Is there a prioritized list of feature requests

EZEd

Just a general question to see if you guys (the developers) are keeping a published prioritized list of the on-going feature requests collected here in this thread?  If so, do we users have access to it (where)? And is there a way we can review it and upvote or have some type of input on which ones we think are the more/most important to work next?  Not that we'd expect you to adhere to our whims but it would at least let you know which ones the community thinks are most impactful for future/further development.  It might help you guys in prioritizing where best to place your resources and time.  Just a suggestion.

Thx

EZEd

Hi generally speaking we prioritize based on user feedback. So you could go into the feature requests forum and sort the topics by most viewed, most replied, etc, and those are the ones we will be looking at.

Hi generally speaking we prioritize based on user feedback. So you could go into the feature requests forum and sort the topics by most viewed, most replied, etc, and those are the ones we will be looking at.

Okay thanks Luke for input.  I'll try to see if I can draw up my own personal tracking map from that method of analysis. Out of curiosity, have you guys done any metrics to determine how well monitoring topic viewer count translates into upvoting or importance/prioritization to development map?  Have you done any real empirical investigation of this type or is pretty much just gut feel/common sense inference? Just curious.  Thanks again and more importantly you guys are doing a fantastic job.  Again it would just be great for us users to have some type of explicit upvoting or participative process that we could physically use to show/illustrate what's important to us.  Used strictly and only for your information. Again, I don't necessarily feel that you guys would be compelled to specifically use it as your only means of determining what gets implemented, updated or developed next but it may help with the expectations and help reduce some of the most intense bickering of some of users.  Just food for thought

Thx

EZEd

In a perfect world everybody would click the like button in the feature request topics, but not everyone does that. Some come in and say +1, others just view and never say anything, others mention it as an unrelated note embedded in other topics. And then there is feedback in the blogs, app stores, social media, etc. So it's really a judgement call based on all possible factors. 

And sometimes a feature request can come in other ways that may not look like a request. For example we pay close attention to pain points users have when using existing features. It's not always a bug but sometimes something that just needs refinement. So then we build it and you might see some complain that nobody asked for it, but actually you did when you reported that something was awkward or clumsy. We remember those things, and as they add up in certain areas, they may reach a point where we feel something needs to be done and that's why it might get moved ahead of other feature requests.

• Like 3

Good info. Well if you ever want to formalize a ranked/prioritized to-do list and voting system I'll be one of the first to participate.  I'm amazed at how the few of you (developers) can keep up with all of the requests and troubleshooting without a formalized system (as well as you do).  For that I am greatly impressed and deeply grateful for your efforts.  Keep up the good work.

EZEd

funwithmedia

And sometimes a feature request can come in other ways that may not look like a request. For example we pay close attention to pain points users have when using existing features. It's not always a bug but sometimes something that just needs refinement. So then we build it and you might see some complain that nobody asked for it, but actually you did when you reported that something was awkward or clumsy. We remember those things, and as they add up in certain areas, they may reach a point where we feel something needs to be done and that's why it might get moved ahead of other feature requests.

This is one of the things I really appreciate about you all (the Emby developers) -- the way you work to take in all that data and then make those intuitive judgement calls about what needs to be done. Metrics are great, and I'm a fan of them too, but there's a lot to be said for the Gestalt sense of what is most important overall in the context of all these variables, channels of communication, etc. So keep up the good work! :)

• Like 1