New certified ATV in the mix

mastrmind11

Dibbes

Another remote with no Play/Pause button...??

Maybe no play/pause button, but I'm fairly sure the Emby experience will be better on it than on the Apple TV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

vdatanet

Maybe no play/pause button, but I'm fairly sure the Emby experience will be better on it than on the Apple TV...

Sure!

vdatanet

When available, I may take one for my parents. I like the S/PDIF output. They have an old AV receiver that works very well and only has S/PDIF inputs.

vdatanet

Oops, Netflix certification is missing and the Netflix app must be sideloaded. Bye, bye.

mastrmind11

Oops, Netflix certification is missing and the Netflix app must be sideloaded. Bye, bye.

oof, yeah that'll be a deal breaker for a lot of people.  Price point is a bit questionable too tbh.

Dibbes

I don't use Netflix, so definitely no issue for me... Besides, the Apple TV doesn't take up that much space at all, I could still have it next to it, just not as primary...

lightsout

I don't use Netflix, so definitely no issue for me... Besides, the Apple TV doesn't take up that much space at all, I could still have it next to it, just not as primary...

What would you gain?

Dibbes

What would you gain?

The Emby experience (and some other non-relevant issues to this forum when you only have some old iPads and iPhoneys left and no up to date Apple stuff) is not superb on an Apple TV... a cheap Android box might not be a bad thing to have...

If your question is what I would gain to keep the Apple TV? Nothing much, really... it's around, it doesn't draw much power, so why not keep it hooked up?

clarkss12

Minix makes good media players for local media, but not for streaming DRM'd media, like Netflix.  Of course Emby is only made for local media aggregation, not including live and recording TV.  All of my newer "cheap Chinese" boxes running any form of the ATV version of Android, plays Emby perfectly, albeit no HD audio.

I have found an inexpensive air mouse remote works great with any Android or PC.  I have dozens of different remotes, and I am impressed with this one, especially for $10 USD or less.  It uses a RF dongle, but also has 33 IR buttons that can be programmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GEc8EB0P_0&t=48s

lightsout

The Emby experience (and some other non-relevant issues to this forum when you only have some old iPads and iPhoneys left and no up to date Apple stuff) is not superb on an Apple TV... a cheap Android box might not be a bad thing to have...

If your question is what I would gain to keep the Apple TV? Nothing much, really... it's around, it doesn't draw much power, so why not keep it hooked up?

I meant if we're just talking Emby I thought the Apple TV experience was pretty good. But maybe I am wrong. I wouldn't know I use Emby on Android most of the time.

Dibbes

I meant if we're just talking Emby I thought the Apple TV experience was pretty good. But maybe I am wrong. I wouldn't know I use Emby on Android most of the time.

I think this says it all...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54018-appletv-4k-how-is-it-as-a-dedicated-emby-client/page-9&do=findComment&comment=801682

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the server side of things when it comes to movies and series... 

• Like 1

lightsout

I think this says it all...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54018-appletv-4k-how-is-it-as-a-dedicated-emby-client/page-9&do=findComment&comment=801682

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the server side of things when it comes to movies and series...

Oh wow that's too bad. Sounds like mrmc for the win with Emby at the back end.

I've had good success using Minix players with Emby, although I primarily use Kodi with the Emby for Kodi addon as my front-end. No issues with HD Audio too (I have to double check as the ones I have are mainly connected to TVs, not AVRs)

For my application, don't think I gain much with Google certification. So for those that just want to run Emby (or Emby via Kodi), try looking for the older U1 which can be bought for half the list price of the T5 (used)

Note I don't have a Netflix account so lack of HD on the Netflix app also isn't an issue with me