NVidia Shield 2019 TV or TV Pro

Ruato

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading from my TV's (Sony) internal Emby app to a NVidia Shield powered streaming. Has anyone bought the TV model and using it for the Emby app? I do not need to run the server in Shield nor I am not planning on playing any games etc. with the device. So, would the TV -version be enough for the Emby app or are the extra 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage needed?

Any info appreciated!

Hi.  This device is brand new so not a lot of experience with it.  For sure the storage won't matter and I'm guessing the RAM will be fine too.  The Mi has 2GB of RAM and performs just fine.

• Like 1

speedingcheetah

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading from my TV's (Sony) internal Emby app to a NVidia Shield powered streaming. Has anyone bought the TV model and using it for the Emby app? I do not need to run the server in Shield nor I am not planning on playing any games etc. with the device. So, would the TV -version be enough for the Emby app or are the extra 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage needed?

Any info appreciated!

Emby runs fine on either the 2017 or the new 2019 model.....with the exception of Live TV from my Prime Tuner. It stutters or pauses.

Been trying to get that sorted....but with not much luck. ( I had tried Emby on Roku and did not have that issue with Live TV, but instead, it locked tuners if u did not exit emby properly.)

Local file playback, even of DVR recordings, works great.

Have not tried the new stick/wand model....but far as I read, it the same hardware, just lower internal storage, and microSD card slot instead of USB.
Edited by speedingcheetah
  • Like 1

MagicDoubleM

Emby works fine, NVIDIAs Ai upscaling also works with Emby. DolbyVision isn't working with mp4-muxed content through Emby (yet?). I wouldn't pick the bigger version if it's just for Emby/Netflix and such (to be honest i wouldn't pick a Shield then).

It's a nice box, but nothing really exciting happened with this update. 

• 2 months later...

I just went through this.  I wanted to be able to use my harmony universal remote (which is IR) and the 2019 shields have no built-in infrared receiver.  That means using a USB infrared receiver, and only the Pro has USB ports.  If you are using the supplied remote or a hub-based harmony remote, you won't run into this issue.

speedingcheetah

I just went through this.  I wanted to be able to use my harmony universal remote (which is IR) and the 2019 shields have no built-in infrared receiver.  That means using a USB infrared receiver, and only the Pro has USB ports.  If you are using the supplied remote or a hub-based harmony remote, you won't run into this issue.

Hub based? how does that work with the Shield?  I looked up the Harmony hub and that appears to just use Google Assistant and a smartphone app to control things. U might as well just use the Shield app then. Or are you referring to a different product or setup?

The Shield remote is connected via Bluetooth on both models. The tube model, has no usb ports, true, but any bluetooth device will pair to it and can control it, like a mouse and keyboard.

You can use a IR remote with the Tube model fine, via a TVs built in IR. Via HDMI CEC control. My Vizio tv remote even controls the Shield. U can program any universal remote for your model TV and it should control the Shield fine, though, your experience may vary based on what tv you have. U may end up needing to manually IR learn program the remote for certain buttons. 

Guest asrequested

The harmony hub can link to the shield via Bluetooth. Then you get a harmony remote that pairs with the hub. Create the required activity, and enjoy.

FrostByte

I haven't found that to have an impact on actual use.

What about running Emby server?  I'm assuming that's the reason Plex doesn't come preinstalled on the tube version.  That and maybe the memory

What about running Emby server?  I'm assuming that's the reason Plex doesn't come preinstalled on the tube version.  That and maybe the memory

I'm talking about using it as an end device.  If you want to run the server on it, I'm sure the Pro will do better although I'm not sure if that means the other one can't.

...I do not need to run the server in Shield nor I am not planning on playing any games etc. with the device.

Hub based? how does that work with the Shield?  I looked up the Harmony hub and that appears to just use Google Assistant and a smartphone app to control things. U might as well just use the Shield app then. Or are you referring to a different product or setup?

The Shield remote is connected via Bluetooth on both models. The tube model, has no usb ports, true, but any bluetooth device will pair to it and can control it, like a mouse and keyboard.

You can use a IR remote with the Tube model fine, via a TVs built in IR. Via HDMI CEC control. My Vizio tv remote even controls the Shield. U can program any universal remote for your model TV and it should control the Shield fine, though, your experience may vary based on what tv you have. U may end up needing to manually IR learn program the remote for certain buttons. 

Harmony sells remotes that connect to the Harmony Hub.  Essentially, the remote sends a command to the hub, and then the hub sends the command to the component (via at least IR blasters, bluetooth, and/or IP).  My understanding is--as Doofus pointed out--that the Harmony Hub can be configured to control the shield easily through the Harmony software.  So if you have a hub-based harmony remote, you can set it up to control the Shield like a bluetooth remote.

You're correct that you can use HDMI CEC to control the Shield with an IR remote -- if you have compatible equipment.  Personally, I have a multi-room setup with an HDMI matrix switch, HDBaseT extenders, and multi-channel audio extractors all in my HDMI signal path, so CEC doesn't work for me -- I needed a direct IR option (which the FLIRC provides).

speedingcheetah

Harmony sells remotes that connect to the Harmony Hub.  Essentially, the remote sends a command to the hub, and then the hub sends the command to the component (via at least IR blasters, bluetooth, and/or IP).  My understanding is--as Doofus pointed out--that the Harmony Hub can be configured to control the shield easily through the Harmony software.  So if you have a hub-based harmony remote, you can set it up to control the Shield like a bluetooth remote.

You're correct that you can use HDMI CEC to control the Shield with an IR remote -- if you have compatible equipment.  Personally, I have a multi-room setup with an HDMI matrix switch, HDBaseT extenders, and multi-channel audio extractors all in my HDMI signal path, so CEC doesn't work for me -- I needed a direct IR option (which the FLIRC provides).

I would think that setup would add a good amount of latency/delay in the commands being enacted.  That also seems to be a very expensive way to get a third party remote on the Shield. Why don't folks just make a Bluetooth enabled media remote control???

When i use the IR remote of my tv with HDMI CEC this a a slight but noticeable delay, when compared to using the Shield remote directly.

I do have a first gen Flirc IR usb adpater I use on my desktop with a ir media remote, that has no delay on the PC.

I have used that on the Shield Pro i also have, with the same remote, and it does have a very slight delay as well, but not a bad as HDMI CEC IR control.

Kinda wish i had gotten the Pro model for use on my livingroom tv, cause then i could have used one of dozens of usb dongle media remotes u can find on ebay/amazon. I just got a Rii MX6 backlit remote which is exactly what i wanted, and is almost perfect. And cost $5.

• Like 1

SuissoNaBisso

Hey guys, so just got a Shield Pro yesterday. 

Last week I was doing some tests with guys on Discord bys haring with them my UHD library from my server to test playback on the Shield. Everything seemed to work well, no buffering, 4k resolution, True HD Atmos sound...awesome !

But yesterday I installed Emby on mine, set to max settings for the bandwidth etc...but UHD movies buffers a lot ! and also sometimes true HD sound is forced to transcode, "stats for nerds" says that the audio in not supported...

Is there some setting son Emby or on the Shield that I'm missing ?

Everything works fine on Plex in the same time...

Thanks 

speedingcheetah

Hey guys, so just got a Shield Pro yesterday. 

Last week I was doing some tests with guys on Discord bys haring with them my UHD library from my server to test playback on the Shield. Everything seemed to work well, no buffering, 4k resolution, True HD Atmos sound...awesome !

But yesterday I installed Emby on mine, set to max settings for the bandwidth etc...but UHD movies buffers a lot ! and also sometimes true HD sound is forced to transcode, "stats for nerds" says that the audio in not supported...

Is there some setting son Emby or on the Shield that I'm missing ?

Everything works fine on Plex in the same time...

Thanks 

Is the Shield hardwired Ethernet? I don't have a 4K display, so I assume it is downscaling on my end, but both my Shield pro and the tube model play UHD HEVC files smoothly from my Emby Server for me. U dont want to be using wifi for those....might be able to get away with 5ghz 80mhz connection perhaps.

What is the server computer/device you are using for the Emby server? Maybe u need to update the hardware drivers and check the hardware decode settings in Emby Server.

SuissoNaBisso

Is the Shield hardwired Ethernet? I don't have a 4K display, so I assume it is downscaling on my end, but both my Shield pro and the tube model play UHD HEVC files smoothly from my Emby Server for me. U dont want to be using wifi for those....might be able to get away with 5ghz 80mhz connection perhaps.

What is the server computer/device you are using for the Emby server? Maybe u need to update the hardware drivers and check the hardware decode settings in Emby Server.

So yes gigabit ethernet connection end to end. My server is a remote server based in a datacenter with gigabit connection too. And last week when I shared the library with someone to test, it was from the same server, same Shield, same gigabit connection....no transcoding should be involved actually as I have the capacity to direct play the movies !

FrostByte

I believe the app uses what the Shield says your audio system reported it can support found in the advanced audio settings. 

SuissoNaBisso

Hi. Can we please look at an example?  And also describe exactly what the Shield is connected to and how.

Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

Sure I'll try to reproduce as yesterday.

For the set up, this is the exact same on as I tested remotely with other user last week.

Shield is connected directly to a LG C9 TV (eARC model) then the TV is connected to a Samsung Q90R soundbar (supposed to be eARC). So for the other user, he well played movie Mad Max Fury Road with true HD ATmos soundtrack from Emby on the Shield. Sound well activated Atmos on the soundbar (however we don't know if lossless sound was sent to the soundbar or lossy version, maybe downgraded by the TV ?).

Using the exact same set up yesterday, the stats for nerds reported direct stream, due to unsupported audio, and I guess that due to this trasncoding the movie started to buffer a lot !

Will test again and post pictures of the stats etc...

Thanks

Sure I'll try to reproduce as yesterday.

For the set up, this is the exact same on as I tested remotely with other user last week.

Shield is connected directly to a LG C9 TV (eARC model) then the TV is connected to a Samsung Q90R soundbar (supposed to be eARC). So for the other user, he well played movie Mad Max Fury Road with true HD ATmos soundtrack from Emby on the Shield. Sound well activated Atmos on the soundbar (however we don't know if lossless sound was sent to the soundbar or lossy version, maybe downgraded by the TV ?).

Using the exact same set up yesterday, the stats for nerds reported direct stream, due to unsupported audio, and I guess that due to this trasncoding the movie started to buffer a lot !

Will test again and post pictures of the stats etc...

Thanks

Okay, please create a new thread with those logs etc. as opposed to it getting lost in this one.

Thanks.

FrostByte

You could try hooking the Shield directly to the soundbar and let the soundbar passthrough the video. 

My setup

Shield -> Samsung Q90R soundbar '> Samsung TV

I have no problems direct playing TrueHD Atmos and DTS-X