Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 New Model)

lightsout

lightsout

Just popped up on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Str...B07YP9FBMM

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player, High Performance, Dolby Vision, 3GB RAM

The Best of the Best. Up to 25% faster than the previous generation thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, SmartThings hub-ready, AAA Android gaming, Twitch broadcasting, 3GB RAM, and 16GB storage.

Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.

Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, Plex

Media Server, and premium Android gaming. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.

Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix,YouTube, Prime Video and Hulu. Listen from the most comprehensive collection of music services, including Amazon Music and Spotify. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.

Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo.

Looks like some new and advanced upscaling, definitely going to be snagging one of these.

Jdiesel

Probably not enough of a reason for me to upgrade my existing units but it looks like a nice refresh. The upscaling improvements sound interesting and the new remote sounds nice too. 

cybergrimes

I just sold my 2017 model while the resale is still high on the assumption the release date for this is actually the date on the pulled listing. I'm all for not switching to my TV apps for Dolby Vision and the promise of better upscaling made it an easy sell to this sucker ;)

Hopefully Netflix and Vudu have DV enabled apps out quickly to follow...

Edited by cybergrimes

FrostByte

The date I saw in the article was that it would start shipping on 28 Oct.  I don't know how Amazon could start shipping that date if you can't even pre-order yet.

lightsout

The date I saw in the article was that it would start shipping on 28 Oct.  I don't know how Amazon could start shipping that date if you can't even pre-order yet.

Amazon had a quick pre-order while it was up. Ship date was oct. 28. Says mine will be at my house oct 30 (my b-day). We'll see.

• Like 1

lightsout

Actually a lot of people already have them over at avsforum. I grabbed one last night and it popped up on the register.

So far so good. Except I am having the color space issue again lol. It's either stuck in 2020 or 709.

Other than that not a huge upgrade as expected. Some people are really praising the ai upscaling. I haven't had much time to test it.

• Like 1

Those arrow buttons are look mighty tempting. Maybe PgUp/PgDown, chapter skip, or channel skip

Arrow buttons?

You mean the FF/Rew buttons?

lightsout

Any comments on how well the new upscaling works?

It seems to need a pretty clean source to have much advantage. It's neat because you can do side by side live comparison, be from my testing in most sources you really have to look to see the difference.

I tried to pause to really get a good look at it but it doesn't like to work when paused. And it only works for certain framerates. I tried to use it with live TV 59hz and it kept giving me an error that that was an invalid frame rate.

lightsout

It probably doesn't have the power to upscale that many frames, to 4k. Does it have options or is it automated?

Yeah I has low, medium, and high. It's not something that's active all the time it shows on the menu screen "no active source available".

I'm still trying to understand when the processing is applied. For instance if I don't turn on resolution switching in Emby or Kodi it outputs everything at 4k. Does that mean it is doing the scaling from 720/1080, or just cleaning up the 2160p output.

These things release officially Monday. Would be nice to have to better info from Nvidia.

• Like 1

Probably not enough of a reason for me to upgrade my existing units but it looks like a nice refresh. The upscaling improvements sound interesting and the new remote sounds nice too. 

You can buy the new remote alone and use it in your old Shield