Problem scanning mixed library

scb99

Sorry for scanty data as it‘s 3.30am and i just got to my hotel room and dont have energy for logs etc

But i wanted to state the issue which I think is very simple

Mixed library including multiple folders with tv shows

One folder is ‘spenser for hire’

One folder is ‘spenser’

Emby does not ‘see’ the spenser folder at all, only ‘spenser for hire’

Rename the spenser folder to spenserx rescan the library and it appears

Rename back to spenser rescan and it disappears again

I suspect it’s a general bug if you’ve got folders ‘abc’ and ‘abc def’ then it only sees ‘abc def’ and skips abc

Goodnight...

Happy2Play

Can you go over folder and content naming, so I can test this?

I used those folders with s01e01.disc files and folders were seen and/or misidentified in the web client/ET.

Hi Happy2Play

Sure - by the way I’m pretty confident it wasnt misidentification as there are only about 20 or 30 directories and I clicked on each of them to make sure it wasnt there under another name. I know user error is still possible!!! but Im 90% sure at least - and i also did the search.

Anyway I have in that library

Like I say 20 or 30 directories mainly tv series

Directory ‘spenser for hire’ in that directory 20 or 30 episodes in SnnEnn format

Directory ‘spenser’ with 2 episodes

S01E01 sonething

S01E02 something else

I’ll be next to the server at the weekend and in a much better place to give you decent info then

Cheers :-)

Edited by scb99

If it’s a bug it should be fixed, for everybody’s benefit not just for me!!

I’ll check the whole thing out tomorrow.

We'd have to look at the complete folder structure to get an idea of what is happening. Right now it's just hard to visualize. Thanks.

Hi Luke

Fully understood. I didnt have so much time this w/e and only just started to look at the problem. I’m trying to narrow it down a bit if I can.

OK Here we go

Created new Library 11Test with type Mixed Content

Just two Folders with six files between them

Spenser

with contents

S01E01 Small Vices.mkv

S01E02 Thin Air.mkv

and

Spenser for Hire

with contents

S01E01 Promised Land.mkv

S01E02 No Room at the Inn.mkv

S01E03 The Choice.mkv

S01E04 Children of a Tempest Storm.mkv

So I run a library scan and have a look from the Emby app on my iphone

I see just one folder

Spenser: For Hire

This folder has four episodes as follows and this is the interesting bit

1. Promised Land

If I look at edit meta data though its source is

.../11 Test/Spenser/S01E01 Small Vices.mkv 

2. No Room at the Inn

From the metadata its source is

../11 Test/Spenser/S01E02 Thin Air.mkv

3. The Choice

../11 Test/Spenser for Hire/S01E03 The Choice.mkv

4. Children of a Tempest Storm

../11 Test/Spenser for Hire/S01E04 Children of a Tempest Storm

So you can see that what Emby has done is identified both of those folders as the same TV series and then mashed them together

Too tired to do logs tonight as I like to take the time to restart the server, just log the specific issue, and anonymise it. I just don't have the energy tonight. But, I think that was progress.

For mixed content libraries you really need to have season folders. You're asking for trouble without them.

Happy2Play

I will test again but I didn't get a merged result in my previous test, but didn't do multiple episodes per series.  

You will probably have to assign the proper ids via metadata manager to each folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

I think in general the logic should protect against id-ing a folder as something preexisting in the same library. It happens without the user being aware, that’s the dangerous thing.

It’s easy for me to fix my particular case.

But it seems for me like a beartrap for the unwary and, now I understand what happened, I can think of other scenarios where a user could get confusing results.

Happy2Play

I can not reproduce what you are getting with the provided information.  They are technically identified as unidentified movies in my test.

5dacd218d17e8_test.jpg

There is no easy way to support everyone's structure.  All we can do is better document requirements in library content types.  But ideally it would be nice to have a way to specify the content type in mixed content type like we use to have in the early days of Emby.  The auto detection mechanism has its limitations.

Hi Happy2Play

It’s weird you can’t reproduce it. The reason you can’t repro it is presumably that with the same info my files get auto-id’d and yours don’t. Can that be plugin dependant???

BUT the key point in my opinion is written above and it’s not about wrong id’s. It’s this:

I think in general the logic should protect against id-ing a folder as something preexisting in the same library. It happens without the user being aware, that’s the dangerous thing, and will lead to paradoxical results.

Anyway thanks guys and goodnight.

Edited by scb99