Don't show OSD at start of playback

crusher11

crusher11

Currently when starting a movie, or when pressing play when a movie is paused, the OSD pops up. It's just getting in the way of what I'm trying to watch. Popping up automatically on pause isn't a huge deal as you can wait for it to go away if you're trying to see something at the bottom of the screen, but this isn't an option at the start of playback.

• Like 5

darkassassin07

I agree. It's not necessary to display the OSD at the beginning of playback, and on the xbox one client specifically I've had issues where the OSD doesn't fade at all until you move the cursor at least once. That last part makes starting playback via a remote client pointless as you have to pick up the xbox controller anyway to get the OSD to fade.

• Like 1

daedalus

sure, it's kind a useless, cause you know what you just started to play and offers no additional informations

as i don't expect the devs implementing any logic on this

if this gets applied, consider to make it appear on shuffle / playlist playback, cause there it's useful to show what's playing now eg after skipping or in case you disabled the "next up" info box

Hi.  We've actually already made the decision to do this and it is implemented in Android TV.  What app is still doing it?

• Like 2

FrostByte

Samsung, Xbox, etc, etc.  Like said I think all ET apps the way it sounds.  It's really kind of annoying when first starting playback.  Not needed, and only a click away if for some odd reason you need it right away

• Like 1

K1ng_Lear

I like the OSD feature and would love it so see it more often when I pause a stream. But I also understand your request, so please, if it would be implemented make it optional, so everyone can decide the behaviour by himself.

Thx

I like the OSD feature and would love it so see it more often when I pause a stream. But I also understand your request, so please, if it would be implemented make it optional, so everyone can decide the behaviour by himself.

Thx

All you need to do to produce it yourself is hit a single key.

• Like 1

K1ng_Lear

All you need to do to produce it yourself is hit a single key.

Sry, but this answer isn't satisfying. Do you really suggest do press the pause key and then press a other key only to get a cool pause screen? Sorry, but this sounds weird. 

I think you know that here are two fraction. One with the wish to avoid any OSD during the pause and the opposite one with the wish of a cool pause screen like Netflix have. I think every opinion is understandable and you can't satisfy both without implementing an option.

Sry, but this answer isn't satisfying. Do you really suggest do press the pause key and then press a other key only to get a cool pause screen? Sorry, but this sounds weird. 

I think you know that here are two fraction. One with the wish to avoid any OSD during the pause and the opposite one with the wish of a cool pause screen like Netflix have. I think every opinion is understandable and you can't satisfy both without implementing an option.

This topic is about showing the OSD on start of an item, not on pausing.  If you wish to see the OSD when an item starts, all you have to do is press the down arrow.

K1ng_Lear

This topic is about showing the OSD on start of an item, not on pausing.  If you wish to see the OSD when an item starts, all you have to do is press the down arrow.

oh, sry, I mixed both topics up. you're right.

miniliQuid

Wait, how would that work for ET? Does keyboard arrow function? :o

no it does not work on ET

he is just talking about his platform

I'm talking about how it should eventually work on all platforms.

The OSD also pops up when using the "skip forward" and "skip back" buttons on the remote.

This is for context - to provide you a visual indication of to where you are seeking (the progress bar).

crusher11

Again, though, if I want to see that I can pull the OSD up manually. I'm skipping by ten seconds in a two hour movie, how much context do I need?

daedalus
as i don't expect the devs implementing any logic on this

if this gets applied, consider to make it appear on shuffle / playlist playback, cause there it's useful to show what's playing now eg after skipping or in case you disabled the "next up" info box

as expected, not considered to show on shuffle play and no option for us to decide

Again, though, if I want to see that I can pull the OSD up manually. I'm skipping by ten seconds in a two hour movie, how much context do I need?

That would be quite cumbersome, actually.

The standard practice when skipping is to show the progress bar for context and we believe that makes sense.

crusher11

Maybe if you're using it to fast-forward or rewind, but I most commonly use it as an "I missed that, I'll play it over". Plays in sports, or muffled lines of dialog, or an on-screen detail. In that context the OSD showing up is an inconvenience. Depending on what I'm looking at I might have to skip back twice just so the OSD will be out of the way when it gets to the thing I wanted to see.

Maybe only show the OSD if the skip button is pressed twice in the space of a second or something?