3 replies to this topic

#1 nayr OFFLINE  

nayr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

Just did a 1600 mile road trip, kids got an old iPad I preloaded w/movies.. had a couple of issues I thought worthy of reporting.

First of all, I stuffed the tablet w/movies.. but had 2GB free.. We kept getting notifications of low space, so we kept deleting apps/photos and even downloaded movies off the tablet and then Emby would consume all the available space for no apparent reason.. if I got 4GB free, within a few hours we were getting low space notifications and emby had grown in data size by that amount.. I dont really understand why Emby would consume free space watching offline media but it seemed we got no relief and just had to deal with the errors interrupting video playback.

The second issue I had was that Emby at some point had crashed hard (maby filled up all space?), required a hard reset of the tablet.. when it came back, it had lost its user credentials and would not permit us to access downloaded media.. It was not until we found some Wifi, and I got it logged back into my Emby server that we were able to access offline media.. IMO, if this situation happens offline media should still be available. 

#2 Senna OFFLINE  

Senna

iOS - iPadOS - tvOS

• Members
  • 1158 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 AM

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

From my experience, viewing content using Apple devices on holiday without internet, works best with a wireless HDD. That HDD can create it’s own network for clients, for client apps to connect to. Emby can’t do that yet.

#3 nayr OFFLINE  

nayr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

yeah I'mna build a portable emby server for my travel trailer for more storage space since nobody gives you SD storage anymo.. but offline download/sync should be a more viable option for long term use w/out network connectivity.. I'm VERY glad they fixed the crash that completely stopped this device on our previous trip.. but its still not perfect yet.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139861 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

First of all, I stuffed the tablet w/movies.. but had 2GB free.. We kept getting notifications of low space, so we kept deleting apps/photos and even downloaded movies off the tablet and then Emby would consume all the available space for no apparent reason.. if I got 4GB free, within a few hours we were getting low space notifications and emby had grown in data size by that amount.. I dont really understand why Emby would consume free space watching offline media but it seemed we got no relief and just had to deal with the errors interrupting video playback.

Happy to go over specific repeatable scenarios but i have a constant rotation of downloads and removals for testing and have not seen an explosion in space consumed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users