117 replies to this topic

#101 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

For some other experiences on a different platform, take a look at the development of the Material skin for LMS- https://forums.slimd...e-Material-Skin - in about a year it's basically revitalised the old Slimserver platform (which I use for music at home). There's been quite a bit of discussion about layout etc. on a variety of web page sizes and shapes and is, of course, open source.

#102 BloodyIron OFFLINE  

BloodyIron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

I agree with the part about having the queue open while you are adding stuff to it. So what that means to me in my head is that I'm browsing through my songs in Emby, and the queue right side follows me around, so I can add to queue (maybe click and drag??? not just pull-down menus), that way the queue and playback is persistent as I go through the Emby media system (and maybe admin section? dunno if that's asking too much).

To look at a _similar_ UX, go look at twitch, play a broadcast, now navigate to another section of the site (twitch) and note that the broadcast keeps playing bottom right and follows you around. You can maximise it back up at your will, or dismiss it, etc.

That kind of "following you around" is generally what I mean.

imo the image efficiently (with respect to sceeen real estate) communicates useful information.

seems like 3 people will give four oppinions so realtime (toggle-able) queue display options would be good if workable on the platform (not withstanding controller/screen size/performance constraints)

for smaller form factors and devices with restricted controls a more prescriptive constrained design or background options might be neccessary to ensure function. and a decision that wont please everyone all the time.

i am impressed with how other platforms still allow extensive queue management even on a roku controller / tv.

the queue conversation started around osd and for osd its reasonable (especially on constrained devices) that the queue takes up the whole screen. ie osd is full screen and when the queue is requested the queue is full screen. you are either editing / managing the queue or enjoying the queue via osd. A full screen neccesitates no? options as everything can be displayed. image, track artist and album name, track time, year , track controls (remove, move, jump to album/artist). queue controls (save/save as playlist, shuffle)

the queue only needs the metadata and controls to build and understand the queue content..more function than form. the osd is there for looks and possibly where options are more valuable.

the suggestion around queue as a side drawer is probably more relevant to high res mouse driven interfaces to alliow for rapid building of queue from the library. and here queue display options might be more beneficial. a desktop has the controller and resolution and perfornance to utilise realtime queue display toggles and as a side drawer screen real estate is more of a premium.

for the queue drawer the big advantage of not displaying an image is the number of rows you can get on the screen increases and that may sometimes be important? and the space can be released for other data on the row.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#103 Bill4sman OFFLINE  

Bill4sman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

I've been able to play flawless FLAC on it just fine, with very high bitrates. What exactly are you on about?

192/24bit in STEREO would be great but doesn't work even according to Emby.

#104 BloodyIron OFFLINE  

BloodyIron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Since a valid point was made earlier, as to which way we're playing on Emby, how were you trying the music on Emby?

192/24bit in STEREO would be great but doesn't work even according to Emby.

#105 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12532 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

Since a valid point was made earlier, as to which way we're playing on Emby, how were you trying the music on Emby?

We're getting off track here, but Exoplayer resamples to 16 bit.

#106 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3015 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

Not bad...

5dbcd3b111900_EmbyOneHeadlight.jpg

...still looking forward to that slide out feature though  :)

• BloodyIron likes this

#107 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139713 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

Thanks. Not bad at all. I think it's a good start.

#108 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3015 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:36 AM

Am sure am getting boring now but a 'somewhat' transparent slider list would be great, I think, so long as there's more background lurking underneath it of course.

#109 Bill4sman OFFLINE  

Bill4sman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

That's the PROBLEM

We're getting off track here, but Exoplayer resamples to 16 bit.

#110 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139713 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

'somewhat' transparent slider list

What do you mean?

#111 pwhodges OFFLINE  

pwhodges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOxford, UK

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

They mean some transparency in the background of the playlist (which they are picturing as sliding in, though it doesn't yet), so that the whole backdrop is visible.

Edited by pwhodges, 02 November 2019 - 02:03 PM.

• arrbee99 likes this

#112 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139713 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

Well that's how it initially started. See my post here:

https://emby.media/c...o-osd/?p=801520

Followed by @ebr's comment a few posts later. It's a trade-off, do you want the backdrop using the whole width, or do you want it perfectly centered in the main area.

#113 daedalus OFFLINE  

daedalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

how in the world this just could get solved?

#114 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139713 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

I've also played with something like this, which looks really neat:

5dbdc8f5ad514_Untitled.png

It puts another copy of the backdrop behind just the playlist, then blurs it. I didn't include it at this point because between some browsers not supporting it, and the fact that it doesn't look good in certain themes, there's a lot of variables that would need to be worked out first.

#115 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3015 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Well that's how it initially started. See my post here:

https://emby.media/c...o-osd/?p=801520

Followed by @ebr's comment a few posts later. It's a trade-off, do you want the backdrop using the whole width, or do you want it perfectly centered in the main area.

Its as pwhodges said.

Ideally, well for me anyway - The backdrop uses the whole width, the list slides in (hopefully) from the right and is completely transparent so the the backdrop underneath isn't affected. You chaps would probably leave the backdrop quite dark but I could hopefully brighten it. Even more ideally (easy for me to say of course, maybe this is the killer), as the playlist slides in from the right, the previously centred media info slides over to accommodate it.

#116 mickle026 OFFLINE  

mickle026

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

@Luke - How are you loading the media thumbnail for each track?

1. is the album cover only used?  -- ie \Album\poster.jpg

2. Is each Tracks Embeded Image used? -- ie from the mp3 tag (or other tag)

3. Is a poster for each track used as a fallback?

ie. Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding.mp3   Try to use embeded image,

if not present use folder image
Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding-poster.jpg or Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding.jpg

else fallback to Album cover

Im asking because where I have a custom compilation that I made, they all show the custom album cover or the first track cover for every track rather than the individual track covers? That is unless I add them withthe three dot menu > Edit Images

5dbe35c41fc0b_Untitled.png

Edited by mickle026, 02 November 2019 - 10:06 PM.

#117 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3015 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Bit underwhelming with only one song imho...

5dbf6a86e3a93_EmbySultansofSwing.jpg

#118 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3015 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted Today, 04:36 PM

Bit of an experiment toning down the colour a bit (till I get bored with it...)

5dc9c631543dd_EmbyMusictonedowncolours.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users