nfo Tags not updating in Emby

tuvx

I have manually modified the genres tags (added additional genre) in my movies's nfo files, however, Emby is not showing the new genres. After running refresh: Scan for new and updated files, it actually did briefly, then most (not all) reverted back to not including the genres. I have verified the nfo files still have the addition genre, and that for Movies my Metadata savers in nfo. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Do I need to rebuild the whole library?

I have quite a few movies, and find it convenient to shuffle. With your chosen approach using the SQL random, and the fact that a shuffle is a bit too random with all my movies, I like to group them by decade. Since this is not a filtering option (plus the lack of any filters on my primary viewing device of the Fire TV), I chose to create a collection for each decade. This has always been a poor solution, as the Collection view is still stuck as a horizontal scroll, and the movies displayed is limited (e.g. many collections have well over a hundred movies and only the first 80-ish are shown); also, you may not sort Collection views.

One of the recent updates for the Fire TV, finally gave us a full vertical view for Genres, showing all movies in each and allowing sorting. My new approach is to create a new genre for each decade. However, unlike collections, this involves changing metadata which there to date is no way to bulk modify within Emby, requiring me to 1-by-1 add the genre to each (probably take a week to complete). Reading a recent feature request update, I read a user's post suggesting a third party utility Tiny Media Manager. Using this program I was able to complete the updates in about 5 minutes. Being new to the program, I had not realized while it read the [name of movie].nfo files, by default it saves the changes to a movie.nfo file, not updating the originals. I modified the TMM program setting to instead update the [name of movie].nfo file, and now it works fine. Long story short, Emby was working as expected, I mistakenly read the movie.nfo when I posted that the new genre was present but not recognized.