chapter extraction

ronvp

ronvp

After adding a few movies, I noticed that on freshly added MP4 movies, chapter extraction is not working any more. I checked some MP4's that were previously extracted with a older server version and they worked ok. I then rebuild the whole movie cache and re-run chapter image extraction... Image extractions for all MP4's are not working.  When I check them with META Tag, chapters are there and it all seems to be OK.  Chapter image extractions from  MKV files are working OK..

Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my set up or MP4 movies. It clearly was working in the past..

Yup, broken since April with MP4s.  Works with MKVs though.  Odd one.

can you post a sample file? thanks.

Deathsquirrel

Can we call illegally sharing my DVD rips a last resort? :)  I certainly can for diagnostic purposes but if we can come up with another approach it's probably best.  They're all just MP4s created in handbrake using the high-profile preset with pretty minor tweaks.  This happens with DVD and blu-ray source.  In the other thread that EBR linked I tested them all in MPC-HC and FFPROBE.  MB3 shows the correct number of chapters but it shows the wrong start times.  They're all shown as chapter start time 0:00 except chapter one which is consistently at -1:59:60.

I thought it might be a cache problem so I uninstalled, deleted all cache data, and reinstalled.  After that I lost all chapter images instead of only not having them for movies added since April 9-ish.

If there is an alternate test I can run let me know.  Otherwise I can rip something and encode a 3-4 chapter chunk of it for you to test with tomorrow.

ronvp

For posting I have same concerns as Deathsquirrel. I do note that I have mostly used Xmedia Recode to rip (and convert MKV's) to MP4's and for 3D rips I used DVDFab.

For each MP4, I used METAX to load up the metadata, including chapters if they were missing..

Other players do see the chapters in the same MP4's just fine. It appears to be a server issue..

If you really need a sample, I can post a very low quality (audio and video) MP4 with fully loaded MetaData

• 1 month later...
ronvp

Chapter image extraction from MP4 files still not working, did we find out what the problem was? or do I need to do a complete refresh?

Edited by ronvp

roberthleeii

Chapter image extraction from MP4 files still not working, did we find out what the problem was? or do I need to do a complete refresh?

How do we do a complete refresh?

ronvp

Not sure if there is a official way, but what I do is:

exit the server

Delete the complete Cache directory (C:\Users\"Your user name here"\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache)

Delete the "Chapters.db" file in: C:\users\"Youre user name here"\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data)

Restart the server

Wait for the  "Scan media library" task to complete

Run the "Chapter Image Extraction" task

Rebuilding can take a long time, so if possible, avoid it!

Edited by ronvp
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

FYI, didn't work for me.  Now I just don't see chapters at all on the server.  Have to look into this a bit more later.

ronvp

FYI, didn't work for me.  Now I just don't see chapters at all on the server.  Have to look into this a bit more later.

You will also have to run the extract chapter images task

Deathsquirrel

You will also have to run the extract chapter images task

Yeah I figured that so I did it before I reported that it didn't work.  No chapter info shown on the server, the windows 8 store app, or MBT.

roberthleeii

Yeah I figured that so I did it before I reported that it didn't work.  No chapter info shown on the server, the windows 8 store app, or MBT.

Same for me

Deathsquirrel

Bah, so stuff I add today is working again but older items still show nothing. Guess I clear the entire cache out and rebuild everything.  Thank goodness for local metadata.  Cache files corrupt.  A 'clear all cache' button would be handy to have :)

ronvp

I did noticed another thing, during rebuilding the Cache, my C:\ drive (SSD) was filling up completely. I noticed that a "TEMP" directory was added to the MB server Cache directory. It completely filled up my drive 120 GB SSD). So I moved the Cache to a set of Striped hard discs, and rebuild again. It could barely fit it all. After rebuilding I deleted the "TEMP" directory. It does not seem to re-create the TEMP dir..