Easiest way to migrate to new HD

sundevil67

sundevil67

@@Happy2Play

I currently store my media library on an external USB HD and I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new drive with more space. I've downloaded/installed the Backup & Restore plugin, but before I move forward I wanted to see if there were any recommendations for the most painless way to move everything over. Of course I'm hoping to avoid having to recreate any user accounts and would like to retain all metadata. I don't want to make any changes to the setup; just want to move everything to the new drive. Should I use the plugin or just format the new drive to have the same name as the old one to keep all paths intact & copy all of the data. Would that be expected to work?

Thanks.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

I currently store my media library on an external USB HD and I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new drive with more space. I've downloaded/installed the Backup & Restore plugin, but before I move forward I wanted to see if there were any recommendations for the most painless way to move everything over. Of course I'm hoping to avoid having to recreate any user accounts and would like to retain all metadata. I don't want to make any changes to the setup; just want to move everything to the new drive. Should I use the plugin or just format the new drive to have the same name as the old one to keep all paths intact & copy all of the data. Would that be expected to work?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are just upgrading your media drive so the plug is not needed since you are not changing your OS drive where Emby is installed.

I am not familiar with how MacOS handle libraries and there paths, but you will need to ensure your library folder paths remain the same.  If the path changes in any way Emby will basically dump your libraries because they no longer exist.

Edited by Happy2Play

sundevil67

Sure, thanks....Still waiting for the new drive to arrive, but there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to just copy everything over & rename the drive to the same thing it always was...if that'll keep everything intact, then all is well. I'll likely use Carbon Cloner to just duplicate the existing drive & 'restore' it when the new one arrives. Thanks again.

mrfragger

What works for me when changing a path to a library is the following: (I’m on Mac OS Catalina btw.)

- copy the movie or tv series to their new directories

- In the existing libraries add the new paths

- let it finish scanning the libraries.

- then delete the older paths in the libraries

- then delete the old directories on your harddisk (you don’t need to wait for it to finish its library scan)

Doing this prevents Emby from losing metadata or identifying info for the movies and tv shows in my experience.

• Like 1

sundevil67

I tried this last option 1st because it seemed like the safe way to go (adding new paths to existing libraries that point to the new drive after cloning it), but that just created duplicate versions of each item & many had lost their 'identification', so it looked like there was going to be a lot of extra work ahead of me. I scrapped that plan & just renamed the new drive to the same as the old one, and that seems to have worked flawlessly. Now all I have to do is fill up 6TB worth of HD space! Thanks.

sundevil67

Turns out there's just one hiccup. The content I've added since isn't showing up in my library until I 'scan library files' for the corresponding folder. This happened automatically with the previous hard drive. I formatted it the same way Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Is it possible the source of the problem is the permissions for 'everyone' on the new drive are read only, while the old drive is 'read & write'? 

sundevil67

Nothing wrong with it...just given the option not to have to do it at all & be able to just switch to the new drive with everything intact is preferable