1080p video wrongly flagged as 720?

MyronAub

MyronAub

I've noticed that my FireTV box has a "720" flag/icon on some videos which are actually 1080p. Photo attached showing the "720" flag and "Video 1080p H264" for the same episode. (The actual resolution of the file is 1870 x 1080.)

I cannot be sure but I may have originally added a 1280x720 version of the episode and then around a month ago updated it to 1870x1080. Is this the cause of the discrepancy and if so how do I get Emby to recognise the resolution of the updated file?

post-373221-0-68746500-1572715148_thumb.jpg

Jdiesel

As videos can be cropped it is likely using the horizontal resolution rather than the vertical resolution to distinguish between 1080 and 720. A horizontal resolution of 1870 is less than 1920, where did you get the video?

We probably need to look at both directions (currently does just look at width) but is this a 4:3 video?

Happy2Play

There has been discussion on this before.  It is a matter of knowing the thresholds of Height and Width for what defines there resolution.  But is this just a "Indicator" issue or actual playback issue?

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest asrequested

I have that same show. It isn't 4:3, it's 16:9 and his file is 1870x1080 (1.73:1 not 1.77:1, as it should be), so I think it's been squished by 50 pixels. You can correct that with mkvtoolnix. But the resolution is always only the horizontal lines. That should be the only number, used.

5dbe61c0bdf70_proteus.jpg

Edited by Doofus

MyronAub

A horizontal resolution of 1870 is less than 1920, where did you get the video?

Ripped from Blu-ray and then compressed using Handbrake

We probably need to look at both directions (currently does just look at width) but is this a 4:3 video?

No, 16:9.

But is this just a "Indicator" issue or actual playback issue?

Just an indicator issue, video seems to play fine.

so I think it's been squished by 50 pixels. But the resolution is always only the horizontal lines. That should be the only number, used.

You're right, all but two of the episodes in the show are 1920x1080 but it looks like somehow Handbrake cropped two episodes to the same 1870x1080. I've vaguely noticed oddities before with Handbrake dimensions cropping, probably user error on my part if I've been transcoding multiple files from multiple shows a the same time and perhaps accidentally clicked the Cropping "Custom" radio button at some point. I'll re-rip the episodes today to be sure.

Edited by MyronAub