MacOS issue

Michael - S
Go to solution Solved by Michael - S,

Michael - S

Hi - I'm using Emby Server with Live TV and DVR, latest version, on my Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6, and viewing via Apple TV latest gen and OS, and running Firefox on the Mac, with broadcast coming from an HD Homerun Quatro. 

A very annoying problem keeps happening where the computer screen will lock, and then the Emby stream will go down if I'm watching on the Apple TV, or if I'm trying to start Emby on the ATV it won't start until I wake the computer display. 

Recordings won't happen in the background, either, if the Mac display has closed.

I've gone through every setting I know on the Mac, sleep is set to "never", display is set to not lock (yet it still does), hard disk is set to never go to sleep, yet this still happens, and it disables Emby server when it does.

Imagine the frustration when the wife tries to turn the TV on to watch a live broadcast, and I have to be summoned from somewhere else in the house to have to close the Emby app on the ATV, then back to the room where the Mac sits near the router to wake it up, unlock the display, then go back and reboot the Emby app on the ATV.

-- wait --

it just happened again.  for the 2nd time during the World Series game 1, and its only the 3rd inning...

----------

Anyone else have this issue, and have you sorted out a solution? 

Edited by Michael - S

AZRichG

I have the same setup but with a HDHR Prime, no issues like that here.

When you say the screen 'locks' are you saying it just goes to sleep and wakes up with a keystroke or mouse button?

They're gonna ask for logs to help understand what is happening.

Michael - S

When you say the screen 'locks' are you saying it just goes to sleep and wakes up with a keystroke or mouse button?

Yes, display itself locks and requires password to log back in, even though I have this setting disabled in System Preferences (something like "require password after ....... min when display sleeps or screen saver").  This might be due to having filevault turned on, not sure.  It also appears that it doesn't actually go into sleep mode, as the power light on the front of the Mac Mini is solid, not pulsing.  However, after I wake the display and log in, Firefox is minimized, Emby server takes 15 seconds or so to start up and appear in the menu bar, etc., along with other login apps. 

Edited by Michael - S

• Solution
Michael - S

I think I figured it out.  Buried in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General there is an Advanced selection at the bottom right.  I clicked that and there is a setting "Log out after xx minutes of inactivity".  It was checked and set at 30 min.  I'm not sure if this was default, or if some time ago when I set the user up I set it.  Unchecking that setting should fix my problem, hopefully, as I can't find anything else that would be user-configurable to override the user lock other than eliminating security completely by turning off filevault and deleting the user password. 

• Like 1

Michael - S

It worked.  My wife reminded me that we had been running Emby for several weeks with no issues.  I hadn't changed any of the macOS system preferences, so it must have become a default setting with a software update which has happened within the past couple of weeks.