Pixelation and Glitching in Recorded TV using Emby DVR

EmbyKiwi
Go to solution Solved by EmbyKiwi,

dougward

Can post where you live at city and country and what are current antenna spec a photo would be nice if no photo do have an indoor or out door and where is it placement.

I am fairly certain it is not the signal quality, please see previous posts.  I am in IL and I have two ClearStream 2MAX mounted outside at about 12 and 15 feet pointed in the directions of the towers for the major networks.  They are about three feet apart based on other info I found.  They are combined with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F48A78M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The issue does not exist when watching live TV or when watching a recording after it has finished recording.

Edited by dougward

EmbyKiwi

@@dougward

4.3.1.0 still had an issue. It took me a couple of attempts to go back to that version and I only really did a quick test but seemed to still be there. I started recording a show, waited 10 minutes then started playing from beginning, skipped forward and, sure enough, pixelation starts at the 10 minute or so mark where I started skipping forwards.   It is pretty easy to replicate unfortunately. And certainly in my experience, the issues are in the recorded file consistent with your experiences last night.

SHSPVR

I am fairly certain it is not the signal quality, please see previous posts.  I am in Champaign IL and I have two ClearStream 2MAX mounted outside at about 12 and 15 feet pointed in the directions of the towers for the major networks.  They are about three feet apart based on other info I found.  They are combined with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F48A78M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The issue does not exist when watching live TV or when watching a recording after it has finished recording.

Have download CrystalDiskInfo just to besure your not seeing any caution status

x0lliex

Exact same issue I posted about a while back. Not signal related (never signal issues with other apps or when watching live), not storage speed related (nvme storage on a machine only used for emby), clearly it must be something to do with the emby server on windows. It seems to be worse on the new server release, but it was still there on 4.3.x.x

I am fairly certain it is not the signal quality, please see previous posts.  I am in Champaign IL and I have two ClearStream 2MAX mounted outside at about 12 and 15 feet pointed in the directions of the towers for the major networks.  They are about three feet apart based on other info I found.  They are combined with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F48A78M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The issue does not exist when watching live TV or when watching a recording after it has finished recording.

Spaceboy

Exact same issue I posted about a while back. Not signal related (never signal issues with other apps or when watching live), not storage speed related (nvme storage on a machine only used for emby), clearly it must be something to do with the emby server on windows. It seems to be worse on the new server release, but it was still there on 4.3.x.x

but also it has to be something specific to your setups because not everyone sees this

Spaceboy

Windows, live tv transcoding temp folder on an ssd. Nothing else special about my setup really. Decent cpu and ram

EmbyKiwi

Thanks. From earlier posts I seem to remember you had a Core i7 and 32GB RAM so perhaps the Windows server just needs more CPU/RAM than the Linux version?

maegibbons

Thanks. From earlier posts I seem to remember you had a Core i7 and 32GB RAM so perhaps the Windows server just needs more CPU/RAM than the Linux version?

I have only got 16Gb and most of that is untouched by emby. I do not think quantity of RAM is a factor.

I have only seen it once or twice. So i believe it is a load issue but where within the system I have no clue.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

EmbyKiwi

@@maegibbons

From your earlier comments...

"Mine is an i7-8750H Laptop with 16Gb and GTX1060 GPU so pretty beefy.

It sounds like a performance issue under windows which is why I do not see it much."

... I assumed you were not using Windows for your server??  Is this not correct?

PenkethBoy

works fine on a low end celeron N3150 on my Nas - no pixelation

saving to a raid5

maegibbons

@@maegibbons

From your earlier comments...

"Mine is an i7-8750H Laptop with 16Gb and GTX1060 GPU so pretty beefy.

It sounds like a performance issue under windows which is why I do not see it much."

... I assumed you were not using Windows for your server?? Is this not correct?

No. I am windows 10

Krs

Mark

EmbyKiwi

@@maegibbons

Darn! If you are running Windows 10 then the main difference between your config and mine is a modern laptop Core i7 vs a modern desktop Core i5. Otherwise, I'm running 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 GPU and separate SSDs for recording and OS/Transcoding. so pretty similar. Is it possible that the UK FTA TV is encoded differently or with different audio codecs and that is part of the difference? Are you on Windows 10 Home or Pro?

I've had a look at docker to see if moving to a linux install resolves it (as others seem to have had success with this)  but it is more complicated to get going than I was expecting so will take a bit more learning to test that out.

EmbyKiwi

@@PenkethBoy

Thanks for that. Some configs seem to work fine and others not. Which NAS are you running? I was able to see the same issues with my Synology DS418play.

aja07

Less than 1 yr old W10 64bit, Intel i5 8500, 16Gb ram, SSD C: drive, only thing running is Emby server and I have 2 ATV clients, a Shield and a Mibox.

I have the exact same issue which seems to have gotten worse since the last server upgrade.

I do not see it as a load issue since Live TV and recorded TV always Direct stream, I think due to container.  Video direct plays and audio seems to direct play but not sure.

I would say this is not isolated, I now just choose to avoid (if possible) playing any active recordings.

PS Australian TV

Edited by aja07

PenkethBoy

@@PenkethBoy

Thanks for that. Some configs seem to work fine and others not. Which NAS are you running? I was able to see the same issues with my Synology DS418play.

QNAP 

EmbyKiwi

Cheers @@aja07

Your config is similar to mine and having the same issue. It seems as though most people who aren't having issues are NOT running Windows, or are running Windows on a Core i7 with at least 16GB RAM. Also UK TV may possibly be less of a problem based on @@maegibbons and @@PenkethBoy??

@@dranderson402 moved to Unraid and a Corei7 and his problems seem to have gone away compared with Core i5 on Windows 10.

Maybe there is something weird about the FTA  down under! :-)

PenkethBoy

Recording livetv is not a cpu intensive task on windows or linux - i can record multiple streams at the same time and server may use 1-2% cpu - i can also convert these as they finish so could say have 3 transcodes running while the other three are still recording or even 5 and 1 recording on an i7 with the recordings all fine no issues

so unless you server is very low power and other things are happening in emby or on the emby server when recording tv

doubt cpu is the bottleneck/issue

its not obvious why watching an inprogress recording would affect the stream being recorded - unless emby stream sharing is causing the glitch.

EmbyKiwi

@@PenkethBoy

I agree that recording Live TV shouldn't be CPU intensive at all. I've certainly never seen high CPU usage while recording or playing back. And to be fair... just recording TV works just fine as long as you don't start watching it and skipping forward in the stream. My old Mediaportal server has a far less powerful CPU and only 4GB RAM and yet was/is able to cope with multiple streams concurrently and watching any of them at the same time as they were recording. I suspect that the big difference was that the client was a Windows device and it was responsible for any transcoding or playback management whereas the Emby server is much more involved if the client doesn't know how to cope with either the video/audio codecs etc. 

I'm just trying to understand what is different about the setup of those who are having the issue and those who aren't.  

By the way, what video and audio codecs are used for FTA TV transmitted in the UK?

EmbyKiwi

@@Spaceboy

Interesting... @@maegibbons commented earlier:

"Ok so in .86 there is a significant improvement that fully recorded AAC_LATM recordings will now play direct.

There is still an issue with playing in progress recordings. Especially when resuming in progress recordings with this codec as currently it is remuxed. @ebr is trying to rectify this but it needs a server change which is down to @Luke.
I am hopeful that once that change is made that playing in progress recordings will be much improved."

I am on DVBT and mainly AAC-LATM so perhaps that fact that you are on AAC via DVBS is a factor in your success? I wonder if PenkethBoy is also DVBS and therefore AAC?

maegibbons

@@EmbyKiwi

Have you not got any old hardware that you could through ubuntu on and test Linux version with your tuners?

Krs

Mark

PenkethBoy

How about you post a server log - with a recording in progress and you then trying to access it

as without any data we are just guessing why you get problems and going in circles