New 2019 Shield Pro

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

Is it worth picking up the new Shield Pro? Or better getting a used 2017 model as the prices now fall?

I'm also assuming here that the new tube version doesn't have enough RAM to run an Emby server?

Jdiesel

Is it worth picking up the new Shield Pro? Or better getting a used 2017 model as the prices now fall?

I'm also assuming here that the new tube version doesn't have enough RAM to run an Emby server?

Someone will have to test and see. Plex server was removed as a default app on the new Shield TV tube and only exists on the Pro version. It could be a ram limitation or it could be product segmentation to push buyers to the more expensive pro version.

Jdiesel

If you don't need Dolby Vision I see little reason to get the new version if you can get a good deal on a used first or second gen. If the price is close definitely go with the new one just to be a little more future proofed.

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I assume it won't work with display rate/resolution switching enabled in Emby and the Shield's system resolution will be need to be set to the display's native resolution to take advantage of it. If that turns out to be the case it may require an "option" to only switch between refreshrates and not resolutions to take advantage of both benefits.  

I assume it won't work with display rate/resolution switching enabled in Emby and the Shield's system resolution will be need to be set to the display's native resolution to take advantage of it. If that turns out to be the case it may require an "option" to only switch between refreshrates and not resolutions to take advantage of both benefits.  

Not really sure what you mean there by "won't work".

I doubt the Shield's upscaling will be better than your TV's (which is built specifically for your exact panel) so, if you have the auto switching feature enabled and play something that is 1080 then your TV will still do the same upscaling it does now.

However, if this new Shield upscaling is nearly as good as your TV's, then it does mean you could set the device to 4K and then not have to use the auto switching feature to switch to that for 4K content.

Jdiesel

I just mean that resolution and refreshrate are independent settings, is that still the case? I can't remember.

That way you can set your system resolution to 2160p59 and benefit from the new upscaler but still switched between other refresh rates (2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, etc) your display supports. Otherwise Emby will just switch to the native file resolution and your display will doing the scaling. I think both options are necessary and only time will tell if the new Nvidia scaling is worth it or a gimmick. 

It is a combined setting because that's how it actually is on the device as well.  If you go into the display mode menu on the Shield itself, it will list all the modes as combinations of resolution and rate.

I think attempting to separate these two things in our settings (while may appear to make sense) would likely lead to more confusion than it is really worth.

• 2 weeks later...
MagicDoubleM

Emby works, AI-Upscaling works (and looks mostly good). I have to play around with it a little more, but on a 4k-TV you get sharper detail with HD-content here and there, up to the level that it's obvious to someone "who doesn't know". Mid-setting (default) seems to be the one you can leave on, as long as you feed it with good quality HD. Don't expect that "Ai" doing wonders to bad quality content. It's best with FullHD on a 4k-TV and shines with scenes where there are slow/non-moving subjects. Nice to have, but not a killer feature imho.

DolbyVision works with official samples on Emby, but not with the stuff that is created with that Dolby MP4-muxer. But you can watch Netflix in DolbyVision, so it's on par with current FireTV4k and FireTVCube.

• Like 1

a5ian300zx

noticed a issue with emby player.

I have a emby server and use the new shield on the same local network.

Now when I tested a file with the following resolution and frame rate: 1080p 24 fps (23.978)

If I have enable refresh rate match under settings than the AI scaling does NOT work but plays the file perfect.

If I disable the enable refresh rate and play the same file then AI scaling works but upscales to 2160p 60hz and drops a frame every x amount of minutes.

The same file on my plex player using my plex server which is hosted on the same platform as the emby server (nas) works fine even when enable frame rate match is on it activates the AI scaling.

emby server is on qnap (i7 /16gb ram) nas running latest server version and player on shield

I noticed the player on the shield said it was expired even though that is the latest available version to download.

Hopefully we can get the issue fixed with emby.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

a5ian300zx

Ok did some some more testing using stats for nerds on emby.

The file is actually a 1080p/23.98p..

Enable refresh rate switching on then the output is 1080p/23.98p and AI scaling is Not active using direct play.

Enable refresh rate switching off it outputs it to 2160p/59.94. With AI scaling active using direct play.

With it switched off I noticed a drop in frame every x amount of time. If I had a hd fury then I can see extactly what's being output as opposed to the stats given.

Emby server: 4.2.1

Player: 1.7.54g

"Refresh rate switching" is actually "Display mode switching" in our app.  So, it chooses the entire display mode (including resolution) that most closely matches the source.

This is far preferable in most situations because your TV panel is probably much better at upscaling than the Android device.  Even though the Shield has improvements here, do you really feel it does a better job than your native panel?

• Like 2

MagicDoubleM

"Refresh rate switching" is actually "Display mode switching" in our app.  So, it chooses the entire display mode (including resolution) that most closely matches the source.

This is far preferable in most situations because your TV panel is probably much better at upscaling than the Android device.  Even though the Shield has improvements here, do you really feel it does a better job than your native panel?

I wouldn't think of that as a rule anymore, in my case the Shield's AI-upscaling beats my TV (LG B8-series OLED) and it will probably get further improved over time. Maybe others will introduce similar features. Doing that stuff as early as possible in the chain, especially on the device that decodes the video-data, has advantages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
trott90

We may have to introduce a secondary option of whether or not to adhere to resolution.

it will be great to have sperate control on resolution and Refresh rate

• Like 1

a5ian300zx

"Refresh rate switching" is actually "Display mode switching" in our app. So, it chooses the entire display mode (including resolution) that most closely matches the source.

This is far preferable in most situations because your TV panel is probably much better at upscaling than the Android device. Even though the Shield has improvements here, do you really feel it does a better job than your native panel?

Hi,

Where is this option I can't see it in the Emby app?

Yes, the AI upscaling is far superior and one of the main selling points on the shield.

For comparison plex does not suffer from this issue.

Thanks