Do not mix ports and packages in FreeBSD

FreeBSD_Lover

FreeBSD_Lover

I read a couple discussion threads and it seems users are breaking a fundamental 'rule' with FreeBSD; do not mix ports and packages.

FreeBSD users get themselves into trouble by using both the ports system and the packages system. We call that 'mixing' and it almost always ends up with all sort of issues, ghosts in your box, etc.  You have to use only ports, or only packages, but never both.

The way to get the best of both worlds is to use a packages building system like Synth or Poudrier.  I use Synth.  It lets me customize any port options I require, then does all the dependency verification work, and then it build packages right on your machine; and then installs them.  It's an amazing system, easy to use, and I have had a 100% error free system since.

Just wanted to put that out there.  Also the official FreeBSD forum is an an amazing group of people; so if you have issues considering leaning on them too.

• Like 3

bizarro252

Hello! Because I don't understand what you are talking about I am worried I may be making the mistake you are talking about... Is what you mean do not install plugins via the web GUI and install packages manually within jails?  I don't think so but want to confirm.  What is the difference between a package and a port?

And by not mixing, do you mean within a single jail?

For example... I could manually install Beta Emby in one jail, but install the stable release via the plugin page...right?  I have done that before and since I don't think I understand your warning I am worried this is the type of thing you are talking about?

Thanks

Hello! Because I don't understand what you are talking about I am worried I may be making the mistake you are talking about... Is what you mean do not install plugins via the web GUI and install packages manually within jails?  I don't think so but want to confirm.  What is the difference between a package and a port?

And by not mixing, do you mean within a single jail?

For example... I could manually install Beta Emby in one jail, but install the stable release via the plugin page...right?  I have done that before and since I don't think I understand your warning I am worried this is the type of thing you are talking about?

Thanks

What you are doing is completely fine.

Ports and Pkg are 2 ways to manually install plugins in FreeBSD. In a nutshell... Pkg is a basic pre-configured way to install something. Building from ports walks you through each configurable option and lets you fully customize everything in the setup.

What he's saying is that when you try to mix the 2 together, you could end up with all kinds of issues. For example, an option you customized while setting something up using ports could be conflicting with one of the pre-configured options in pkg.

• Like 2