Transcoding freezes after one minute

EwanC
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I'm experiencing an issue on playback via web browsers. For transcoding content, the playback freezes after one minute (62 or 63 seconds). The content is not resumable. No error is reported - the playback just freezes. The source files are MTS.

It happens on both Chrome and IE on Windows 10 and Server 2019. This has started happening since I upgraded the Emby server to Server 2019 from Server 2012 R2.

I've tried changing the CRF settings, and encoding preset, but neither fixes the problem. On some files, the higher CRF setting (50) allowed the files to play for 3 minutes, but then froze again.

I've attached the Server logs, and media details are below. Any advice would be very appreciated. 

Media Info
Video
Title 1080i H264
Codec H264
Codec tag HDMV
AVC No
Profile High
Level 40
Resolution 1920x1080
Aspect ratio 16:9
Interlaced Yes
Framerate 25
Bitrate 16,321 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1
NAL 0

Audio
Title Dolby Digital stereo
Codec AC3
Codec tag AC-3
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 256 kbps
Sample rate 48,000 Hz
Default No
Container mpegts
Path H:\ServerFolders\Camcorder\2008\Sept-Dec\00043.MTS

ffmpeg-remux-ecc81ee8-542e-4334-ba04-89447b24d690_1.txt

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63707013123.txt

Edited by EwanC

• Solution

@@EwanC

Hi there, looks like we're stream copying the original video when perhaps it should be fully transcoded. Can you please try lowering the in-app quality setting to force a full video transcode? Since this video is about 16 mbps, try setting it to something lower than that. Please note that setting will be remembered for other video playback, but please give it a test. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Luke - thank you so much.

I dropped the player gradually down to 4Mbps, and it now plays all the way through. Choosing a higher quality caused the playback to stutter every few seconds as the transcoding didn't appear to be able to keep up.

The lower quality is not an issue for me, so this is a good solution for my setup.

Have a lovely weekend!

Ewan

Thanks for the feedback. You may also want to consider checking out our media conversion feature to help you convert these into a more streaming friendly format.