Best Video file format and why for EMBY

prasasumeet

prasasumeet

Hi all,

I want to know what video format is best i.e. MP4, M4V, MKV etc. more along the line of universal format that can be used from older devices to newer devices and the emby server does not have to stress too much.

On that also, is transcoding worth leaving on? which makes the server work harder?

Thank you :) 

mastrmind11

Emby will transcode a file when whatever is trying to play it is unable to play it in its native format.  If your device can't play mp4, the server will transcode.  If you're outside your LAN trying to play a file w/ a bitgrate higher than your internet connection, the server will transcode it.  If you don't want to transcode, find a format and bitrate that all of your devices are happy with, and convert your media to that.  You can keep multiple versions of a file and Emby will figure out which one to play based on the criteria (and others) I mentioned above.  Whether or not to enable transcoding is up to you, just note that if you disable it and try to play a file that requires transcoding, then Emby just won't play it.  ANd transcoding is what would make your server "work harder".

cochize1

Not to start a new topic I'll ask here: 

I have around 4 TB of movies and series in my Emby libraries ("not great, not terrible") in various formats, mainly mkv and avi with extrenal srt subtitles. Most of the files are 1080p or 720p and I am on stable 4.2.1.0 server set on on my Synology NAS. I have around 15 users using all kinsds of devices (iOS, Android, differeny browsers etc.).

My question: convertion takes a lot of time and can significatly slow my server but still, if that would halp transcoding issues in the future I could set it to convert small chunks of data over longer period of time. Is there any common setting to avoid transcoding at all (or at least as small as possible) without having multiple files for different devices?

clarkss12

Thanks all.

I have personally got my files all converted to mp4 and got all transcodin settings off.

This way my server doesn't stress and mp4 format is widely used without any issues.

Ive resulted to keeping transcodin off as earlier emby versions, having in on resulted in server or emby app crashing alot so by turning it of for all users, it made a big difference which made me keep it off till this date.

Yes, it is a lot of work to convert files to mp4, I use a handbrake script to monitor a folder on local machine which picks up all other formats and converts to mp4

When you convert your video, do you keep the subtitles??