Unable to play new episode on Roku Emby Beta app

myriaxis
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

myriaxis

Hi,

I hope I post the problem on the right forum. If not let me know.

I recently moved my TV folder to a new external hard drive.

To do so, I first copied the entire TV folder to the new hard drive.

Then, on the Emby server TV library, I added the new TV folder and removed the old one.

Then I scanned the modified TV library with the new folder setup.

Then I deleted the old TV folder.

Everything seemed normal until I added new episodes.

When I add a new episode in the TV/TV Show/Season folder, Emby detects it, but when I try to play it with the Roku Emby Beta app I get an error.

The error says "There was an error processing the request. Please try again later".

On the server, via the Emby Home screen, the new episode shows in the Next Up section.

If I select it, the episode information is there and I can play it via the Web app.

One strange thing, in the More from season ... section, the episode is tagged as missing.

I include the emby server log.

Let me know waht to do next.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

Hi.  I would try doing a refresh on one of these at the Series level, let it finish and then try again.

myriaxis

Hi,

I just did a refesh metadata (without replacing images) at the series level.

Problem still there.

Also did a library scan.

Problem still there.

Any other ideas?

Since the problem occurred after moving my TV folder, is it possible the database still points to the old TV library path for missing episodes?

Or, do I have to set some windows security permissions on the new TV folder?

Happy2Play

If they play fine in the web client there shouldn't be a issue.  Have you tried restarting your Roku?

myriaxis

Yes multiple times.

Before the move, it was fine.

Something else I thought:

To change the folder in the library setup, I added the new folder and deleted the old folder.

Is there a setup that needs to be changed/reset to make it work?

The option "Display missing episodes within seasons" is not checked.

I can't remember if it was set or not for the old folder configuration.

Do I have have to enable it?

Try removing the folder from your library setup and letting a library scan finish.  Then re-add it and let another scan finish.

Yes, it does sound like somehow something is pointing to the wrong place.

Also, exactly what  folders were involved here (full paths)?

myriaxis

Well, sorry for the delay, I did that already.

I failed to mention that this is the second occurrence of the problem since I moved the files.

When I saw the problem the first time, I did what you suggested.

I moved all my TV Show new Season folders (i.e. all folders I added since the beginning of september, about 14 of them) out of the TV folder.

Then I performed all three scans (scan for new and updated files, dearch for missing metadata, replace all metadata) for the entire TV folder.

Then I forced a database vacuum.

Restarted the Emby server.

Did another library scan.

Then, when I moved the folders back in their places, the missing episodes were no longer missing and I could play them fine on Roku.

I thought I had fixed the database/library.

But when I added new episodes yesterday, the problem came back.

I can run this again and I'm fairly confident it will fix it ... temporarily.

These are the problematic folders:

K:\TV\Madam Secretary\Season 6

K:\TV\NCIS Los Angeles\Season 11

K:\TV\The Rookie\Season 2

K:\TV\Anne\Season 3

K:\TV\Star Wars Resistance\Season 2

K:\TV\Supergirl\Season 5

After adding any new episode that was previously listed as missing, you will need to also have a library scan run for the system to completely recognize that change.

myriaxis

Yes, I understand and i do that after adding new episodes.

The problem is that even with the scan, the episode is still shown as missing.

Happy2Play

Sounds like the issue many users are having with the "Display missing episodes within seasons" (user preferences-Display).  If you disabled this option do the episode display properly and play when added?

Is it just the Roku that show these new episodes as Missing or does the web client show them missing also?

myriaxis

Thanks for the info.

I added the new TV folder and deleted the old one in the Server/Library/TV settings.

The option "Display missing episodes within seasons" is not checked in the new TV folder setup.

But this option was most probably enabled in the old TV folder settings since it is set in my user preferences display.

So I'll rescan the TV folder with the option "Display missing episodes within seasons" enabled on the server side and see what happens.

The new episodes are also missing in the web client.

Happy2Play

Thanks for the info.

I added the new TV folder and deleted the old one in the Server/Library/TV settings.

The option "Display missing episodes within seasons" is not checked in the new TV folder setup.

But this option was most probably enabled in the old TV folder settings since it is set in my user preferences display.

So I'll rescan the TV folder with the option "Display missing episodes within seasons" enabled on the server side and see what happens.

The new episodes are also missing in the web client.

There are two separate setting.  The library setting will import all the series information into the database (virtual and real).  While the User preference-Display will show those missing items in the UI.

If you disable the User preference (user icon)-Display setting does the UI show the episode present in the web client?

Right you can't play a missing episode. If you try to do that you almost certainly will see an error.

Has this helped?

myriaxis

Sorry for the radio silence,

I figured that I messed up my database/library when I replaced the TV folder without enabling the option "Display missing episodes within seasons" in the TV folder settings since it was enabled in the user/display setting.

I'm in the process of rescanning the TV folder.

I'll let you know if I fixed it.

Thanks for all your help.

myriaxis

Well ... after a lenghty process interrupted by Halloween and an unexpected detour by the emergency room ... I didn't manage to fix the problem.

I created the problem after moving the TV folder.

For a few days, the option "Display missing episodes within seasons" was set in the user setting but not on the TV folder.

During this time, I added a few episodes to different series.

My understanding of the problem is that the user side had already identified these episodes as missing and since the folder side didn't report these episodes no longer missing, hence the mismatch.

I thought I could fix the issue with the following procedure:

1. Enable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on the folder side (the user side is already enabled)

2. Scan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

3. Restart Emby and force a database vacuum

4. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

5. It didn't work.

6. Disable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on the user side but keeping the folder side enabled

7. Scan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

8. Restart Emby and force a database vacuum

9. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

10. Enable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on the user side (the folder side is already enabled)

11. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

12. It didn't work.

13. Disable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on both the user side and folder side

14. Scan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

15. Restart Emby and force a database vacuum

16. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

17. Enable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on the folder side keeping the user side disabled

18. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

19. Enable "Display missing episodes within seasons" on the user side

20. Rescan the TV folder 3 times: scan for new and updated files, search for missing metadata, replace all metadata

21. It didn't work.

I understand that some/maybe most of the steps are unnecessary, but I didn't want to take any chances.
Now, the option "Display missing episodes within seasons" is disabled on both the user side and folder side.
It would be nice to have it enabled, but I'm not sure how to proceed next.

Thanks for your help.

There is a way to fix this once we know there is an error we kinda know why because it is usually caused by this.

This will only happen with TV episodes and it is because of how the queue mechanism works for episodes. You can play them in binge-mode and it plays them in a row. Because of this when the queue mechanism sees a virtual episode it will stop at that point. This basically returns an empty queue. Because the new item you add still has a missing virtual episode.  You add s01e13 but it still shows s01e13 as missing with a vitrual episode. In the seasons row it only shows the missing episode. Not the one you just added and the server added. This is because the server has not fully ingested the change. It is pending until you run a scan library. The scan library task will remove the missing virtual episodes no longer needed because you now have the real episode. While pending it is still possible to play the item from the "Episodes" tab of the TV view. But it will throw that error.

The way to solve this is "Scan Library" on the dashboard. Do not scan for new metadata or images. That isn't what causes it. Sorry you were confused on that.

When you scan library it will remove the virtual episodes that are marked as missing if you have that episode. So this fixes the queue mechanism on the Roku and now it actually has items it can play and does not throw that error.

I will look into what I can do to alleviate that issue so that new items are playable immediately without need to scan library.

I know how to make those items play. I know when that error pops up what happened and can then default to play another way without the queue mechanism. A sort of fallback for playing episodes. If it cannot play using its normal queue method and gets fed an empty queue it will then play that episode singularly instead and assume it is having a virtual episode conflict.

I have some other things to do but I will make it a point to spend time on this today and get it solved. It annoys me too when I cannot play new items on my Roku until I scan my entire library. It frustrates me to no end. It deserves some time spent to alleviate and remove that pain point. It has hurt me enough.. lol. It is time to fight back.

Expect something to fix this. Expect it will be making its way into the Roku app shortly. You shall not live in pain much longer. Relief is on the way.

Reference: Issue #654: [ IN PROGRESS ] Allow fallback for playing episodes that may have virtual episodes 

Edited by speechles

myriaxis

Thanks speechles, a quick question:

For the library scan, I used the TV Folder scan option (Dashboard/Server/Library/TV Folder/.../Scan Library).

Is it a different library scan than a Scan Media Library (Dashboard/Expert/Scheduled Tasks/Scan Media Library)?

If they are the same, then a library scan doesn't seem to fix the mismatch ...

Thanks speechles, a quick question:

For the library scan, I used the TV Folder scan option (Dashboard/Server/Library/TV Folder/.../Scan Library).

Is it a different library scan than a Scan Media Library (Dashboard/Expert/Scheduled Tasks/Scan Media Library)?

If they are the same, then a library scan doesn't seem to fix the mismatch ...

From the scheduled tasks it should fix it. Once it fully scans that should make new episodes thusly playable.

I am going to fix this. But if this fix doesn't also fix it for you after I have made this we can still fix it further. We can have multiple avenues to fallback into. I just need to know what causes your original problem.

Is it possible after you have one of or two of these failures you can send a log from the app? 

To do this you need to enable debug in the settings of the app. Then exit the app. Now restart the app and it is in debug mode. Once it starts reproduce the playback error. Perhaps a couple times. If you have different items that exhibit the same problem use different items not the same over and over. Once you do this go to the homescreen. Find the Send Logs button at the bottom row of the homescreen. Once you send the log if you can mention it in this thread. Along with the user used to send the log and what time the log was sent. Thanks.

MAKE SURE to disable debug once you have sent us the log. Debug logging incurs a huge(at least 250milliseconds which in computer time is HUGE) time penalty having to log everything to a text file internally on the Roku. When running in debug mode things are slower because of this. You don't want debug on unless absolutely necessary as it only slows everything down.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Haven't done any direct testing of this issue in the Roku, but the issue should be the same as the web client.  The new episodes are picked up by real-time monitoring but the virtual episode is not removed until the Series is updated via a Library scan.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54830-solved-show-missing-episodes/?p=531962

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78857-adding-missing-episodes-display-error/?hl=missing

myriaxis

So, a library scan from the TV Folder scan option (Dashboard/Server/Library/TV Folder/.../Scan Library) is not the same as a libray scan from the Scheduled Task (Dashboard/Expert/Scheduled Tasks/Scan Media Library)?

Happy2Play

So, a library scan from the TV Folder scan option (Dashboard/Server/Library/TV Folder/.../Scan Library) is not the same as a libray scan from the Scheduled Task (Dashboard/Expert/Scheduled Tasks/Scan Media Library)?

One is scanning one library and the other is scanning all libraries.

myriaxis

OK, So if I do a library scan via the TV folder option, it has the same effects for the TV library as if I did the scan from Scheduled Tasks. Right?

Also, I just did a quick test.

I forced a Scheduled Task Library scan.

I enabled the "Display missing episodes within seasons" in the TV Folder settings.

I forced again a Scheduled Task Library scan.

I enabled the "Display missing episodes within seasons" in the user settings.

I forced once again a Scheduled Task Library scan.

Here is a screenshot (This is us - not ok.png) of the next episode of This Is Us.
Episode 6 is shown as missing and played at the same time.
Episode 7 is the next in line, but shown as missing.

5dc4c0994e2fb_Thisisusnotok.png

Then

I disabled the "Display missing episodes within seasons" in the user settings.

I forced a Scheduled Task Library scan.

Here is a new screenshot (This is us - ok.png) of the next episode of This Is Us.

5dc4c0ae9c143_Thisisusok.png

I haven't checked the Roku side.

Happy2Play

You will need to post your server log, but for some reason your virtual episode item don't appear to be updating and being removed.  But as I posted in the other two topics they are being removed for me on my Windows systems, dependant of the scan.

Edited by Happy2Play