Emby 4.2.1.0 metadata refresh on whole library

sheppy2000
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

sheppy2000

All my movies have a local NFO file but i've added a few things which were not scanned when i originally did my library setup (scan with Ember to create the local .nfo file) but even after reading a few previous posts regarding the subject i can't find a method of refreshing the metadata on the entire library in version 4.2.1.0. I can only find the option to do it on an individual file, via metadata manager page. Which works fine and the newly scanned bits appear. But i have a pretty large library so don't fancy doing them all individually. Something i'm missing???

Happy2Play

The Metadata Manager was changed awhile back and you can no longer Scan or edit the the Library folder via Metadata Manager.  But you can scan individual libraries via the Home Screen or Dashboard-Library

sheppy2000

hi there, have you explored the 3-dot menus in emby library setup?

I'm going to say yes, but i'm going to presume you refer to the option that appears on top of each entry in the library page for my 'Library'. Mine is made up from multiple drive shares so when i look at this page i have multiple library entries, each with a 3-dot option. The only option i can see that would point to refreshing the info is the Scan Library option but that doesn't seem to refresh any of the info for existing titles, just adds any new ones. 

5dbb2d96c2616_embymetadataquery.png

• Solution
Happy2Play

This will change slightly in 4.3.  But in 4.2 when you click library Scan Library you receive three options per a drop down box.  Same options on the Home Screen per library but called Refresh Metadata on the menu.

5dbb5fb72b35e_scan.jpg

• Like 1

sheppy2000

What happens when you click Scan library?

It scans the contents on whatever one i have clicked the 3-dot menu on, imports any new content i have added but does not refresh any already added titles even if the metadata/nfo file has definitely changed.

sheppy2000

This will change slightly in 4.3.  But in 4.2 when you click library Scan Library you receive three options per a drop down box.  Same options on the Home Screen per library but called Refresh Metadata on the menu.

5dbb5fb72b35e_scan.jpg

Thanks a million Happy2Play, can't think of why i missed that option when i initiated the 'Scan Library' option, 99% sure that wasn't there before ;-) Seems to work a treat now though and if i manually make a small change in any .NFO file in the library then run the scan it appears immediately. Thanks Luke also for pretty much the same advice which just didn't seem to be working for me.

Just for ref and anyone else who might come up against a similar issue i can do the same process now from following both thee routes below:

From the main Dashboard screen click either...

A:

Library then click the 3-dot menu option on the library entry i want to update and click Scan Library, then choose Scan for new and updated files

or B:

Click the Home button in the top right of the Dashboard screen, then click the 3-dot menu option on the library entry i want to update and choose Refresh Metadata and finally the Scan for new and updated files option.

Both option work a treat now.

Great work, thanks again guys much appreciated.

Scot

Edited by sheppy2000

• 6 months later...
tomlepk@gmail.com

Okay I checked everything.  Whenever I identify a movie, as soon as I refresh metadata or scan library it reverts back to the unknown movie.  I tried renaming the folder and file and still never saves.  Can you assist?
In particular, Boondock Saints II and Automata.  I started in the A's but there are more. the first Boondock Saints was fine, I tried 2 and II added year, still no luck. Also, it never creates a .nfo file.

--Thomas

Edited by tomlepk@gmail.com

Okay I checked everything.  Whenever I identify a movie, as soon as I refresh metadata or scan library it reverts back to the unknown movie.  I tried renaming the folder and file and still never saves.  Can you assist?

In particular, Boondock Saints II and Automata.  I started in the A's but there are more. the first Boondock Saints was fine, I tried 2 and II added year, still no luck. Also, it never creates a .nfo file.

--Thomas

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86867-refresh-metadata-or-scan-library/?view=findpost&p=889056

• 1 year later...
Trevor68

Has the above behaviour been altered in 4.6? I cannot find those dropdowns anywhere, all I get is a Scan Library button which does "something" when clicked? 

Happy2Play
57 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Has the above behaviour been altered in 4.6? I cannot find those dropdowns anywhere, all I get is a Scan Library button which does "something" when clicked? 

Yes things have changed and if you want to Refresh it is per library or using multi-select on the home screen selecting the libraries you want to Refresh.

image.thumb.png.95fbb8485fc91d4061cdad1c23e2924c.png

image.png