AppleTV 2 fail

smitopher

smitopher

I'm sad to report that the AppleTV does not have the power to run xbmb3c.

I have installed Gotham 13.1 on my friends AppleTV and was apparently able to run in a stable manner.

After installing XBMB3C plug-in, XBMC became unstable with frequent and random crashes.

Uninstalling XBMB3C returned XBMC to stable operation.

In testing in my home, I ran on a Ivy Bridge i5 with 8 gig of ram so the box never was stressed.

Any suggestions on an optimum setup to get XBMB3C running stably on an AppleTV?

im85288

Getting a bad gateway when trying to view those logs...in general though I'd say an Apple TV is way underpowered.

im85288

Yes from what I understand worse than a PI...which is going to be really bad :)

Some info I seen on this:

ATV2 cons (most important to me) that Pi can do:
* No 1080 output (only 720)
* No CEC
* "Stuck" at 50/60Hz and no automatic switch/sync of refresh rate (and no 24Hz)
* No 3D "support" (of course it works manually)
* After Frodo final some 1080p videos do not play well (probably audio engine and DTS without passthrough).
* Cannot connect media or peripherals directly

ATV2 pros (not as important to me though):
* WiFi out of the box (works perfectly well for me, some people have problem with atv2 and wifi for HD content but not me. Use 5Gz router though).
* AirPlay with DRM content works, not through xbmc though
* AirPlay mirroring

For something really cheap and low powered I'd recommend a Roku as the fact this addon is programmed in Python will always leave it struggling on low powered devices

xnappo

Not so sure about that.  The ATV2 has a 1ghz Cortex A8 vs the Pi's 700MHz ARM11.  Not only is there a clock speed difference, but the CortexA8 has significant architectural improvements over the ARM11.

Most of the ATV2 problems are due to the video processing - I think the Python crunching will be a lot faster.

That said - we are not going to spend a lot of time on it - it is a dead, locked platform :)

XIOS would be my 'cheap' recommendation - though still stuck on Frodo.  For only $60 more you can build a nice NUC though - which will run circles around XIOS.

xnappo

• Like 1