Permission ?

dhenzler

dhenzler

I've been playing with FreeNAS and Emby now for a week.  I had a NAS booting directly on BSD, and then had to use another computer to manage that.  How rediculous!  So after making it work, and installing Emby on my Media Center box, I knew enough about it to play with some ideas.

1. So I installed a new SSD and  loaded Linux Mint.
  2. Installed Emby
  3. Installed VMware
  4. Installed FreeNAS on BSD
  5. connected my 4 drives
  6. Created a pool called nasty
  7. Setup Samba sharing
  8. And could find and read and write to smb://freenas.local/nasty
  9. However Emby doesn't recognise the samba share... so I figured it was because of Emby not being created under dhenzler, but under emby.
  10. I have yet to get it working, but I think this is the issue.
  11. If I create a user dhenzler will that user have the rights to the samba share just like Linux Mint does?

Anyone ?

@@makarai

@@MRobi

@@bizarro252

@@FreeBSD_Lover

makarai

I am not familiar with samba shares, sounds like permission or mount issue.

If i would have to guess, i would thing that linux mint runs emby as a specific user and mounts the samba share as a different one. 

Maybe try something along these lines:

sudo mount -t cifs //server/share /media/Share -o username=nnn,password=ppp,uid=989       [1]

[1] https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=222087

Edited by makarai

dhenzler

I was able to use samba shares to connect a Linux Mint computer running Emby to my first FreeNAS box running BSD FreeNAS.  Just put the samba share into the library and the files appeared, and worked.

samba speed is much better than sftp for transfering data.  I can move data at 45MB/Sec using samba for multiple file transfers, where filezilla only did about 12MB/Sec.

I'm not familliar with the mount command.  Nor the general statement  //server/share &  /media/share

I assume that username, password, and uid need to be customized for what I want? 

More help please

mastrmind11

I was able to use samba shares to connect a Linux Mint computer running Emby to my first FreeNAS box running BSD FreeNAS.  Just put the samba share into the library and the files appeared, and worked.

samba speed is much better than sftp for transfering data.  I can move data at 45MB/Sec using samba for multiple file transfers, where filezilla only did about 12MB/Sec.

I'm not familliar with the mount command.  Nor the general statement  //server/share &  /media/share

I assume that username, password, and uid need to be customized for what I want? 

More help please

read the linked page for clues...

dhenzler

I guess the member who answered failed to note that MY FreeNAS is running inside VMware.  I have successfully done what he describes as well.  The complication is the wasted hard drive, and inability to manage the NAS on the computer that hosts it.

You get 3 points for trying... but not a Fix by a long shot.

VMware is FREE for non commercial use...  it's much better than Oracle's.

If you haven't walked in my shoes... perhaps best not answer.  If you have a box to play with... build it... takes an hour at most.

Dave