Comments on "Now Playing" screen (music)

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

I do not know how development team would refer to each one but... when playing music there is:

- One screen containing controls to the music being played along with current queue on form of horizontal track listing below controls.

(this one I would refer to as the "Queue Screen")

- Another screen wich is not possibly invoked by the remote control. It will, instead, be shown after some inactivity time. This screen also contains info on track being played but no info on queue.

(this would be the "Now playing" screen)

So regarding "Now Playing" screen:

• Beautiful screen, good useful info being displayed. It is a real improvement from Chromecast's approach I was used to;
  • How this screen is invoked: There is currently no way to invoke this screen. Emby app will call it after some inactivity time but only if user was on the "Queue Screen". If app is left inactive on any other screen while still playing, inactivity time will lead to AndroidTV's default screen saver. I would suggest that, during playback:
    • This "Now Playing" screen to be shown after inactivity on any Emby app screen;
    • Similarly to the "Queue Screen" thumbnail shown on other screens during playback, there could be a "Now Playing" thumbnail that would only be shown on the "Queue Screen". This would allow the user to start it any time.
  • Artist name is shown on upper left area. Problem here is that artist name shown is probably the "first row" from the result set app got querying server about TrackArtists. As already mentioned here, it would better show all AlbumArtists or all TrackArtists. (this is the only "real problem" on this screen)
  • Still regarding artist name: for AlbumArtists with a logo image I would also suggest app should prefer showing AlbumArtist's logo instead of name;
  • Background slideshow: Really beautiful. And it is a very good feature that it toggles from all AlbumArtist's background images when the Album being played has no background image. If the album has a background image, though, slideshow will stick to it and there will be no togglin if album has just one background image. I would suggest the slideshow image selection would always include all album artist background images as well as background images from all TrackArtists.

Hi.  Thanks for the feedback.  What you are referring to is a "screen saver" of sorts during music playback.  It is intended to be informational while music is playing in the background.  It cannot be interacted with because, once you press any key, you will be back in the normal interface and then can interact with the queue or any of the other controls.  This is a fairly common paradigm (an interactive screen and then a screen saver type screen after some period of inactivity).

The screen saver does indicate what the next track will be though.

As for multiple artists - I agree about showing those on the main screen but I don't think it is necessary in this screen saver mode.  The idea is to have a relatively uncluttered screen in that instance.

EduardoSantos

I fear I was not clear when referring to wich is what.

This post comments Emby's "screen saver" or, as I named, "now playing" screen. I understand and agree to the concept that there is no user interaction to this screen. What I pointed out is that there could be a mechanism for the user to invoke it from what I called "Queue Screen" (to wich you probably refer to as "now playing").

This mechanism would be a thumbnail only displayed on the "Queue Screen" just as there is a thumbnail to reach "Queue screen" from other screens.

And yes, I agree this screen should be as clean as possible.

My proposal is to show all AlbumArtists instead of the first TrackArtist from the result set.
You see... AlbumArtist is a clue much more relevant to find out the actual album than a TrackArtist. 

As a means to keep things clear, when presenting a multi-artist AlbumArtist, this could be done by presenting just the first AlbumArtist and a default " and others" (or a plus sign or even a "...").

Do you agree that showing just one incidental TrackArtist is not the best policy?

Edited by EduardoSantos

Do you agree that showing just one incidental TrackArtist is not the best policy?

Hmmm... When talking about a screen showing limited information on a single song that is currently playing, I think listing the track artist makes more sense... In fact, I believe this was specifically requested in the past.

The main player screen, should list them all though.

EduardoSantos

It seems I was not clear.

The AlbumArtist is Queen

TrackArtists are: Freddy Mercury, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Brian May

Currently Emby will show just one track artist, the first it got from the result set. Let's say it's John Deacon.

So the player would show just John Deacon.

I understand previous requests (maybe they were mine) but it really does not seem to be the best idea.
I would say: on the brief music information displayed by the player - in order to keep it as clean as possible - showing AlbumArtist would be better than just one track artist.

Edited by EduardoSantos

I would say: on the brief music information displayed by the player - in order to keep it as clean as possible - showing AlbumArtist would be better than just one track artist.

Not if it is a "Various Artists" album...

All of your tracks are tagged with every single musician?

EduardoSantos

Not at this time. It is a huge collection.

And the relevance of this info depends upon genre.

But for jazz music I would say 90% is tagged with all musicians.

Regarding the display issue, I consider it as a brief info on how to find the current track on database.

it seems AlbumArtist would be the best idea. But, that can also contain more than one artist so I think a "+" or "..." sign after the first one would be enough.

Edited by EduardoSantos

Regarding the display issue, I consider it as a brief info on how to find the current track on database.

it seems AlbumArtist would be the best idea. But, that can also contain more than one artist so I think a "+" or "..." sign after the first one would be enough.

Assuming we're talking about the "screen saver" screen again - the intention is for someone to be able to glance at the screen to see "who is singing this song".  In that case, the track artist makes sense but most popular music is not going to be tagged with all the musicians performing.

EduardoSantos

I would say most music will not be tagged with more than one track artist. With no AlbumArtist.

But, again, all depends on the listener. Won't occasional music listener sitck to Spotify?

I suppose Emby user wants to build a music collection.

I understand your concept for what is the purpose of the screen saver.

Maybe we can cut the difference:

If there's a AlbumArtist and the AlbumArtist is also one of the TrackArtists, wouldn't be better to show that artist first?

(if just one artist will be shown)

But let me try something different:

I understand this is as a conceptual issue. 

For the "Queen" example the ideal display would be: "Queen (Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Brian May)"

And that is good, as pop music bands usually change members throughout their life.

For jazz music, there is rarely such things as bands, so a given track could be such as:
AlbumArtist: Cannonbal Adderley, John Coltrane

TrackArtists: Wynton Kelly;Paul Chambers;Cannonball Adderley;Jimmy Cobb;John Coltrane

So, the ideal display would be "Cannonbal Adderley, John Coltrane (Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb)"

That could that be displayed jus as:
Queen

(Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Brian May)

and

Cannonbal Adderley, John Coltrane 

(Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb)

and if info size exceeds screen pre-defined limits, it could be displayed such as:

Cannonbal Adderley, Joh...

(Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy C...

5daf581108898_Screenshot_20191022160431.

Edited by EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

I understand I went over the limits insisting on this and am sincerely sorry to recall it but...

... regarding "one wants to see who is playing that song" I currently see all track artists in no screen on AndroidTV app and, as a reward to tagging efforts, Emby shows me a random artist to a song througout the interfcace.

I understand I went over the limits insisting on this and am sincerely sorry to recall it but...

... regarding "one wants to see who is playing that song" I currently see all track artists in no screen on AndroidTV app and, as a reward to tagging efforts, Emby shows me a random artist to a song througout the interfcace.

I would not say you went over limits insisting anything. You are correct. People get busy too. I know at times when people "badger" it is done out of good intentions. It is because you LOVE EMBY so much that you want to parent it. Everybody wants their media their way. It will get there.

Eric is a busy d00d and has alot of hats to wear. When he puts back on the Android TV hat I bet he pops back in here to give you some indication that you are being heard. That is what this is.

I understand what you are saying people do not appreciate the trees in the forest. The people that make up a band. The actors in films are the same. We get those. But band members at the moment are different. They would probably need their own category:Musicians to separate it from artists and album artists which are bands. Then each role those musicians have too. Singer, Lead Bass, Guitar, Etc..

It can get complicated pretty quickly. I am sure that is why you feel you aren't being heard. You are heard. This is just a very big request. :)

Edited by speechles

Yes, the main screen does still have this deficiency.

...The main player screen, should list them all though.