Tuner lock if Netflix/Home button while tv streaming- HDHR Prime

speedingcheetah
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

speedingcheetah

Issue I just noticed.

I  press the Netflix button, or the "Home", while playing back live tv, it just switches to the Install this app screen.

I relaunch Emby and reload a channel again, i notice that the sever reports that the Roku is still streaming that other channel and it is still using that tuner.

If i go back into the Emby app, and stream tv again, then back out correctly, the  Dashboard then updates and shows it is not streaming at all(but not until then),

However, the HDHomeRun Prime tuner is still active on that channel and locked to streaming to Emby.

Just locked out all 3 tuners this way.

Sever restart releases it...

It odd thing, the Sling and Hulu buttons, result in a Exit Emby app switch to # app bottom bar message appears. 

The CBS button, give different message, just simple ask if wish t Exit Emby app.

The Netflix button, always just switches to Netflix(if app installed) or to the Install page.

Seems to have override ability over the exit prompt confirmation.

It does this in other apps to.

So there is most certain something that needs work on there, detecting of the streaming being suddenly terminated, not backed out of....etc.

Aside from ripping apart the remote and destroying the buttons (cant do with the home Button of cource)....how can i stop this tuner lock situation from happening.  I intended to hand over this Roku to my mother...who most certainly will at some point press the buttons and not back out of tv stream correctly and lock all my tuners....

Edit: I also can make a tuner lock happen when i use the web interface on a computer, and play back live tv via the Play On function and select the Roku. If i try to change the channel via the small guide or back out of the app, the channel will not load, and the controls on the web interface no longer work. I can disconnect from Roku, but the tuner is still locked.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Unfortunately, there is nothing the app can do about this.

However, if you wait about 60 seconds, the server will shut down the stream.

speedingcheetah

Unfortunately, there is nothing the app can do about this.

However, if you wait about 60 seconds, the server will shut down the stream.

I have had all 3 tuners locked for over an hour....sever never shuts of stream

speedingcheetah

Can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks.

here is the last several logs from the time i was messing with it eailer today and kept having to restart the sever when i saw at least one tuner locked.

At one point, i had all 3 locked....but I cant recall what time or channels...

I just got a Nvidia shield to compare to Roku....so the Roku is disconnected atm.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63706837000.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-d9a0bb22-1ca1-42d9-84a1-705b3a9a44b5_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-d33e8f9c-da17-4bec-a44d-5e39e180c6ed_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-d951bb77-5d2b-4510-9ef2-2402db0b9355_1.txt

hardware_detection-63706837003.txt

speedingcheetah

Yea....the Nvidia Shield with its Android tv...I am liking far better than the Roku...much better experience and more what I was looking for it seems.

Roku is going to be returned to the store....

speedingcheetah

Here is when i get it to lock all 3 tuners.

Time frame is 11:17am or so. 10-17-19

IP of Roku is 192.168.0.9

I tune a channel, then hit the netflix or home button, it goes out of app instantly, i relaunch Emby, stream a different channel for a moment, then do same thing, button, then relaunch different channel.

Been waiting a few min now, the tuners are still locked, in the channel order i loaded.

The Emby Dashboard still shows as streaming the last channel i loaded 860, even though emby is closed out on the Roku for a few minutes now.

Restarted server at 11:23am.

At this point, I am preparing to reset the Roku, and return it...as i mentioned before. but wanted to try and give one more example.

post-72185-0-93786200-1571329437_thumb.png

post-72185-0-05730400-1571329444_thumb.png

Emby server logs roku.zip

speedingcheetah

Are you sure the tuners were locked, because the server thinks it has closed the streams.

Positive.

Do u see the image of the HDHR web page showing the tuners in use?

I also physical looked at tuner, and all 3 LEDs were on.

No client could play, gave No avaible streams error.

Anyway...i returned the Roku, sticking with Shield TV...it is just so much better developed.

Have you tried doing the same thing with the Shield remote?

It won't be a problem in that app.

The issue is specific to how the Roku (poorly) handles closing the app in those particular ways.

To reproduce with Android TV, you'd have to unplug the network cable or device during playback.

speedingcheetah

Have you tried doing the same thing with the Shield remote?

I have. And have yet to have it lock a tuner. Even when i tell the shield to turn off during playback, or just turn off tv or change tv input, (the CEC control is enabled.)

The Shield is instantly cutting the live tv stream correctly.

I hate the touch volume remote, getting something different shortly, and...of course, i just buy this Shield new(2017 model), and, now, i read that a new 2019 model is to be released end of this month...with faster cpu and far better remote...whelp, ill be returning/exchanging mine for the new model it seems...lolz.

speedingcheetah

What version of the Roku app? Is the system software up to date?

yes Roku full updated..it was newly purchased had had 2 os updates. I did check manually.

The emby app that was on it, was the current public release as of 10-15-19.

I did install the most recent date of the beta app, as suggested to here, and that exhibited the same behavior.

I no longer have the device so can not check actual numbers.

In the app on Roku we have a stopTranscode task that does run this: StopTranscode: /Videos/ActiveEncodings DELETE

It does it correctly with the DeviceID and all that jazz. But the problem is that only gets to run when the video is stopped. It does not run when pressing the HOME button as the video player is playing something.

The app does not get a SIGN-OFF CLEANUP event so does not get a chance to tell the server that the app is leaving when pressing HOME. The server gets to guess that the Roku has left by seeing no progress updates sent from the app anymore. When you press HOME in effect the app gets nothing to let it know what just happened. The app is just closed and away it goes with no cleanup/sign-off of the app possible. This has always been a huge problem. This creates the problem of the server having this "lag" before it closes the stream on the Roku when you press HOME. It is a problem with no cure or possible remedy yet.

The Roku does a clumsy way of not allowing us to tell the server the app is leaving when you use the HOME button during video playback. I may go to Roku forums right now and ask that they allow a signal to be sent to the app and it be allowed to have 3 seconds or so of cleanup time before the app exits or something. We need Roku to work with us on this part or it will always be this way.

tl;dr : Basically going to ask Roku on their developer forums to give us onDestroy/onStop events and a slight delay before the application is forcefully exited. This onDestroy/onStop would be identical to how every other OS treats their applications giving them time to gracefully cleanup.

Follow along here on Roku forums:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/m-p/515902#M44489

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

speedingcheetah

It Home and Netflix buttons that does this issue.

I don't know why Netflix, has no exit confirmation dialog, as the other quick launch buttons do.

This was added into the os as a feature at some point, as i see user fourms asking for that feature or complain that they kept accidentally pressing those buttons and exiting whatever app they were using.

• Solution

It has always been an issue we just suffered with but if there is a way to get Roku to recognize that onDestroy would allow applications to better serve Roku customers. That it would cut down on their complaints and better allow developers a way to communicate to their upstream that the application is about to exit that would be most wonderful. I would even bake a cake. I just hope this cake is not a lie. Roku could be gLaDOS. It is up to them to prove they are not. Cake is a lie or is not? It is up to them to decide.. lol. Have your weighted companian cube ready.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1