticeable.

You know what's really funny? I've been talking about this issue for a long time, and nobody paid attention. So I stopped bringing it up. I guess now that more people are using cheap HDR devices, it's become more noticeable.

Playback issues are #1 priority. Perhaps we may need an option to "Allow HEVC with HLS" in our playback settings on the Roku?

In the meantime you can solve this using the "Playback Correction" option from within the video player OSD gear/cog's playback menu. This will turn the remux into a full HEVC -> H264 transcode. This is the best we can do at the moment. 

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

Playback issues are #1 priority. Perhaps we may need an option to "Allow HEVC with HLS" in our playback settings on the Roku?

In the meantime you can solve this using the "Playback Correction" option from within the video player OSD gear/cog's playback menu. This will turn the remux into a full HEVC -> H264 transcode. This is the best we can do at the moment. 

Or simply choose an audio track that your device supports. Usually AC3.

Or simply choose an audio track that your device supports. Usually AC3.

In the absense of multiple audio tracks to get direct play to happen the "Playback Correction" option is your new best friend. It will of course force a full transcode but it can get playback to happen correctly hence the name it has for the functionality. It works when you just want to play something and not concerned that it direct plays or transcodes. You are just concerned with trouble-free playback. At those times "Playback Correction" is a very good friend indeed. Not enough people know it exists this is just me making noise and shaking tree branches letting users know to use it... lol. :)

Guest asrequested

In the absense of multiple audio tracks to get direct play to happen the "Playback Correction" option is your new best friend. It will of course force a full transcode but it can get playback to happen correctly hence the name it has for the functionality. It works when you just want to play something and not concerned that it direct plays or transcodes. You are just concerned with trouble-free playback. At those times "Playback Correction" is a very good friend indeed. Not enough people know it exists this is just me making noise and shaking tree branches letting users know to use it... lol. :)

The problem with that is most people experiencing this, are watching HDR media. So transcoding isn't an option.

@@softworkz I can give you a 60sec sample of a file if you want to look into this.  It's an issue when the file is segmented for streaming and it seems to only affect 4K HEVC/HDR files.  I don't know if there's anything that can be done about, but it seems to come up often enough as an issue on several platforms.

It appears to be an issue with the way the segments are being split up by ffmpeg.  Even if you try and play one of the segments in VLC in Windows from the transcoding-temp folder on the server it will show the same problem.

Edited by SamES

Guest asrequested

@@softworkz I can give you a 60sec sample of a file if you want to look into this. It's an issue when the file is segmented for streaming and it seems to only affect 4K HEVC/HDR files. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about, but it seems to come up often enough as an issue on several platforms.

It appears to be an issue with the way the segments are being split up by ffmpeg. Even if you try and play one of the segments in VLC in Windows from the transcoding-temp folder on the server it will show the same problem.

It affects more than that. If you read the thread I posted, you'll see that the container doesn't support HEVC. Try playing a 4k SDR 10bit video.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75688-4k-hevc-files-freeze-after-a-few-seconds/page-2&do=findComment&comment=767887

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75688-4k-hevc-files-freeze-after-a-few-seconds/page-3&do=findComment&comment=800172

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

ServerGuy

Playback correction does correct it, the main issue I'm having now is transcoding cant keep up, doesnt seem to be hardware related. Ill open a separate thread for it

OK, that's good info.  I do have 10-bit HEVC/HDR that DirectStream/remux without this issue, so it's not all 10-bit files.

Were' you able to confirm non-HEVC 10-bit files?  I can force that to remux as a test if you want, I've got several 10-bit x264 mkv's

Guest asrequested

OK, that's good info.  I do have 10-bit HEVC/HDR that DirectStream/remux without this issue, so it's not all 10-bit files.

Were' you able to confirm non-HEVC 10-bit files?  I can force that to remux as a test if you want, I've got several 10-bit x264 mkv's

I didn't get around to testing h264 10bit stuff, but I suspect it will probably be ok. Worth testing, though. All of my SDR HEVC 10 bit stuff exhibits the issue. 

All of my SDR HEVC 10 bit stuff exhibits the issue. 

The Roku does not support 10 bit SDR for "anything" h264/hevc/etc anymore. Only the older Broadcom boards Roku had did. This is the Roku3 and earlier.

All current MStar boards Roku uses do NOT support 10 bit SDR in any container/codec/fashion.

We may need to write the detection in the Roku app to glean off the fact the bit depth is related to HDR / DolbyVision / SDR . Right now it is NOT doing this check, It just throws all at the wall as in direct plays. Complete and full honesty here no punches pulled. 

@@Luke Does the server stash on a per item basis which color space the bit depth is tied to that apps can read? I can look into making this easier for us. :)

"VideoRange":"SDR"

interesting.. lets see what we can do with this thing. :)

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

The Roku does not support 10 bit SDR for "anything" h264/hevc/etc anymore. Only the older Broadcom boards Roku had did. This is the Roku3 and earlier.

All current MStar boards Roku uses do NOT support 10 bit SDR in any container/codec/fashion.

That sucks. But for the remux issue, once the transport container is updated, it should solve it. But I guess the server should be alerted that 10 bit SDR isn't supported. It's a pity, 10 bit stuff is nice. I have a lot of it.

That sucks. But for the remux issue, once the transport container is updated, it should solve it. But I guess the server should be alerted that 10 bit SDR isn't supported. It's a pity, 10 bit stuff is nice. I have a lot of it.

It is only on Roku that 10bit SDR in HEVC will transcode. They produce black screen otherwise. So now these will properly play to begin with. This will affect for the most part anime. Those groups usually use HEVC in 10bit SDR to gain a compression size advantage to sharing their subbing attempts along with synchronized video to go with them.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
roxerroneous

Hey Luke, I’m experiencing the same (or similar) issue.  It sounds like the HEVC issue that was suggested earlier.  Have there been any updates on the issue?  I can supply logs if it helps but it sounds like you’ve isolate the problem.