Emby [app] on FireStick keeps shutting down

knight2024

knight2024

So i see others with Nvidia Shield have the same issue.

I have had this problem for over a year, other apps for example global tv, plex etc.. all stay running on the firestick.

With the emby app it will always close itself after a few minutes, i thought it was the firestick, but Roku does it as well with the Emby app. So obviously it's Emby that has the problem. And it sucks because every single time i sit down to stream a movie i have to go into the firestick and start up Emby again just to use the emby app on my phone.

There's must be a solution by now for this.

My firestick has the lastest firmware, the emby server is the latest, etc. etc..

I personally think Emby is one of the best i have ever seen and i like many of you have tested a lot of them, i really really do not want to go back to plex, yuck. Just because of this issue.

Thanks

Can you try uninstalling the dlna plugin, then restarting the server and see if that helps? thanks.

knight2024

So i uninstalled the DLNA plug in and restarted the server and there is no difference. I have Firestick, Roku and the Emby app on either of them load fine and after around 6-8 minutes just simply goes back to the home screen on either device, so i know it's not the Firestick or Roku.

I opened Plex up on the Firestick last night and it's still running this morning. It has to be something in Emby causing it to close the app.

I find Emby far superior to Plex, the Emby app itself is more customizable. I just cannot get it to stay open. It should close when i want it to close. It just sucks having to open the Firestick app or Roku app on my phone to start Emby again and then going into the Emby app to play something.

Thanks for your time Luke, but don't waste to much time on this, but at the same time i cannot believe no one else is having issues like this. 

knight2024

Ok, so it does exactly the same thing. I tested it 3 times now and it's pretty much 18 minutes before disconnection every time. The longest it has ever been, but still just reverts back to the home screen on Firestick or Roku. The dashboard says i have disconnected from the Firestick every time it times out of course causing the Firestick to go back to the home screen, and like i said Roku is the same so it's not device specific.

I have tried the emby server from different computers, Qnap and even from a laptop just all for testing and it does exactly the same thing, doesn't matter were the server is located.

Maybe in the future the issue we be solved with a future update, i will keep testing and seeing what i may discover. 

I am leaning towards that it's something that FireStick and Roku do not like with Emby.

Thanks for the time spent on this Luke. If i ever discover the problem i will let you know.

Edited by knight2024

Hi.  You are actually talking about our Fire TV app and not the server, correct? 

If so, this is by design.  The Fire devices put themselves to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity.  If our app is running when this happens it can crash so we make sure to shut down before the stick goes to sleep.

This is the Android Server forum so I think Luke has been looking for something else.

Thanks.

knight2024

I realize the Firestick goes to sleep, I have used adblink to set the timeout feature to 24 days before it times out or goes into sleep mode so that's something i have already eliminated. But i do see what your saying that would explain why Emby shuts down in 18 minutes if the Firestick is by default is set to 20 minutes for sleep mode. But i have disabled sleep mode so there must be a way to have Emby running all the time. 

And like i was telling Luke, Plex runs until i want to shut it down even if sleep mode is enabled, but as i was saying Plex is just not as customizable as Emby, so i am trying really hard not to go back to it. Because the Emby platform is really nice. 

Thanks

Edited by knight2024

knight2024

Ok. So one last thing before i leave. Obviously the timeout i see is programmed into Emby. So i would like to know how everyone else is running there systems or at least the most common way. Is it via DLNA on a Smart Tv, because i control everything from my phone, i don't care about firestick or roku i was just using them as the streaming device. Maybe using a separate computer with HDMI out would be a better media server, i have used my main machine before but its a pain to use my main computer. 

Any recommendations ? Because having to open up the Firestick or Roku apps to activate Emby then goto Emby app on my phone and select the streaming device is a pain, i am simply trying to streamline things.  

• 10 months later...
rewojcik

I'm having this same problem. I've used Emby for a couple of years now and have been able to play my music albums for hours at a time with no problems. Now, all of a sudden, after streaming music for 15 minutes or so, the app shuts down and my screen reverts to the Fire TV main screen.

41 minutes ago, rewojcik said:

I'm having this same problem. I've used Emby for a couple of years now and have been able to play my music albums for hours at a time with no problems. Now, all of a sudden, after streaming music for 15 minutes or so, the app shuts down and my screen reverts to the Fire TV main screen.

Hi, are you casting from a mobile app, or just using the Fire TV app by itself?

Hi,

Your logs are full of errors because these paths setup in your libraries are offline.  Emby isn't designed to work with offline drives but with media that is always available.

You can improve this by turning off monitoring of drives, removing the automatic schedule scanning and only doing manual library scans when you know all media is connected.