Why the performance of playing original movies in LAN is so bad

jsjcjsjc

jsjcjsjc

Hello
I have a question regarding playing original movies(no transcoding, no hardware Acceleration), Why the performance of playing original movies in LAN is so bad ?
I know my NAS server‘s performance is very bad, hardware Acceleration is not possible, so I try to play original movies on my Ipad air…but it looks terrible.
so i have to try VLC player on my ipad air(Use Upnp protocol to connect with my NAS), it works great !! 4K HEVC movie is also very smooth.

could you please optimize the performance of playing original movies in LAN, like VLC

What is the bitrate set to for your client?

It sounds like maybe the client bitrates are set low.

Start media playback the click the 'cog' icon and raise the bitrate 'mb/s'.

Happy2Play

It is all about the client/app.  VLC will alway be able to do things others can't. 

What client/app, what did you play, server and ffmpeg log if present?

jsjcjsjc

Hi there, yes, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

hi

Thank you so much for your kindle help

I find a great website for test, there are many test video on this website. the link below is my tested video, it works well in VLC, but very bad in emby.

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv

here is the log in my NAS

http://home.g60.net:5280/uploads/public/log.zip

thanks in advance

jsjcjsjc

It is all about the client/app.  VLC will alway be able to do things others can't. 

What client/app, what did you play, server and ffmpeg log if present?

I have upload my logs,

Thanks in advance ;-)

hi

Thank you so much for your kindle help

I find a great website for test, there are many test video on this website. the link below is my tested video, it works well in VLC, but very bad in emby.

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv

here is the log in my NAS

http://home.g60.net:5280/uploads/public/log.zip

thanks in advance

That's a 4k vid, if the ipad doesn't support 4k your Emby server will be transcoding to a lower resolution. I'm pretty sure no ipad has a 4k screen, that would be 3840 x 2160 pixels. What resolution does the ipad support? What are the specs of your Emby server? 

Edited by Pog22

jsjcjsjc

That's a 4k vid, if the ipad doesn't support 4k your Emby server will be transcoding to a lower resolution. I'm pretty sure no ipad has a 4k screen, that would be 3840 x 2160 pixels. What resolution does the ipad support? What are the specs of your Emby server? 

but the question is VLC on my ipad can play this video very well

but the question is VLC on my ipad can play this video very well

Yes of course it will, it plays everything. As will Kodi. They have built in encoders and use the device hardware.

The Emby app is a client, it makes the server do the work to send it a format it can play natively without using the device hardware

• Like 1

jsjcjsjc

Yes of course it will, it plays everything. As will Kodi. They have built in encoders and use the device hardware.

The Emby app is a client, it makes the server do the work to send it a format it can play natively without using the device hardware

Yes, you are right.

but i choose playing original movies, so emby on my ipad will use ipad's hardware i think

Yes, you are right.

but i choose playing original movies, so emby on my ipad will use ipad's hardware i think

Original is really try play original, it will tell the server send the highest resolution your device supports. For instance if you were on poor WiFi you would set it to max at a 2mbit 720p stream so it streams better. Edited by Pog22

jsjcjsjc

Can you please go over an example? Please see post #3. Thanks.

I am not sure, but I think I have give you an example on #7 ?

is that you need ?