Using TMT 6 breaks MBC

cybrsage

cybrsage

I am running MBC 3.0.163.0 5-3.2 and TMT 6 (both the newest update and the one before it do the same thing).  I click Play and it launches the WMC version of TMT 6 just like it should.  Everything is fine until I hit stop.  The movie stops and I am brought to a blank WMC screen (has the default WMC light blue background but nothing on the screen).  A few moments later and I get an error that says MediaBrowser application no longer responding, please click OK to continue.  When I click OK it simply locks up WMC.  I literally have to open the control panel and force WMC to close in order to do anything at all.

Windows 7 x64 with all current updates

Windows Security Essentials - set to not scan my movie storage drives

AMD Richland APU with 8GB RAM

SSD for OS and programs

MBC 3.0.163.0 5-3.2 with all the default update selections - I also ran an update just now and it found nothing newer and have EHS turned off and am using the default interface

TMT 6.7.1.199 - although this also happened with the last TMT 6.6.x.x version

SlySoft AnyDVD HD 7.4.7.2 running all the time

I defaulted all the autoplay selections in Windows.

What else do you need from me - want me to look at.

Also, I do not have the new menu to setup the new MB internal player...

EDIT:  I have tested this with multiple BluRays.

Edited by cybrsage

I believe this is a problem with TMT6 and refresh rate switching and it is actually TMT6 or WMC that is crashing.

cybrsage

I do not have refresh rate switching turned on...or at least I did not turn it on.  I will double check it and let you know.

EDIT:  I have it unchecked.  I also tested just running it directly from TMT6 using the link inside WMC and when I press stop it returns normally.

Edited by cybrsage

The other thing to try is using the external player profile that doesn't use the special "internal" way of launching TMT.  That method was never officially supported by them and may also have problems in version 6.

cybrsage

Something must have borked up the MBC install.  I removed TMT6 and reinstalled WinDVD 11.6 and it does not work either - same issue.  WinDVD 11.6 has always worked (using the external player setup) so it not working now means the issue is that something broke.

I am uninstalling MBC and reinstalling it, hopefully it will work again.  If not, I have a backup from last week that worked.

Reinstall did not work, must have broken something in WMC.  Restoring from backup.

Edited by cybrsage

cybrsage

It worked until the latest updates downloaded for the server.  No idea why the server would make classic crash...was there also an update to classic recently?

cybrsage

Even my backup does not work with either WinDVD11.6 or TMT6  Any ideas on what I can do?  I can rip out MB completely and reinstall, but that is a pain in the butt to reconfigure everything again.

I am getting the "Program Not Responding" error whenever an external bluray player returns to MBC.  DVDs (using the internal WMC player) do not have this problem, they return to MBC without any issues.

I am now running the DEV revision of both MBC and MBS and they have the same issue.

Here is the windows event log, there are no entries in any of the MB logs:

The program ehshell.exe version 6.1.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

Edited by cybrsage

Can I see the entire event log entry?  As well as any close to it that look related.

From what you posted, it appears WMC itself is hanging up.

cybrsage

I just did a test and the event log item does not appear until after I use Task Manager to forcibly close WMC due to it being fully hung (I click OK to close the application when the error pops up in WMC and it just sits there forever).  Here is the exported event log item.  I did this a few times in a row and it is the only event log item that appears.

AppHang.zip

Yeah, that is generated by you forcibly closing it.

You are looking in the proper spot in the event log, right?  Under Applications and Services -> Windows Media Center.

Also, you've never posted a MBC log when this happens.  There could be clues in there.

cybrsage

OK...I am an idiot.  Logging was turned off in MBC.  I turned it on at debug level and am reproducing the error.  I will post logs after it fails, which will be in the next few minutes.  When I upload the new files I will delete the other ones.  There are no other errors in the Windows Event Viewer even close to the time frame of when the problem occurs - only the one from me forcing the application to close.

Here are all the log files with a time stamp around the time of the failure.

MBClassic-1062014dd0800d175864c7dbaf64d6cde27de2d.log

MBClassic-1062014de86cfd46bb74cb29a164ce8ea0f1e5f.log

server-63537990044.txt

server-63538000591.txt

Edited by cybrsage

cybrsage

Not sure if it is relevant, but after seeing the other thread where his MBC crashes with my same error (though his does when he launches a movie, mine does when I stop the movie) I thought I would add more info.  I have all my folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg files in the same folder as the movie.  I also only use MediaBrower's scraper to get actor, studio, and genre pictures - nothing else.  I use Media Center Master for the rest, since I can edit things directly inside the interface.

You know you can edit directly inside the MB interface too, right?  In the server dashboard, metadata manager.

No errors in our log and one of them doesn't appear to actually contain any playback.

I notice in the other, though, a couple things.

1) You are using ISOs.  Exactly how have you configured it to play those.  The only message I see from us is us attempting to mount the ISO.  What mounting tool do you have configured?  Are you using AutoPlay?

2) You have not defined your library with UNC paths or used the path substitution feature in the server.  I highly suggest you do that.

cybrsage

I am using SlySoft's VCD to mount the ISOs and have it defined in the MBC configurator.  I actually tried multiple ways of launching TMT6.

1. I reset the Windows Autoplay so there is nothing defined, nothing defined in the MBC configurator and autoplay unchecked.  WMC automatically launched the WMC version of TMT6.  Stopping playback causes MBC and WMC to crash.

2. I kept everything the same as in 1, but checked autoplay in MBC.  Same results as in 1.

3. I unchecked autoplay but manually configured an external player in MBC.  I tried it both as TMT5 WMC version and as undefined.  Same results as in 1.

4. I removed the external player from MBC and selected TMT6 in Windows Autoplay.  Same results as in 1.

5. I did the same for WinDVD 11.6 with the same results.

I have both MBS and MBC on the same machine and will not be installing any clients anywhere else.  I have a dedicated theater room with a projector, so watching films on anything smaller just seems to bland.  I can setup UNC paths or path substitution, but for what reason?  Everything is local, the storage drives are all in the HTPC where both MBS and MBC are located.  If you want me to use one of them, which do you recommend?.

Edited by cybrsage

cybrsage

You know you can edit directly inside the MB interface too, right?  In the server dashboard, metadata manager.

Actually, I did not.  Hmmm...I will have to take a look at that.  For now, I am going to stay simple until I get this problem figured out.  Once things are working, I am going to become a paid member.  You guys have a great product and it is worth giving you money to help keep it alive - once I am actually able to use it of course.  :)

Okay, I got a little confused because you said "same result as in 1" on all of those things you tried but the result of 1 was: " WMC automatically launched the WMC version of TMT6."

Isn't that what we're going for...?

If what you mean is all situations work properly for playback but still cause the crash upon exit and you don't have the refresh rate switching enabled then I am at a loss.  It could be a codec related issue I guess.  It appear that WMC is simply freezing up and it doesn't look like we are ever regaining control after playback.

cybrsage

Sorry to be unclear.  Yes, they all launched TMT6 (except for the WinDVD tests, which launched WinDVD).  All of the tests for both TMT and WinDVD caused the crash when I press Stop in the movie for TMT6 (which auto returns to WMC) or when I press the Green Button on my remote to return to WMC (for WinDVD which does not automatically return to WMC).  I will edit that post for clarity.

Refresh rate switching is turned off since all my display devices are 60Hz.  I will make sure I do not have any CODEC packs installed (after the wife is done watching some recorded TV).  If there are any, I will remove them - the only one I know which could possibly be installed is the Shark007 pack.  I know I had that on at one time, but I thought I removed it.

You are correct, it appears you are not regaining control after playback.  Would it help if I used your internal ISO launcher?  If so, how do I turn it on?

cybrsage

A couple of things I noticed.  First, I just updated to the latest MBC - just a few moments ago it popped up saying there was a new version.  I am accepting DEV versions right now while troubleshooting the issue.

The other is that I used Media Center Studio to remove the TMT6 WMC autolauncher and then setup MBC to use TMT6 as its external player.  WMC now says I must install a bluray player in order to play blurays.  I also tried checking the use autolauncher and then setup Windows Autolauncher to use TMT6, but it still says I do not have a bluray player.  It appears that nothing I do in MBC (with regards to what is used to play back the video) is actually being used.  As an aside, it did not crash when I clicked OK on that error message.

Edited by cybrsage

cybrsage

After I complete a backup of the current state, I am going to roll back to when I was using MB2.6 and see if that works.  If it does, I will install MB3 again and see if the problem persists.

I now have MB2.6 back up and running with TMT6 with no issues or problems.

Well, the root cause could be anything in the universe of things that have changed in the past two years so, I'm afraid, this may remain a mystery for a while.