3.0.10 Audio

pgriffith

AdrianW

Didn't help, I was still getting audio dropouts. Also, the video/audio sync was drifting badly. Took me ages to get it back to normal, as the sync was going out even after removing the lines from the mpv.conf file (and restarting ET).

Seems like I'll have to stick with PCM audio. But, if I ever get an Atmos / dts:x capable receiver I'll want to get bitstreaming working properly again.

Guest asrequested

I'll take a closer look at this, today. It's an mpv issue. I'll see if I can define what's happening, and maybe make an issue report.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

There are some changes coming for AO buffers. I'm curious to see if it will help will this. I've been reading some reported issues and subsequent commits, around audio. It's giving me a few ideas....

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

If it works for you, let me know. The manual says to let the devs know if non-default settings make a difference. So I'll make report for them if it fixes it for you, too.

• Like 1

AdrianW

Yes, it seems to have worked. I watched about 80 minutes of TV episodes and the audio didn't drop once. I guess a full test would be a 2 hour movie, but that's not likely to happen before the weekend.

But, my most recent attempts at bitstreaming have all had dropouts within at most 30 minutes. So, it's looking good.

Thanks for figuring this out, Doofus.  :D

AdrianW

You may also want to try lowering the buffer to 1, and see how well that works.

Changed it to 1 and watched 90 minutes of shows without any dropouts :D

AdrianW

I would keep it there if it's working. Increasing the buffer can have adverse effects in other circumstances.

Watched some more last night and it was still OK. I'll leave it at 1.

• 1 month later...
MikeB111

Just wanted to add my comments to this thread also.  Since first installing Emby Theater in January I have been experiencing audio skips when watching both transcoded movies and recorded television.  It happens relatively infrequently, perhaps once or twice per show.  It's just for a split second, the audio will drop out and then pick right back up again.  If I immediately rewind the content and play through that section again it does not repeat so I'm certain it is not a problem with the content.  At once or twice through a program it is an annoyance that I can live with, although I'd love to see it get fixed.  And it is random, sometimes I'll watch a 2 hour movie with no skips, sometimes a 30 minute program will skip twice.

Perhaps another new bit of info to help in troubleshooting.  I have a four tuner hauppauge card for my over-the-air broadcast recordings.  Before the very recent update to Emby server I was unable to watch programs that were currently recording, but the latest server update to 4.4.1.0 has fixed this issue (which is awesome, thanks!).  But when I watch a program that is currently being recorded the audio skipping is severe.  The first program I watched would skip several times a minute, making it unwatchable.  I tried again last night and it was not as bad, but still a skip per minute maybe.  Not sure what the difference is, but once the program is finished recording I can watch it with the normal one or two skips per program.  So definitely different when currently recording.

My audio receiver is connected by optical S/PDIF (because the receiver is a little older and doesn't have HDMI inputs).  So I cannot rely on Emby to decode the audio, I must use passthrough to get surround sound.  (optical S/PDIF does not have the bandwidth for decoded multi-channel audio).

I did try adding the 1 second buffer last night and still experienced skips.  No apparent change in behavior due to the setting change.