• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

For a year now I have been using Emby and with a couple of Roku Ultra

as my only means to watch and record TV.  In that time the experience

has improved greatly, but there are a couple areas that it is lacking-

1.  Searching for Upcoming episodes.  It works, but does not offer adding

that program as a recording (or series), limiting the value of the result.

2.  Access to Season and Episode numbers.  I have a couple of series with

silly-long names.  The result is that the Season and Episode numbers do not

fit on the 'Up Next' thumbnail.  They are also absent from the program synopsis.

This hurts when trying to wait for a marathon or repeats to fill in missing episodes

before watching subsequent ones.

3.  Guide navigation. This might exist, but I have not found it.  The use of fast-forward

and rewind to page down/up in the guide is very helpful, but there needs to be a

way to jump forward/back 12(or configurable) hours in the guide to allow rapidly date/time

to setup a recording.

At the moment all three can be worked around by using either theater or the web-app,

but is feels clumsy to depend on those apps for just these features ( I don't use them

to actually watch any media)

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

1.  Searching for Upcoming episodes.  It works, but does not offer adding

that program as a recording (or series), limiting the value of the result.

Hi, can you explain this a little bit more?

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:01 AM

2.  Access to Season and Episode numbers.  I have a couple of series with

silly-long names.  The result is that the Season and Episode numbers do not

fit on the 'Up Next' thumbnail.  They are also absent from the program synopsis.

This hurts when trying to wait for a marathon or repeats to fill in missing episodes

before watching subsequent ones.

We'll make this consistent with the web app. Thanks for the feedback.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

Guide navigation. This might exist, but I have not found it.  The use of fast-forward

and rewind to page down/up in the guide is very helpful, but there needs to be a

way to jump forward/back 12(or configurable) hours in the guide to allow rapidly date/time

to setup a recording.

What would you suggest?

#5 Dan_Austin OFFLINE  

Dan_Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

For item 1, I enter live TV and select search, type in the show name that I want to create a series recording of.

Select the found program, but the only three options listed are-

Tune to Channel/Favorite/Refresh

Item 2-  Thanks!

Item 3-  I have no idea what options exist in the Roku SDK for remote features.  If it supports long press events,

then perhaps making the left/right navigation buttons jump, or add a Day/Date header like the web app, so once the

correct time slot is found it is possible to use that header to jump forward a day at a time (and back if appropriate)

I don't actually use the Roku remote, and suspect that the SDK only supports buttons that their remotes have.  If

it is capable of more, then the model the last DVR I used was intuitive and handy.  The nav wheel was used to move

through the guide one channel or time slot(up/down-left/right), channel up/down would jump through the guide one

page at a time (like ffwd and Rev today) and the ffwd/rev buttons jumped +/- 12 hours.

If the Roku platform makes it difficult, then I may need another platform long term.  An example of how 1 &3 impact

usability is last week I missed the pilot of Batwoman.  I knew it was coming, but it wasn't in the guide the last time I

thought to add it.  I realized I missed it a couple hours after it aired.  Search found upcoming episodes, but I could not

convert them to a series recording.  Navigating forward in the guide nearly seven days proved frustrating (I tried).

In the end I went to my home office, loaded the web app and used it's guide to jump to the next showing date and

added it.  I did not try search in the web app at that time, but I just did and it does offer to setup recordings, so another

spot to unify behavior.

#6 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

#1 This is another of those we haven't gotten there yet. This will indeed happen.

#2 We already have this in the queue for our next push to Beta. This just needs to be reviewed.

#3 It needs to be intuitive. If it were a long hold press people may not know to do that. Other Roku apps do not behave this way. What we could do is make better use of the fast-forward and rewind buttons and have an option to change the behavior on the overlay panel for liveTV. A setting on that overlay to make fast-foward and rewind affect channels paging or timegrid paging. We need to investigate how to do better in this regard. There is an ability to tell when the user holds a press. We get both press and key events. So can tell when a key is held down by the prior state of the key and the prior state of the press. If still equals the same the user is holding down the key. But these require manual hand holding and we have to roll our own detection for this. This would need to be looked into the most intuitive, rational and logical way a user would expect this to happen.

Edited by speechles, 18 October 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#7 Dan_Austin OFFLINE  

Dan_Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

That is great news on 1 and 2.  I was thinking about my intuitive comment and realized that

with the limited number of buttons on the Roku remote that would be the challenge.

I found on these forums that a number of the buttons did things that I did not expect, which

got me wondering if there was a comprehensive list of what each button controlled and if

the those features changed based on where in the app the view was.  I haven't found such

a list, so let me suggest as a super-low priority that such a list be added to a help section under

the settings screen

And thanks again for all the effort that goes into the server and apps.

#8 skidmarks ONLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

That is great news on 1 and 2.  I was thinking about my intuitive comment and realized that

with the limited number of buttons on the Roku remote that would be the challenge.

I found on these forums that a number of the buttons did things that I did not expect, which

got me wondering if there was a comprehensive list of what each button controlled and if

the those features changed based on where in the app the view was.  I haven't found such

a list, so let me suggest as a super-low priority that such a list be added to a help section under

the settings screen

And thanks again for all the effort that goes into the server and apps.

I had that same thought a few months ago.  I was going to take the initiative to do a drawing of the roku remote and give detail of what button does what when in the emby app. 

The app is still changing like fine wine, and to be honest i have no idea, still, the complete scope of all the features that are available.  Maybe i just do what i know and everyone helps fill in the blanks?

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

I found on these forums that a number of the buttons did things that I did not expect

What buttons? Can you give an example?

#10 Dan_Austin OFFLINE  

Dan_Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:01 PM

Sure.  These are mostly guide specific, but I have no idea if there are more.

I did not know that the fwd/rev buttons would perform a page up/page down.

And I guess this one should have been obvious, I did not realize that the

play button would tune the highlighted channel.  I had just been double

pressing OK.

One blight of universal remotes has always been that there is not always

an exact button match for a function, and it ends up on a button that only

makes sense to the mapper.  With the over simplified remotes so many

devices now include it is that much worse.

Skidmarks-  That would be awesome.  Even if it turns out that there are no

new features, it would be handy for new users and a great reference for

programming a 3rd party remote.

#11 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

Hi.  The Roku remote really doesn't have very many buttons.  Are the operations of them in the different areas of the app not relatively obvious/intuitive? 

#12 Dan_Austin OFFLINE  

Dan_Austin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

I hate documenting my code/project as much as the next nerd.  Sadly 30 years in tech has

taught me that what is obvious to me the developer is likely not to be to my audience.

Perhaps I do know all of the button features, but I have no way to know I do know them all.

#13 skidmarks ONLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

I also learned to document and make technical drawings and step by step directions for my staff.  Being on the same page if critical.  Of-course i was dealing with million dollar video / audio distribution plants.  Emby and the roku remote isn't exactly rocket science, but i have ran into occasions trying to figure out what does what depending on what screen you're on.

I'll tackle the remote drawing soon...  

Edited by skidmarks, 20 October 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#14 sekondchakra OFFLINE  

sekondchakra

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

I would love the ability to somehow run "Scan Media Library" from the Roku app.   Or, if that's not possible, have a similar button on the Home Screen.   I tend to run it manually fairly often, and having to drill down into the server is a little discouraging.  (A first-world problem, to be sure!)  

#15 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5778 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:57 PM

That might be possible. For that to occur we might not be able to track status of how far it has progressed. You might still need to peek at the dashboard to see that. But if the user is an administrator it might be possible to put the "Scan ALL Libraries" button at the button of the homescreen. Perhaps a "Scan Library" button inside each library view as well. This is indeed possible for the future. I can add it to the tracker like all requests.

Reference: Request #660: [Scan Library] Allow administrator to scan libraries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users